CARERS STRATEGY 2019 ? All The Build Up To The Non Event Of This Decade ? A White Flag Raised Even Before It's Announced

Discuss news stories and political issues that affect carers.
119 posts
Hello , hello , what's going on here then ? ( London readers ? just ignore the " H's " ).

Very interesting ... is it not ?

Bear in mind it's from the Daily Chuckle ... REVOLUTION ? ... regretably not , just an eye catching headline :

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... today.html

A revolution to help Britain's army of unpaid carers: Workers who look after relatives will be offered flexible working including extended lunch breaks and ten extra days off

Millions of adults who care for sick or ageing relatives will be offered flexible work hours under a landmark Government pledge announced today.

They could start later, finish earlier or have an extended lunch break to help them look after a loved one.

As part of a package of measures, carers will also be entitled to paid ‘carers’ leave’ so they can attend hospital appointments or look round care homes.

The length of this leave is still to be determined but charities are suggesting up to ten days a year on top of annual leave for holidays.

( Sorry , am I reading this in a parrellel universe ??????
Got it , WORKING carers ... read on ! )

Ministers are today promising to do much more to help the estimated one in eight adults in England who are informal carers. Acknowledging how they are selflessly ‘putting their lives on hold’, officials are pledging to enable them to stay in work, and receive emotional support.

( Crocodile tears time ? )

GPs will be urged to look out for carers among their patients and point them to support groups or counsellors if necessary. Approximately 5.5million adults in England are unpaid carers, 58 per cent of which are women. This figure is expected to rise to 7.5million over the next 20 years as the population ages.

Carers are estimated to be saving the economy £132billion a year and yet they receive very little help. Ministers from six government departments have today published a carer action plan setting out how to support them over the next two years.

It is being led by care minister Caroline Dinenage, who saw her mother care for her ageing grandmother as she was growing up.

Crucially, the action plan promises to allow carers flexible hours in full and part-time jobs. The free hours, before or after work, or during an extended lunch break, would enable them to pop home to check on a relative.

Miss Dinenage said: ‘It’s a sad fact that carers too often feel ignored, isolated or taken for granted, and given any one of us could become a carer at some point in our lives, Government and society must do more to support them.

‘I want to see better recognition of carers across society so that they can get the support they need. As a former business owner I recognise the contribution carers could bring if employed. Why can’t more employers offer flexible options that enable carers to work alongside caring, or re-enter the workforce after time off?

‘My mother cared for my grandmother when she developed dementia and she balanced this with supporting me through the birth of my first child.

‘Her support was indispensable but it must have been a challenge to balance these responsibilities and still have time for herself.

‘I like to think she could have benefitted from the plan we’re now working to roll out to more carers, to help improve and enrich their lives.’

Currently, carers have a right to ask for flexible hours from their employer but there is no guarantee they will be granted.

The Department of Health and Social Care is drawing up a scheme – to be published next month – which will explain to companies how to offer flexible working patterns for carers.

However, employers will still have the right to refuse requests. But at the same time, officials from four Government departments including the Treasury and the Department for Work and Pensions are considering introducing dedicated employment rights for carers. These would include a right to flexi-time as well as a right to paid carers’ leave, which charities say should be between five and ten days a year.

There is also minimal financial support at present – some carers can claim £64.60 a week but only if they care for 35 hours a week or more and earn less than £120 a week.

Next month, ministers will publish a long-awaited green paper setting out key improvements to the country’s ailing social care services.

This document will also address how the social care system should be funded, although it is unlikely to make any final recommendations.

Helena Herklots, head of the charity Carers UK, said: ‘The publication of the action plan provides welcome recognition from across Government of the need to put in place practical measures now to improve support for carers.

‘Increasingly, the Government is recognising that more and more of us are trying to manage this juggling act and we need supportive workplaces and the back up from quality care services.’

( Oh dear ... lip service again ? )

Okay , never look a gift horse in this mouth ?

