[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Income Support + Working P/T - Carers UK Forum

Income Support + Working P/T

Discuss news stories and political issues that affect carers.
I'm a full time carer for my wife for almost 5 yrs now. We both agreed that getting a part time job would do us both a world of good since we seem to argue a lot. I had gotten the job accepted it and informed IS who then told me the worst news I had ever had.

I could earn £20 and then every penny after that would be taken out of my IS, So after a 15hr/week job I'll earn myself £20. Its the first time i've been told going out to work would mean I actually be out of pocket.

Has anyone else had this problem??
Its called the poverty trap, most carers are affected in one way or another, .... and its a real b!tch. The system needs radical reform, now.
I agree,

I would love to go back to work, having to turn down work because of this grates me. I was told that the only legit way to get money is for my wife to find a job as well, then claim on tax credits etc.

Why is it that carers allowance allows you to earn £93 before its taken away however IS says £20 don't they talk to each other and get the rules in order?
I would love to go back to work, having to turn down work because of this grates me. I was told that the only legit way to get money is for my wife to find a job as well, then claim on tax credits etc.
I know some pepole even struggling in this way Image Image Image
Why is it that carers allowance allows you to earn £93 before its taken away however IS says £20 don't they talk to each other and get the rules in order?
It is just a negative chain reaction and so on - once pepole start claiming some benefit we are trapped in it...It does not empower us or encourage us to get back to a right track and then we can have a better life Image Image Image sigh---
If you're feeling strong enough, check the scarey maths thread - I actually sat down and worked out what I'd need to earn (just to break even) if I were to get a job while remaining a carer.

It's not just about how much money you lose, there's the problem of disqualifying yourself and your "partner" (DWP word of choice) from free prescriptions and also the cost of commuting + workwear.
Yes I have just been to my local jobcentre to try to clam JSA. I look after the mrs who is permanently disabled and in recepit of IC and DLA, I have been out of work and a carer to her for 15 yrs now, I get nothng to care for her as shes on the low rate of care and the high rate of mobility, thing is I need to get a job as thers not enough money to pay the bills, mortgage etc now.

The jobcentre would not let me sign on/ claim JSA as they say i would get nothing, they also said I could earn any amount but if I earned over £10 the rest would be taken off the mrs's IS penny for penny, so i cannot work cause of stupid rules, (The best of it was is there was 2 jobs on the computers i could do in the jobcentre, I pointed this out!)

The guy said i would be worse off so dont bother geting a job, I was really annoyed by this so I went to see a solicitor about it but they wont take the case on, they just told me to write to my MP and go to the CAB, I will write to my local MP, Yvette Cooper and Ed Balls too. Who the hell are they to tell me i cannot work, I need the money to pay the bills and keep a roof over my head. Its a rediculas situaion which I have had toput up with for 15 yrs now.
The rules re: carers and earnings really give me the pip too. Image

If you only need to work 16 hours to qualify for tax credit with dependant children so why the heck, to qualify for the same help, do you need to be working 30 hours if your dependant is a disabled person?? Image Image Image
Come on, there's no term time help meaning more support's needed and for 52 weeks of the year.
That 'lil parly pearl of wisdom, makes me hopping mad! Image
Shows they still 'aint got a clue. Image Image Image

marie x
now the CAB tells me I have to work for 30 hrs but I can only find a job for 20 hrs a week so they said get 2 jobs, but I said who looks after the mrs when iam in work. She cannot get around without me? She will be stuck in the house till I get back from work?? Good advice eh??????????????

I give up Image Image Image Image Image Image
I think Carers UK needs to get an accountant to look at some of these examples and raise a stink. I mean, even if we do work the government takes roughly 50% of everything we earn in income tax, NI, council tax, VAT etc etc... then we have the extra costs of respite which are not properly accounted for because the rules are too restrictive... you know, must be a "registered" childcare provider, when in this area there isnt a registered childcare provider for miles that will take a teenager with a learning disability.

Then we are expected to be accountants ourselves in terms of record keeping and calculating what we can claim and what we cant ... I'm not psychic, and I'm not that good with sums either, and there are no online ready reckoners out there.
I agree something needs to be done especially when the job centre turns me away and offers me no help to get work when I want it, and I haven't worked for 15yrs due to my caring responsibilties eitheir.