[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Dementia Village-could this work in other parts of the world - Carers UK Forum

Dementia Village-could this work in other parts of the world

Discuss news stories and political issues that affect carers.
'Dementia Village' - as it has become known -- is a place where residents can live a seemingly normal life, but in reality are being watched all the time. Caretakers staff the restaurant, grocery store, hair salon and theater -- although the residents don't always realize they are carers -- and are also watching in the residents' living quarters.

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/07/11/world ... hpt=ieu_t2
Near me there used to me a large hospital for those with learning difficulties. The former manager told me, when we met there for a meeting, that it was in many ways, a lovely safe environment. There were, it is true, some profoundly handicapped people there, but they were in a secure unit. The others lived in group homes, and there was a laundry etc. etc. on site. There was a good community spirit, and people were safe. My son M with SLD, went to a Camphill School when he was eight years old, for the rest of his school days. Again, beautiful grounds, group homes, everyone knew everyone else, and made allowances for each other. The same organisation has a place called Botton Village, for adults in a similar setting. Now he lives alone in a flat on a former council estate. He keeps it like a palace, far tidier than my own home, but apart from his carers, there is no real social interaction. At the moment, I'm having endless problems with his care providers. The manager has two children under five, the service has expanded, and she can't cope. Sadly, my eldest son and I have come to the conclusion that this is not the long term solution for M, because he is very lonely. In an ideal world, I'd like to see him living in his own place, but with other friends around him, to have a laugh and a joke with, share a beer, etc. etc. McCarthy and Stone build similar places for elderly people, but there's nowhere for those with learning difficulties. It I won the lottery, I'd certainly build it!
My lottery win would be a holiday village for the disabled.
Log cabins all easily accessible, all amenities including café for those who didn't want to cook, hairdressers etc with a coach for optional days out.
A friend of mine is hemiplegic and she struggles to find anywhere, at a reasonable cost, there is a definite need for something.
There is a fabulous new retirement village in my area that has flats and appartments for the over 55s - they range from needing no care or support through to those who have high care needs due to physical difficulties and dementia. It looks lovely and those who have visited are very impressed by it.

The parents I meet with for coffee from S's college always say we'd love one for the learning disabled too. It would offer enough flexibility for individual care and the young people could have supported work in the onsite facilities ....

Was it Daylily who posted about something similiar recently?

Melly1
Hi,
Melly 1 you're right. We were on the waiting list for one of the flats in an extra care facility. It was fabulous, brand new and they were still setting things up like a shop etc.
I was really looking forward to being part of the community there as I am so lonely now hubby does not follow conversations properly, I offered to do a flower arranging day and organise a sewing centre.
Took hubby for a look around and his first words were 'Get me out of here', we were offered a meal but hubby would not even taste it, (lunch was included in the rent).
I think it was all the older people in the dining room that put hubby off, hubby was only 61 at the time and most of the residents were in their 70's or 80's, didn't bother me as I was used to working with older people and always get on well with most people.
With hindsight we should have looked at the flat first and then gone down for the meal.
Take care all.
We live in a disabled only development of houses and its like living in a disability ghetto - I don't like it but we don't have a choice.

Eun
Let's start off by assuming that people with disabilities like much the same things that we do: a strange and sometimes contradictory mixture of privacy and community, familiarity but also surprises, control and autonomy, but also responsibility, duty and respect.
Now, how many of us would choose to live in a "village" of like minded people? Actually, quite a few flirt with the idea: the idea of communal living has equally fascinated and repelled us since we crawled out of the swamps.
Ladies, would you join a Convent? Gentlemen, a Monastery? Probably not.
Our homes are mainly just a safe place to eat and sleep, in privacy: what really matters is when we awaken and go outside.
I think a lot of this debate centres on the word "choice". Some people would choose to live here, some would not, but either way it should be their choice. This should be available for those who want it, but it should not be compulsory so that people are forced there. That way it can become a community and not a ghetto.