[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
DAN blocks Whitehall against Welfare Reform Act - Carers UK Forum

DAN blocks Whitehall against Welfare Reform Act

Discuss news stories and political issues that affect carers.
http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/2008/12/414291.html

Yesterday (Wednesday 3rd December, International Day of Disabled People 2008) at 2pm, activists from the UK Disabled People's Direct Action Network (DAN) and London Coalition Against Poverty (LCAP) blocked traffic both ways on Whitehall, directly outside Downing Street, for over 45 minutes in protest against the new Welfare Reform Act, which replaces Incapacity Benefit with a much more punitive "Employment Support Allowance" and forces disabled people into "workfare" schemes which are effectively free labour for corporations.
well done to the lot of them DAN & LCAP have my support.

But you know what some cynic`s will say if they can get into Whitehall and stop rush hour trafic why cant they get a job
You don't have to actively do anything to stop traffic. Just sit there and do nowt.

And very effective it can be, too.
Fact is some people on disability benefits are doing quite nicely, and they would probably be worse off if they had to work.
I know a person who helps to run a boarding house whilst living on benefit. he went to canda for his holidays this year. If he can carry cases up a flight of steps, I reckon he can do a proper job and pay taxes like other workers.
I spent five years on the dole and I know the stress these work related 'interviews' can bring, one of my friends committed suicide owing to the pressure of being out of work.
Direct action gets a little publicity, but it is unlikely to change public policy.
g.herchel hit the nail on the head, and not only cynics will say 'why can't they get a job if there is a suitable vacancy?
normangardner