'Consultations' for DLA to be renamed PIP

Discuss news stories and political issues that affect carers.
66 posts
Yes.
I think that can be translated directly into an impact on Carers. For instance, a person reaching age 65, severely disabled, who has a Motability car that their Carer drives for them, would find themselves not only without any transport but also without any State Pension also! It would of course fall to the Carer to pay for transport.
We can also see that the increase in pension age is unfair to women, read this bit by Ann Begg:-

http://www.theyworkforyou.com/debates/? ... 22#g1196.2

[quote]Women who began their working lives expecting to get a state pension at 60-that happens to include me-will now have to wait another six years for it. On a quick calculation, that will save the Government £32,000 on today's basic state pension. It will come out of the pockets of women who are roughly my age and will stay with the Government. We will have to increase the indexation an awful lot more to make up for the £32,000 that those women will lose as a result of the increase in the state pension age by six years.

I appreciate that the measure whereby women born in 1955 would have to wait until 2020, when they were 65, to receive their income was already in train, but what about the women born between 6 October 1953 and 5 April 1955, who had already made all their financial plans but will now have to work for more than one further year before they can receive their basic state pension? The Minister has said on numerous occasions that that measure alone will save the Government £10 billion. All that is a win-win for the Government]

Yet another indication that a lot of the Welfare Reforms are nothing to do with deficit reduction.
I read this article today, it may be of interest to some carers.

http://www.citywire.co.uk/money/top-up- ... -news-list
The removal of entitlement to DLA/PIP will approximately halve the number of claimants entitled to DLA or its replacement PIP,.
A possible double whammy for some families if the reduction/withdrawal of middle/high rate DLA means entitlement to Carers allowance is also affected.
Claimants will have to claim AA, Rosemary. How the DBCS is going to manage a sudden and large influx of claims for AA does not seem to have been considered by the government, AA supercessions are taking 11 weeks at the moment and claimants are being asked not to contact the DBCS until 11 weeks have passed to enable the DBCS to deal with claims more quickly. I think that we can anticipate a significant delay in processing claims along with equally significant hardship and uncertainty for claimants and their carers as they wait for decisions.

On 17 February, the day of the publication of the Bill, Maria Miller gave this written statement in reply to the following written question:

[quote]John Leech (Manchester, Withington, Liberal Democrat)

To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions what assessment he has made of the proportion of the mobility element of disability living allowance that is spent by recipients on (a) critical and (b) social needs.
Hansard source (Citation: HC Deb, 17 February 2011, c953W)

Maria Miller (Parliamentary Under Secretary of State (Disabled People), Work and Pensions; Basingstoke, Conservative)

DLA provides a cash contribution towards the extra costs arising from disability and uses mobility and care needs as proxies for those extra costs. The benefit is unconditional and recipients are free to use it according to their own priorities.

A recent report conducted by the university of York for the Department "The impact of Disability Living Allowance and Attendance Allowance: Findings from exploratory qualitative research"-Research Report No. 649-available at:

http://research.dwp.gov.uk/asd/asd5/rpo ... rep649.pdf

suggests that disability living allowance recipients spend the benefit on a wide range of mobility support to meet their needs. This includes]

When you look at the uses of the mobility component it is hard to understand how the government can justify its removal, not only from all over 65s but also those working-age claimants who will not meet the new criteria, these are important aids to mobility and safety and one wonders how those who lose the component will be able to fund them in the future.
In the mythical world of government everyone who needs mobility assistance to work will get it through the Access to Work scheme.

No comment. Image
Some will get their electric wheelchairs (funded by DLA payments) pulled from under them, literally, and we all know who ends up pushing the wheelchairs when that happens!

Its not a well thought out move is it?
Neither is the withdrawal of the Independent Living Fund going to help matters - I have grave concerns about this. I have just received a response from Maria Miller on this topic, (via my MP Greg McClymont), and it is looking very bleak. Existing users will be protected, but it is likely that in future new claimants will simply end up in institutional care, which is a huge step backwards for those severely disabled children who have benefited by mainstream education: it is totally unacceptable and a denial of their human rights.
Alternatively, they will have to look for support elsewhere in the system, but local authorities dont have much wriggle room on Direct Payments either given the size of cuts they are facing... it's not good, not good at all.
It seems that this government is intent on rolling back decades of progress which has enabled people with disabilities to live independent lives and participate in mainstream society. The closure of the ILF, the plan to remove entitlement to DLA from 20% of claimants along with the plan to remove the mobility component from all care home residents and all over 65s, cuts to income-replacement benefits, including benefits which pay towards housing costs, cuts in social care and further cuts to come, the future looks bleak and especially bleak for those who have no family to support them both practically and financially.
66 posts