[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Computers for Carers. - Page 3 -Carers UK Forum

Computers for Carers.

Discuss news stories and political issues that affect carers.
I love the quaint idea that computers are a potential solution to the misery and isolation of carers lives. I might qualify that statement slightly.....

We had six of them in this household at last count, of which two belonged to employers or vol orgs for which we work and were therefore single function, one was my daughters very expensive student Gateway laptop and keeps breaking, two aging PCs which require constant memory and virus upgrades and are slow as anything, one mini-laptop that came free with a mobile phone, and a brand new iMac running Snow Leopard OS (whatever that is!) that only my son with DS really knows how to work and use properly because he has used them at school for ages. They are all networked. So why aren't I very happy? Reason is, I seem to spend my entire life keeping them all running for everyone else ... !

Moral of the story: you can indeed have too much of a good thing. Image
"The Man in the Arena"

It is not those who count; not those who point out how the strong man stumbles,
or where the doer of deeds could have done better.
The credit belongs to those who are actually in the arena,
whose faces are marred by dust and sweat and blood;
who strive valiantly; who err and care and shout again and again, who know the great enthusiasms;
who at best know the triumph of high achievement and if they fail,
at least fail while doing greatly so that their place shall never be,
with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.

Extract from Theodore Roosevelt’s
Speech at the Sorbonne
Paris, France
April 23, 1910
"The Man in the Arena"

who strive valiantly; who err and care and shout again and again, who know the great enthusiasms;

Speech at the Sorbonne
Paris, France
April 23, 1910
Mmm that rings a bell, very thought provoking Image
"The Man in the Arena"

Speech at the Sorbonne
Paris, France
April 23, 1910
Mmm that rings a bell, very thought provoking Image
more like another poor attempt to boing the gong.
Quote]
more like another poor attempt to boing the gong.
Actually this is one of the powerful quotes I've included in our new Carer Booklet as I use it often in times of stress - usually when gearing up for another onslaught with NHS or Social Services.
I find it very empowering - it helps me stay focused!
(((hugs)))
marie x
"The Man in the Arena"

Speech at the Sorbonne
Paris, France
April 23, 1910
It certainly creates an interesting image of Excalibur sweating over a malfunctioning computer, I had not thought of sorting out the family's software as heroic before, I will remember it next time my mother asks me to sort out her laptop Image Image .
Actually I was thinking there couldn't be a better description of the efforts made to make the protest a success last year, or the efforts to make this year more successful.
Very true charles - it's one of those quotes that does make you feel powerful when you need to push that extra bit harder well, I think so anyway and it works for me! Image

marie x
I thought Wendy was referring to the 400 protest marchers too ... are we being damned with faint praise, was the quote too gnomic to be decipherable, or do we have a suprising new CPA evangelist in our midst? If so, welcome to the fold.

That's the trouble with written irony and unexplained quotations, you need to imagine an arched eyebrow or a dramatic pause, or write in your own annotation; and somehow it never reads the way it was intended ....

Oh well. Back to slaving over a hot malfunctioning computer network, it's a tough life but somebody has to do it ..... Image

PS, where did the potato peeler icon go, btw, Wendy? I loved that, it struck a note of heroic defiance. Or something. A bit like wielding a rolling pin.

PSS, What is this thing with spuds? Image
Computers for carers has helped quite a few carers to gain or maintain their links with the outside world when they have been isolated by the demands of caring and a limited budget. I know of some of those carers through Wendy's Chill4Carers site and the occasional mention here and on other sites.

We know from our contacts here how important those links can be. But we also know it's not the only thing that matters and for some of us it's less of a priority.

I'm sure none of us who have been involved in any type of campaign for carers is seeking praise - the important thing is that we achieve what we set out to do: that's praise enough for whoever we are. But we're all deserving of some respect.

Let's accept that and maintain the respect please.