[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
CARERS BACK TO WORK - Page 3 - Carers UK Forum

CARERS BACK TO WORK

Discuss news stories and political issues that affect carers.
109 posts
Nelliejoe (hello by the way)
the Carers Tax Credit would penalise people like ourselves and George and others who have occupational pensions. They would say we have enough to live on. Its not really about that for some - its about being valued for the work that they do, I think.

Those who care for more hours (or for more than one person) should get more money than those who do not care for as many hours (or for as many people).

What of those of us who have a more intensive caring role where we need to carry out nursing tasks etc - should we be paid for those skills? After all if councils had to pay staff for these tasks they would get a decent amount?

Eun
Hi Eun
As there is no such thing at the moment as the Carers Tax Credit - except in my imagination - how can you say it wouldn't work for you - the issues you mention would be factored in - that's the whole point surely - it's a NEW idea Image
I was just thinking as it being like the working tax credit. We used to be £1 odd over the limit for that and so got nothing. I just think a beter idea is to be paid for the work that yu do - if you do less you get paid less. All the best.

Eun
Tax credits are calculated on income and individual circumstances and paid to parents earning up to £50,000 per year, a tax credit for carers is an interesting suggestion as, based on the current system, it could be sufficiently flexible to meet a variety of circumstances. To pay carers for the hours which they work would be difficult - how would a carer prove how many hours they have worked in a particular week? Which aspects of caring would count as work? Would, for example, changing a bed count as work or as a normal domestic duty even if it had to be changed several times a night? - and we would become employees of the State with all that entails, Tax Credits seem to be a much more attractive idea.
Eun makes a fair point.
I have no idea how many hours I care for, and how many hours I work, and to a large extent, I don't think it matters. If "they" pay me to keep a record, then I might find out, but "they" dont. When at real work, I get paid for results, not hours, so why should my caring role be different?
Lets say I care 5 hours a day but because I am pretty good at it my caree is happy and content and even sorts out their own laundry with a bit of help from me: whilst some other carer puts in 18 hours being bothersome and their caree is miserable and argumentative and never lifts a finger to help out. How on earth do we figure out a fair recompense?

This is all a can of worms. Let's have a Social Wage for everyone regardless of means. Abolish all disability and carers benefits because they enslave us all. The Welfare State has outlived its purpose, lets give it a decent burial and move on, because it makes people poor.
WAR DISABLED PENSIONERS AND WAR WIDOWS ON WAR WIDOWS ALLOWANCE have a very large pension payment , but the state rewards them by the "war related pension disregard " all local authorities disregard war pensions , therefore the old doll gets "FULL BENEFIT" she can claim housing benefit and council tax benefit .... someone like myself who has a private occupational pension which is just above the " help me " level means i pay for every thing ... i can and do claim the carers allowance but my own pension is used for me to live on and yet i am providing a good service to the state , to recognise the value of carers why cant they disregard my private occupational pension this would then allow me to claim many other benefits , but in an ideal world the carers allowance should be set at a level that would mean i did not have to claim any other benefit`s....all of my income is spent on just the basics rent , council tax, fuel , without the support of the old doll i could not care for her she in a roundabout way is paying for her own care now.........
Dear Parsifal

I was thinking about your posting last night in bed before I fell asleep and an idea popped into my head. (What a great nightlife I lead, eh?)

The government says you have to care for at least 35 hours a week to get carers allowance right? So that means that the recipient of such an amount of care has to have a degree of disability right? So how about they base the level of carers allowance on the level of the care component that the disabled person gets?

That means you have 3 levels of care allowance - high, medium or low. This means that the person caring for the disabled person with the highest care needs gets the highest care rate to reflect the work that they do.

Also as long as a pensioner cares for the required 35 hours per week they should still get the allowance at the low/medium/high rate. Same with working carers and studyig carers. Regarding carers who are studying as long as you keep your study hours below a certain level you still get carers allowance. I studied law at uni and still got carers allowance.

What do you and others think - are there flaws in that idea that I haven't seen?

Eun
Forgot to add I don't know much about attendance allowance - is this paid at the three levels as well? If so it would also work re my idea for the carers allowance. Obviously there would need to be an increase of carers allowance so that no one getting the current £53 would be worse off.

Also if you care for more than one person you should get the carers allowance at the rate for the people you care for i.e. if you care for 1 person with low care needs and 1 person with high care needs you should get 1 lot of CA at the low level & 1 lot of CA at the high level.

Eun
Hi Eun
nice idea - so long as the lowest payment rates are at least the current CA amount and increases from there Image
I know the issue of more money if you care for more than one person is a recurring sore point for you, but to be honest I can't see that idea going anywhere soon.
I can't think of a single occupation where you are paid according to the number of people you deal with - nurses, teachers, chefs, waiters, receptionists, cashiers and so on - just doesn't happen Image Image
And who's to say that the caring efforts are greater the more people you care for - everyone's situation is unique to them and their carees - for example I care for two people but my caring role is nowhere near as physically or emotionally demanding as someone else who may be caring for only one person, but that one person may have a terminal illness or profound and multiple disabilities for example.
The whole idea could never work fairly with the range of caring roles done.
Let's keep the ideas coming though, this is a great debate Image
Helen x
Hi Eun

It seems perfectly reasonable to me, no system is perfect and there will be some people who should be on a higher or lower rate of care, but it would not be too costly to administer in comparison with carers having to submit hours, etc. and their payment calculated weekly or monthly, something which is important to governments when considering changes to policy.

Anything which gives carers a fairer deal, even if it is not the ultimate aim, is worth considering, many of us, the majority of carers going by the statistics, receive no payment but put in substantial hours of care and for those on Carers Allowance the benefit does not begin to reflect the work, hours and responsibilities which carers take on.

I think that successive governments have failed to appreciate that being a carer is not only costly in personal terms but also in financial terms, loss of income, having to subsidise the incomes of the people we care for to ensure that they receive the best possible care from us, the cost of visiting them in hospital, transporting them to appointments, etc. can be prohibitive and these costs are not adequately reflected in disability or carer benefit rates.

Apropos Attendance Allowance it is paid at two rates, lower which is the equivalent of DLA middle rate care and higher which is the equivalent of DLA higher rate care, there is no lower rate and neither is there a mobility component which can mean that carers of over 65s on AA and on a low income can have to find the money for transport out of their own income.
109 posts