[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Council pays out £9,000 for failing carer and disabled man - Carers UK Forum

Council pays out £9,000 for failing carer and disabled man

Discuss news stories and political issues that affect carers.
A council has agreed to pay a carer £9,000 for assessment failings that made it more difficult for her to request support in caring for her severely disabled son.

The Local Government Ombudsman issued a critical report on Worcestershire Council today regarding the case of Mr and Ms Crown (not their real names).

Mr Crown, who has cerebral palsy, has round-the-clock care needs that were mostly met by his mother until 2008, when she formally requested help in the form of direct payments, which now cover his full care needs.

The ombudsman's report found that from 2003 Ms Crown was feeling increasing strain in her role and Mr Crown was seeking more independence from her.
read in full here
I've often thought of taking my local authority to court for their failings. I've even had employees state categorically that they've failed in many areas with our family but getting a lawyer to take on the local authority is another matter.

Apparently (in Scotland anyway) even if we win in court if the council pleads poverty it can't be forced to pay and I'm likely to end up with a huge bill for the costs of the case... a risk I can't afford to take.

Shame really.. if more of us could take our LAs to court for their failings maybe they'd get their acts together.
I might take mine to court then!