[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Carers meeting Ivan Lewis - Page 3 -Carers UK Forum

Carers meeting Ivan Lewis

Discuss news stories and political issues that affect carers.
well it would be nice to have some peace,
and all see the bigger picture

krys
I write this in a personal capacity and not on behalf of Carer Watch.

Wendy

You have made unsubstantiated allegations against fellow carers of abuse and libel, I suggest that if you believe that any posts or pms you may have received on this board are abusive or libellous that you take your complaint to Gavin or Matt, if they occurred on other boards I suggest that you take the evidence to the moderators of those boards.

You may not be aware of the fact that having achieved a meeting with Ivan Lewis you are now doing carers a disservice, by airing your currently unsubstantiated allegations on a national open carers forum you are damaging the credibility of all carers, both those who themselves are campaigning for a better deal for carers and those who are unable to.

You state that your meeting with Ivan Lewis was on behalf of all carers, you also state that Ivan Lewis made promises to you and your delegation, as you appear to have got over the indisposition that prevented you making those promises public perhaps you would be good enough to enlighten us and tell us what those promises were, I'm sure I'm not alone as one of the carers you represented at the meeting in wishing to know.

Thank you in anticipation

Annie
I posted it on this board to explain what happened to me because of what a few carers did to help other carers.
Of course there is no abuse on this forum but it is the main campaigning forum for carers and I feel other carers should be aware of the situation.
Most of the independant carer forums including your forum Parsifal, were slatted over the weekend all over the internet the abuse was not just at me.

There is no point in me contacting Gavin because he has enough to put up with, this message is for carers to be kinder to one another and to be aware.

It will all calm down and hopefully we will get back to normal, but newspapers being contacted with libelous sayings has not been pleasant.
Wendy
I posted it on this board to explain what happened to me because of what a few carers did to help other carers.
Of course there is no abuse on this forum but it is the main campaigning forum for carers and I feel other carers should be aware of the situation.
Most of the independant carer forums including your forum Parsifal, were slatted over the weekend all over the internet the abuse was not just at me.

There is no point in me contacting Gavin because he has enough to put up with, this message is for carers to be kinder to one another and to be aware.

It will all calm down and hopefully we will get back to normal, but newspapers being contacted with libelous sayings has not been pleasant.
Wendy
A couple of responses, again in my personal capacity.

Firstly, there is no evidence to support your allegation that Carer Watch has been "slatted (sic) over the weekend all over the internet... ". And, again, can I remind you that Carer Watch belongs to no individual carer, it is an independent campaigning group managed by a group of carers .

Secondly, I'm sure you must be aware that carers would like to be told about the promises you achieved on our behalf during your meeting with Ivan Lewis. Again, perhaps you will good enough to inform us?
Before this gets out of hand can I ask everyone to take a deep breath?

Indeed there was one individual who has made a number of allegations on the web against certain individuals and web forums. This is not the place to repeat them as I have always taken the view that the best approach is to ignore it. But it certainly was not hard to find. However, the current situation, as of today, seems to be that the particular website involved is no more.

The important thing to focus on is that a number of carers met with Ivan Lewis, and put across the views of carers: having read the points Wendy has made here and elsewhere, they largely mirror what has already been said but give a more personal aspect to those points, which helps to increase their impact. As to Mr. Lewis' promises, I doubt that they would have been anything more than generalised statements as there would be no way a government minister would say anything substantive prior to the policy document being released. But perhaps Wendy can clarify that.
Before this gets out of hand can I ask everyone to take a deep breath?
Sounds like a good idea, let's do that. I hope Wendy is soon back to her usual robust good health, and I guess we are all anxious to hear ... in good time ... what was discussed in a bit more detail.
But from experience, I doubt that Ivan promised to scrap carers allowance or double it... nothing dramatic ... Ministers just don't work that way. Its all drip drip drip on stone stuff - and when things do finally change no one group or individual can claim the credit. So we all need to keep getting stuck in to our local MPs and at every other level of political engagement - every little bit helps.
Lets just take it as read that anyone who sticks their head over the parapet for the carers cause is going to have to accept a few pot shots - sometimes it all gets a bit out of hand. But then, we like to give the politicians a hard time too, so maybe we need to accept that what good for the pot is good for the kettle....
Maybe you will know already these two points that we raised, but here they are if not.
1.I spoke about the difficulties for carers in rural areas and I asked when will be getting the 24 phone helpline, the answer is not until at least the middle of next year.

The New Deal for Carers is not yet finalised and it will be announced in the summer. The findings will last for the next 10 years.

Mr Lewis listened and answered our questions but there were too many topics raised for me to mention on here.
One of the main points of interest is the way that a carer has to cope with officialdom after a loved one dies. There are to be changes made.
All I can suggest is that you read the review in the Yours magazine. I am sorry about this, but I really am afraid of saying things out of hand. Money was raised, respite, housing, carers assessments, etc, mostly we told him the difficulties that carers face every day in 2008. We told him we want change for the better.

Thank you Paula for your words of encouragement about tomorrow, I am not going alone but with other carers.
Rosmary and Parsifal I will pass on your thanks to the carers that did this for us, they had done their research well before the meeting.
We tried our best, and after tomorrow, we will be waiting to see what you can do. I am always willing to help, but I don't think I could do it again.
I really must say how comfortable Mr Lewis and his staff made us feel after our long journeys. He really wants to know about the struggles that carers face.
So now its your turn.
Thank you.
Wendy
looks like Mr Lewis wasn't very truthful to the delegation
annab said:
looks like Mr Lewis wasn't very truthful to the delegation
Well, did we expect any better from him...eh?
Or is that just a tad synical? Image Image

marie x
annab said]looks like Mr Lewis wasn't very truthful to the delegation
Well, did we expect any better from him...eh?
Or is that just a tad synical? Image Image

marie x[/quote]

there does seem to be a pattern