This one is donkey !!!

Cost to the Government ?

Zilch ... falls on the employer.

Not working ?

No effect , no help !

Some carers will benefit , most will not ... ESPECIALLY LONE CARERS AND CARERS CARING FOR MORE THAN 50 HOURS ... where the greatest need for affordable support rests.

" WORK / WORK / WORK and .... WORK "

Is that the theme to be running through the CS ?

A NEW BERLIN TYPE WALL ... THOSE WHO CAN BALANCE WORK WITH CARING , AND THOSE WHO CANNOT ?

Guess who gets to live in the Western half of Berlin ???

Even more significant ... our own support organisation not condemning that " New " wall ... which was in existence in the thinking and planning of the last CS , almost a decade ago as previous postings point out !!!

You all have been warned ... repeatedly !!!

#######################################################################

When this proposal was put to the members of the carer army , it was recorded that said motion was passed overwhelmingly with 0.1% of the membership voting " Yes " ... the other 99.9% voting " No " were simply ignored ... a " Yes " vote was required !

A Union spokesperson added ... " As you can see , democracy in action. We listen to all our members concerns , and then act on what we think is best for them ... in line with the Government' policy prevailing at the time. "

" The ranks of our members increase daily. Caring is a choice and , as the statistics quite clearly show , they are happy to do so on the terms and conditions of our Lord Kitch. "

" 'Alf starve 'em , withdraw vital support , they keep coming back for more. "

" By the end of 2020 , seven million under the lash , pensioners and children as well. The Government are very pleased , that £ 132 BILLION will be pushing £ 150 BILLION , and no real resistance to pushing more NHS duties their way as more beds are urgently needed. "

" We even asked for their comments on that aspect. So few replied , so we knew that the Government were onto a safe bet. "

" Just shows how the System is maximising it's resources . Slaves ... sorry ... carers by the millions saving everyone else paying more tax. "
New thread to be crossed referenced with this one.

Suggest reading that thread then return to this one.

https://www.carersuk.org/forum/news-and ... land-33403

At the centre of attention , a 31 page Carers Action Plan 2018 to 2020.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... 8-2020.pdf

No need for me to add anything further , make of it what you will in line with the existing postings on this thread.

It's YOUR future , not mine , time for YOUR input !!!
Action Plan reaction ?

A trawl through the first editions on the major UK news web sities ... plus a couple more to be sure.

Result ?

Zilch ! I'll repeat trawl later this morning.
Correction ... spoke too early :

Care appointments web site ... a conference level outfit when compared with the news outlets in the premiership !

https://www.careappointments.co.uk/care ... d-response

New two-year action plan to support unpaid carers draws mixed response.

New Government measures aimed at supporting carers have drawn a mixed response.

The two-year action plan includes a scheme to boost employment help for carers, and a £500,000 innovations fund to find fresh methods of support.

The MS Society expressed concern at a lack of "any real commitment" to increase financial support for carers in the package, but welcomed measures to encourage flexible working.

In the UK, one in 10 adults provide unpaid care for a family member or friend who cannot cope without their help because of illness, disability, a mental health problem or an addiction.

The plan will also fund a review to find the best ways to identify young carers and help them access support.

Care Minister Caroline Dinenage (pictured) said: "It's a sad fact that carers too often feel ignored, isolated or taken for granted, and given any one of us could become a carer at some point in our lives, government and society must do more to support them.

"Together these measures are a step-change in the way we support carers so they can gain employment, learn the skills they need to succeed and feel supported by the communities they live in.

( 21 Hour Rule !!!!!!!! )

"Our review to identify young carers will ensure they don't slip through the net."

Labour's shadow minister for social care Barbara Keeley said Tory cuts had been "inhumane".

"This action plan is notable for planning very little action that would actually support carers, when the need for support through better-funded social care has never been more urgent," she said.

