[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Dispatches and Panorama Mon 30th July - Carers UK Forum

Dispatches and Panorama Mon 30th July

Discuss news stories and political issues that affect carers.
Dr Steve Bick, a GP with 20 years' experience, applied for a job as an assessor with Atos to carry out the work capability assessment (WCA), and secretly filmed his training for Channel 4's Dispatches programme, which will be broadcast on Monday 30 July at 8pm. Undercover filming shows Bick being told by his trainer that he will be watched carefully over the number of applicants he found eligible for the highest rate of disability payments.

The trainer tells trainee assessors: "If it's more than I think 12% or 13%, you will be fed back 'your rate is too high.'" When Bick questioned how the company could know in advance the precise proportion of people who needed to be put in this category, the trainer replied: "How do we know? I don't know who set the criteria but that's what we are being told."

Bick asked: "So if we put 20% in, we would get picked up on?". He was told by the trainer that, in that scenario, his cases would be reviewed.

The DWP said it was unable to respond in detail to the programme's findings because it had not been shown a full transcript, but a spokeswoman said it was "nonsense" to suggest there were targets or expected results of any sort. She said assessors' results were monitored to make sure they adhered to an average, adding: "If individual Atos healthcare professionals record results considerably outside the average, their work may be audited to ensure quality. If no issues are found with the quality of work, no action is taken."
This is going to be interesting viewing. The doctor that did my own ATOS assessment for DLA wrote the biggest load of contradictory bull**** that I have ever seen! It took months of review and appeals to get it put right, if I didn't know so much about the system I would have given up.
Dispatches sent a doctor undercover to train with Atos and the programme goes out this coming Monday. Panorama have done one as well but i dont hold out much hope for that one as its BBC. (the same channel that broadcasts Saints and Scroungers.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/ ... ssors-film
I have merged Georges and Diva's posts as about same thing.

Britain on the Sick channel 4 Mon 30th July 8pm

Using undercover filming, reporter Jackie Long investigates the shocking processes used to assess whether sickness and disability benefit claimants should be declared fit for work.

Disabled or Faking It? Mon 8.30pm

Panorama investigates the government’s plans to end the so-called ‘sick note
culture’ and their attempts to get millions of people off disability benefits
and into work. In Britain’s modern welfare state, millions are being paid to
private companies to assess sick and disabled claimants but is the system
working? Or are new tests wrongly victimising those who deserve support the
most?
Personally I would have thought that a proportion of successful appeals against an assessor's report would trigger performance questions.

Apparently not. Image
Personally I would have thought that a proportion of successful appeals against an assessor's report would trigger performance questions.

Apparently not. Image
Of course not, it's not what the government wants to hear! Image
I've just got around to watching both of the dispatches and panorama programs, i thought it was going to be bad, and i wasn't wrong.
This atos is a joke, what there saying if you have a pulse your fit for work. You go for a check at atos get 0 points, then you go to appeal win that and in a month down the road you get pulled in for another check of 0 points. And what if you have other problems like mental health, this process is going to make it 10x as bad.
I'm a carer i feel for these that are going through this process of wearing you down, you just have to google and find what as happened with so many that have gone through all this, made illness worse, some suicide. Image
Worse still, Atos just got awarded another £400m worth of contracts...
My wife and I watched these programs with horror.

Couldn't believe that Dr Bick said he had a few of his reports returned to him from "upstairs" and ORDERED to reduce some scores to zero! What the.....???

And the trainer who was saying that "all people can lipread *fire*" is totally wrong! And I should know, being a deafie myself. Lipreading is 90% guesswork and very tiring. And to prove a point, whilst I consider myself a very good lipreader, my wife and I were discussing the programs afterwards and she mentioned the *fire* part and I thought she said "file".

Not looking forward to next year onwards when they start to access us for PiP.
Worse still, Atos just got awarded another £400m worth of contracts...
Impeccable timing