[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
absolutely shocking! - Carers UK Forum

absolutely shocking!

Discuss news stories and political issues that affect carers.
What a sad sad world we live in ................

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... lures.html

I hope heads will roll for this.
It certainly is a shocking world:
In all, at least 15 calls were made by neighbours.
So why couldn't those same net-twitching neighbours just pop in themselves with some hot soup (as we were encouraged to do for old folk in the community when we were children) and offer some neighbourly help over Christmas and the cold snap - rather than expect the "authorities" to do everything and absolve their consciences with a phone call?

Sure there may well have a been an abject failure by the authorities to respond to urgent calls - no doubt this will all come out in due course. But at its core, society depends on people who actually do something themselves.

I had a visit from two uniformed police officers a year or so ago enquiring about my son. A neighbour had seen him walking down the road unaccompanied and thought he might be "lost". So rather than stop her bloody car and ask him, she phoned the police. He wasnt lost, he was just walking home on the pavement as any 15 year old does ... and as it happened I was only 200 yards behind him but trying to keep out of sight so that he can gain the confidence to do the walk by himself, but keeping a close eye on him to ensure his safety..Grrrrrr!

As long as we rely on "the authorities" to do every simple little thing for us we will always be disappointed and taxes will continue to rise inexorably - the first failure was the neighbours. If in doubt, do it yourself.
So why couldn't those same net-twitching neighbours just pop in themselves with some hot soup
I caught this on the news yesterday and the couple did take meals over and I think it was this that alerted them to contact all the services and charities to try and get help! Image
The news report I watched had neighbours on who had reported as far back as last summer that this couple needed help. Another lady said she had requested help for them recently but had been told as she was not family to more or less go away.
Possibly be a while before all the facts are known.
This story is so so sad. We used to have an elderly lady who lived underneath us and i used to knock on her door but she would NEVER answer so we had to resort to shoving a note through her letterbox. Some people are too frightened to anawer their doors unfortuntely but this couple were failed twice first by the authorities and then by society and those failures cost them their lives
They apparently died of natural causes. Heart attacks, cold, etc are a natural cause. Some folk are actually too bloody-minded to accept help even when it is offered. Some are even too mean to turn on their own heating or too proud to phone 999. Social services don't actually have a statutory responsiblity to bang down the doors of people who refuse help. So I think we can probably put this one down in the pending file as yet another tabloid story where there may be lots of tasty information yet to come, rather than jump to any conclusions. General Elections have been lost because politicians jumped on similar one-sided stories without asking the right questions ..... but we better expect lots more tabloid stories like this in the months to come.
Party leaders flaunt their vote-winning child-friendly credentials, but ignore those at the other end of the spectrum

The Liberal Democrats have blithely dropped their commitment to funding long-term social care for the elderly. The Tories see grandparents as babysitters, a useful tool for looking after the young. Labour is more interested in encouraging those in their seventies and eighties to work longer.
According to the report in the Telegraph today, this sad couple refused to let anyone into the house and had cut themselves off from their extended family. One neighbour had bought them thermal clothing before Christmas, as well as taking them food.

What reports would have been in the papers if SS or police had broken down doors (I know they probably can't legally do so, but what if ...) and dragged them out to a care home? I don't believe we will ever totally prevent this sort of case; for all sorts of reasons, a minority of people won't or can't ask for or accept help.
It is very difficult. I have an elderly neighbour who lives in a rundown, damp freezing cold home. I can smell the damp when she opens the front door but she wont accept any help. She doesnt let anyone over her threshold and I have given her our phone number if she ever needs shopping etc, but she has never called.
It is very difficult. I have an elderly neighbour who lives in a rundown, damp freezing cold home. I can smell the damp when she opens the front door but she wont accept any help. She doesnt let anyone over her threshold and I have given her our phone number if she ever needs shopping etc, but she has never called.
Quite a lot of people never let anyone over their door. I know, because I always write to people before calling on them in the course of my research work, but some will not open the door under almost any circumstances or time of day. It's a shame, some folk are deeply suspicious of other people, some maybe mentally ill or just living in fear because they think everytime someone gets mugged or hurt that it will be them next - they can't assess the real risk of something bad happening, which is really very low indeed. Living in fear must be dreadful. Don't have any answers, my granny was also very fearful, she lived in a very safe neigbourhood but put in these huge electric steel shutters that came down at night!