[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Budget March 2012 - Further Cuts in Welfare Spending - Carers UK Forum

Budget March 2012 - Further Cuts in Welfare Spending

Discuss news stories and political issues that affect carers.
From the Chancellor's speech:
We will also maintain our control on welfare spending.

The passing of the Welfare Reform Act two weeks ago was an historic moment.

I pay tribute to my RHF the Work and Pensions Secretary and to all my coalition colleagues for supporting him against determined opposition from those who defend unlimited welfare.

But even with the Act, the welfare budget is set to rise to consume one third of all public spending.

If nothing is done to curb welfare bills further, then the full weight of the spending restraint will fall on departmental budgets.

The next Spending Review will have to confront this.

So I am today publishing analysis that shows that if in the next Spending Review we maintain the same rate of reductions in departmental spending as we have done in this review, we would need to make savings in welfare of £10 billion by 2016.
http://www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/budget2012_statement.htm
Do you want to be the one to switch the lights out Annie?
Words fail me
Do you want to be the one to switch the lights out Annie?
Wish I could afford to put the lights on, Rosemary Image .
This is despicable. They already know where the growth areas are in "welfare" - pensioners and public sector cuts leading to increased unemployment.

But you can bet it will be used to screw down spending on disability and carers.
5p on a Mars Bar ... yawn. For the vast majority of people this is just moving a few deckchairs and cutting back on the odd scottle of botch. But I do think the destruction of tax credits will throw many more single parents and their children into poverty.
Not that poverty is always a bad thing. I would rather have poor parents who care, than rich parents who suck the system dry for personal gain. Very few children die of material poverty in modern Britain. Far more of them die a slow and lingering death caused by the total lack of imagination of their parents.
This is despicable. They already know where the growth areas are in "welfare" - pensioners and public sector cuts leading to increased unemployment.

But you can bet it will be used to screw down spending on disability and carers.
Pensioners are in the firing line, the age-related additions to the tax allowance are to be axed, those already in receipt of them will have them frozen until they align with the working-age allowance; the State Retirement Pension is to be reformed and paid at a fixed rate regardless of SERPS contributions which will reduce the pension income of some future pensioners, it is not clear whether Pension Credit will survive but the Savings Credit has already been reduced to pay for those the increase in the Guaranteed Pension Credit; the government intends to continue to increase the age at which the SRP is payable and Osborne stated in his Budget Statement]We will also address the rising costs of an ageing population, and the burden this places on future generations.

We will be publishing a White Paper on social care.[/quote]

Meanwhile the Daily Mail is today reporting that in order to cut the cost of Welfare the government is considering regional variations in benefit payments with benefits in the regions paid at lower rates than those in London, as the Daily Mail appears to be the new DWP Press Office this may well be more than speculation. Having recently moved from just outside London to an economically depressed region I am all too aware that the regional variations in the cost of living are primarily due to the lower cost of housing which, for those who pay rent, is already allowed for in setting HB and LHA rates, all other costs are broadly similar or, if you live in the colder regions, higher, and of course disability aids, etc. cost the same wherever you live.

Whilst the government's own Impact Assessments for the Welform Reform Act recognised that a substantial number of the poorest people in society, including the low-paid, would be negatively impacted on by their reforms they seem to have failed to consider the costs that this negative impact would have on other services: the NHS, LAs, including homelessness provision, for example. Cutting benefits and pensions further, along with other changes to the provision of the Welfare State, will simply shift more of the costs on to other services and has the potential in some areas of expenditure to cost the taxpayer more rather than less.

I think that the message is clear: if you are no longer, for whatever reason, working and contributing, however much you have contributed in the past, you are a burden on the taxpayer and should not expect current taxpayers in the form of the State to support you. Unfortunately for many of us it is too late to make alternative provision for the future, some will never be in a position to do so. If this is Compassionate Conservatism protecting the poor and the vulnerable, Conservatism without compassion does not bear thinking about.
The Budget.has done nothing for carers.But then,as I never expected it was ever going to,thats cool.Its a zero for carers,as far as I can see.
wednesday was a bad day all round,rubbish budget,wife had a bad day re alzheimers and lost my lodgings for weekends so i can travel 100 miles to go and work 16hours in the taxi,back in hotel as and when i can get a room for £50 for 2 nights,if not sleeping in my car,if only the government had a clue how people survive whilst caring,need the break so go to earn a few quid and save me wanting to kill myself because of the situation i'm in,all i hear about alzheimers is in relation to the ageing population,how about a thought to the fact of people like us wife 41 me 44,WE DON'T FIT IN ANYWHERE RE BENEFITS,GROUPS OR ANYTHING!
I really object to this 'burden' business Image Pensioners have paid in all their lives, for their retirement.
If they've suddenly become a 'burden' it's the fault of successive governments who have squandered, raided and stolen what they have put in Image Image Image