[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
disabled and attending an ESA interview - Page 2 - Carers UK Forum

disabled and attending an ESA interview

Discuss news stories and political issues that affect carers.
My severely physically disabled powered wheelchair using and ventilator depnendent son only scores something like 45 points Image How the devil can this be right?

Eun
Are there any disabled/accessible toilets easily available at these interviews?
Only some centres have proper access, apparently. Best thing if you're a wheelchair user is to check ahead and ask what disability facilities they have. And if they are not suitable, explain why and request a home visit. Then put the request (in confirmation of your telephone conversation on whatever date) in writing, to make sure they don't "forget."
My severely physically disabled powered wheelchair using and ventilator depnendent son only scores something like 45 points Image How the devil can this be right?

Eun
Because in an information and knowledge-based economy the ability to handle and process information is probably the key attribute in terms of accessing paid employment, rather than the ability to empty a dustbin or operate a lathe. And there are several MPs and indeed, many other people who do not let physical or sensory impairments get in the way of paid employment.
Lilian Lawson is profoundly Deaf, yet she is a very effective director of Scotland's leading Charity for Deaf people. David Murray is a double amputee]http://www.carersuk.org/images/icon_wink.gif[/img]
I notice that most of the people you mention can actually breathe on their own - my son can't. He has tried his damndest but no-one will employ him. Instead of putting the onus onto severely disabled people to find jobs if the government are so keen on pushing severely disabled and terminally ill people into the workplace then they should supply the jobs. None of this has anything to do with "helping" disabled people into the workplace - its to do with saving money and nothing else and is very misguidded.

Eun
I notice that most of the people you mention can actually breathe on their own - my son can't.
Eun
Astronauts and Himalayan climbers cant breathe on their own either, Firemen need ventilators, and deep sea divers cant cope without carrying compressed air tanks: that doesn't stop any of them becoming popular heroes. You son is clearly a bright guy, I would employ him, as long as he can do the job.
[Astronauts and Himalayan climbers cant breathe on their own either, Firemen need ventilators, and deep sea divers cant cope without carrying compressed air tanks]quote,Scally.
But that is their CHOICE.And when they come to the surface,down the mountain or out of the fire, they can breathe unassisted again.

I am still wondering about Gordon Brown. When you say he is "legally blind," do you mean he is registered blind?Or partially sighted. Two different things. My husband was at first registered as partially sighted, he is now registered blind. David Blunkett would be registered blind,as he needs support with another person as well as a guide dog.It is obvious that Gordon Brown is able to mobilise without the aid of another person,in a way that David Blunkett would not be able to do.
I don't mean to be rude but had to post this before I lost the link.

Well the big day is almost here, last chance to speakout 'Hardest Hit Campaign'.

2m disabled people risk losing welfare support in 'tick-box medical test'

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2011/ ... um=twitter

To quote the DWP
"This is why we are introducing the Personal Independence Payment with a new face-to-face assessment and regular reviews – something lacking in the current system – to make sure people are getting the right levels of support."
What the DWP neglect to say here is how this will remove unpaid family carers from the equation in terms of benefits support.
My husband has just had a letter this am,telling him of a "want to work" programme(which is apparently voluntary).He HAS to attend an interview next Friday for a personalised support package tailored to his needs,not really voluntary!
It is at a time of day, where I need to be at home to wait for Ben. Either my daughter comes over from 10 miles away, to wait here for Ben, while I take my husband down there(he cannot get down there by himself), or Ben has to have the day off. It is my grandson's playgroup afternoon, so my daughter would prefer to be taking her son there.
My husband cannot even get a taxi there and ask for someone to meet him at the door of the jobcentre, as there will be no taxi available;they are all utilised by Social Services to transport children back and for to school in our county.
He is 55 in January,I wish they would make this effort with young people who are not in work. My daughter cannot get work, though she is applying for jobs regularly.
Is he in the support group of ESA, Laisydaisy? You have time to get advice and you may be able to get the interview postponed for some time or if he is in the support group of ESA my understanding is that he cannot be compelled to attend an interview, it is accepted that he has no reasonable chance of finding employment in the foreseeable future.