"After eight years of inhumane Tory cuts to council budgets, there is a £6.3 billion hole in social care funding. That means there are 400,000 fewer people receiving publicly funded care, and that is heaping pressure on unpaid carers."

The MS Society's director of external affairs, Genevieve Edwards, said: "While we're encouraged to see positive steps on employment in the carers action plan, there remains a lack of any real commitment to increase financial support for carers.

"Unpaid carers are under untold pressure, with over four in 10 admitting they struggle to make ends meet. Given it's their contribution keeping our social care system afloat, they deserve better.

"The Government must urgently deliver a funding solution so the system works for unpaid carers, and everyone else who relies on it, both now and in the future. People with MS can't wait any longer."

The Centre for Ageing Better's chief executive Dr Anna Dixon said: "Proposals to strengthen flexible working for full and part time workers, as well as provide paid carers leave, are extremely welcome."

Oh dear , must watch our Ps and Qs ?

Still , a fresh stater for ten ... must be one later ?
Odd ... work , work , work and ... work !

And yet , NO increase in the earnings limit , nor relaxation in the 21 Hour Rule.

No mention of that in the Carers UK press release.

Smoke and mirrors again ?
For readers with strong stomachs ... Carers Radio ... interview with Caroline Dinenage , Care Minister ... be warned !

https://youtu.be/NO0BD2VC7MY

7 minutes worth ... enjoy ?

No need for a jury ... GUILTY !
That " Other " outfit's response :

Giles Meyer, CEO of Carers Trust, said:

“We’re pleased that the Government has published its long-awaited Carers Action Plan. We’re also pleased to see the results of the Call for Evidence, which we responded to, along with carers and local services.

“It is good to see commitments from the government to England’s diverse range of carers, and we hope it makes a significant difference as we await the long-term changes that we expect the social care green paper to make to the funding carers and local services need.

Suffice to say , at least I posted it ???
Difficult morning for trawling ... a SECOND article finally tracked down ... Local Government web site of all places ... another Conference level outfit.

https://www.localgov.co.uk/Action-plan- ... ched/45413

‘Action plan’ to support unpaid carers launched.

The Government has launched a £500,000 innovation fund as part of a new ‘action plan’ to improve support for unpaid carers.

One in 10 adults in the UK provides unpaid care for a family member or friend who cannot cope without their help due to illness.

In order to help these unpaid carers the Government has started a two-year programme which includes employment support for carers.

This was welcomed by adult social care directors as ‘a good next step’.

The programme will promote best practice for flexible working so that carers are able to continue to work alongside their caring role.

There will also be a new £500,000 Carer Innovations Fund to promote innovative ways to support carers.

Alongside these measures, the new programme includes funding for a review of best practice in identification of young carers and access to support.

‘It’s a sad fact that carers too often feel ignored, isolated or taken for granted, and given any one of us could become a carer at some point in our lives, government and society must do more to support them,’ said the minister for care Caroline Dinenage.

‘We recognise the invaluable contribution of carers, selflessly caring for those they love, and these measures will mean they are supported in all facets of their lives.

‘Together these measures are a step-change in the way we support carers so they can gain employment, learn the skills they need to succeed and feel supported by the communities they live in.

‘Our review to identify young carers will ensure they don’t slip through the net, and that they receive practical and emotional support to allow them to stay healthy, happy and make the most of their education.’

Responding to the announcement, Glen Garrod, the president of the Association of Directors of Adult Social Services (ADASS), said: ‘As leaders in social care across the country, ADASS is keen to see carers, who make such a crucial difference to the people they look after, recognised as the vital support that they are, and this action plan is a good next step towards making this happen.

‘We have contributed to this discussion and advocated for this action plan to be published for some time, so it’s good to see some progress on this.

‘It’s crucial that carers are given the support – and respite – they need to be able to fulfil their role effectively. We have consistently called for a sector-led approach which has as its heart the needs of the local communities, with resources from central government supplied to facilitate this.

