[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
City urged not to cut 'lifeline' for disabled - Carers UK Forum

City urged not to cut 'lifeline' for disabled

Discuss news stories and political issues that affect carers.
TWO city MSPs have urged the council not to cut a "lifeline" for adults with learning disabilities in the Capital.

Edinburgh Central Labour MSP Sarah Boyack and her Lothians colleague George Foulkes visited Garvald Day Centre in Gorgie Road to see firsthand why its users value the service it provides.

They claimed a decision by the city council to no longer fund users assessed as having "moderate" or "low" support needs, and only pay for places for those with "high" support needs, meant about 36 people, some of whom have been attending for 20 years, would be left with no support.

Ms Boyack said: "The services at Garvald are a lifeline for its users irrespective of their needs. The SNP/Lib Dem administration urgently needs to come forward with some straight answers."

Mr Foulkes added: "Parents and carers are very distressed at the prospect of their loved ones having to walk the streets on the days they would normally be learning and integrating with others."

A council spokeswoman said it was consulting with carers and service users about future services from Garvald and a meeting was planned with the Garvald board.

Scotsman
i hadnt heard about garvald.
it is a great day centre, i have visited it a number of times with pupils from the school i work in as part of my work with school leavers.
it is a old building granted and not 100% accessable but at least 90% so not bad compared with some places.
it is part of a big charity who do lots of work in scotland with folk with learning disabilities. in edinburgh they run at least to day centres ,a workshop/conference centre.a garden growing veggies for the 2 cafes/catering business they have on the same site there is a cottage for respite, and a compost recycling/making area just along the road.
and about 10 mile down the road there is a fully working farm all manned with people with learning disabilities.
at garvald day centre there is a fantastic woodwork workshop where instruments are made and sold to local shops also they collect old garden tools and refurbish them and send to africa,also a bakery /confectionary workshop where bread and scones are sold to edinburgh shops on a daily basis, there is also a puppetery workshop where punch and judy type puppets are made.
they are staffed by many volunteers from around the word as well as regular staff[ a sort of commune feeling is had.]

myra
Sorry to have posted that Myra.
also a bakery /confectionary workshop
Could you do me a favour please if not too much trouble, and find out if this
is the same place the Breadmakers video was made and where these young adults will be going.
thats it rosemary, i know a few of the people on it, they were pupils at the other special school in west lothian we did the leavers programme together for a few years .

myra
Myra,

If you hear anything further about Garvald can you let me know please.Either here or by pm.We see cutbacks all the time and places closing down but ensuring other arrangements are in place is not always happening.
They claimed a decision by the city council to no longer fund users assessed as having "moderate" or "low" support needs, and only pay for places for those with "high" support needs, meant about 36 people, some of whom have been attending for 20 years, would be left with no support.
Where is the vision ? Are the young disabled going to be going the same as the elderly wherein criteria is tightened more and more and means less people access a service.As much as Personalisation is being pushed forward, in other respects it is taking steps backwards.
Will a few access this service but at the cost to many? Those with moderate and low needs have as much a right to a full life as possible and not just an existance.

Once again more pressure will be placed on family carers.
Whats the old saying...There are none so blind as those who will not see . Well this govt/all parties are acting both blind and deaf.They are refusing to see what we see and also close their ears to what we say.

The news articles only give a very small picture of what is going on.Can you give us any more details of what is happening in your surrounding area Myra?

Much appreciated
Rosemary

x x x
U turn

A CENTRE supporting people with learning difficulties is celebrating after the council performed a U-turn and agreed to continue funding dozens of its members.

The Garvald Centre was told on Christmas Eve that the local authority would no longer pay for those with low to moderate support needs to attend the much-loved facility.

Good news Meg

x x