‘Only by taking the lead from people we care for, in the communities in which they live, can we deliver an approach that ensures the best possible care.’

Genevieve Edwards, director of external affairs at the MS Society, also welcomed the news, but said there was a ‘lack of any real commitment to increase financial support for carers.’

‘Unpaid carers are under untold pressure, with over four in ten admitting they struggle to make ends meet,’ she said.

‘Given it’s their contribution keeping our social care system afloat, they deserve better.

‘The Government must urgently deliver a funding solution so the system works for unpaid carers, and everyone else who relies on it, both now and in the future.’

Well , at least the MS Society have stuck their head above the parapet !

They have tended to publically praise our role within the System ... unlike many other caree supporting organisations.
Make that three ... a Championship level source ... the Daily Express :

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/97001 ... -hours-law

Carers news: Carers to be given more flexibility BY LAW says Government,

MILLIONS of adult carers looking after ageing or sick relatives are to be offered flexible work hours under a new Government pledge.

The scheme will allow carers to start work later, finish earlier or have an extended lunch break.

The measures will also see the introduction of a paid ‘carers’ leave’, which will allow for viewing care homes and attending hospital appointments.

The length of the ’carers’ leave’ is yet to be decided. However, one charity has suggested it should last for between five to ten days a year, in addition to annual leave for holidays.

According to Carers UK, one in eight adults (6.5 million people) are carers with 625,000 suffering physical and mental health problems as a consequence of the stress which it entails.

In total, carers save the economy £132 billion per year.

Emily Holzhausen, Director of Policy at Carers UK, told the Daily Express:

“We are welcoming the measures around flexible working which will make a practical difference to carers’ lives and we are also welcoming the fact that BEIS is considering the question of dedicated employment rights for carers alongside existing employment rights and will be working so that any emerging carers leave proposal is as effective as it can be.

“Carers UK has been calling for a right to paid care leave at between five to ten days."

The government’s revised approach on assisting carers is being led by Minister of State for Health and Social Care, Caroline Dinenage.

Miss Dinenage told the Daily Mail:“It’s a sad fact that carers too often feel ignored, isolated or taken for granted and given any one of us could become a carer at some point in our lives, government and society must do more to support them.

“I want to see better recognition of carers across society so that they can get the support they need. As a former business owner I recognise the contribution carers could bring if employed. Why can’t more employers offer flexible options that enable carers to work alongside caring or re-enter the workforce after time off?

“My mother cared for my grandmother when she developed dementia and she balanced this with supporting me through the birth of my first child.

“Her support was indispensable but it must have been a challenge to balance these responsibilities and still have time for herself.”

“I like to think she could have benefitted from the plan we’re now working to roll out to more carers, to help improve and enrich their lives.”

In an exclusive report published on Tuesday, the Daily Express revealed that over 160,000 of Britain’s pensioners and disabled people are “trapped” in debt as they cannot afford to pay their bills.

The investigation found some of the UK’s most vulnerable are amassing huge debts after being forced to pay thousands of pounds for care, either in their homes or in residential accommodation.

Still , with reporting like that , mid table at best next season ?

" Millions " will benefit ... want a bet ?

Few hundred thousand at best !

In turn , how many carers will leave the workplace as the caring duties increase ???

At least Carers UK can smile , a mention !

ENOUGH reports ... I'll just trawl for reactions and quotes from now onwards.
I am dismayed by this paper too. The idea that anyone caring for over 35 hours a week for the pittance we do can have a "fulfilling and meaningful career" on top is just a joke. It's all about carers working. That's all the gov care about. Most can't. Especially single people caring for adult disabled relatives who do not go to school or out anywhere to give the carer any time. I am disabled as well as a carer and I get my carers allowance taken off my ESA. However if I was working I could earn much more before it was taken into account. Disabled are penalised all ways up. This paper does nothing to address that.
119 posts