[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Bus passes -advice for campaigners - Carers UK Forum

Bus passes -advice for campaigners

Discuss news stories and political issues that affect carers.
Topic locked [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Hi there, I know quite a few carers have had their carer/companion bus passes revoked by councils.

I just wanted to pass on advice from a carer who was told her local Council has never offered free carer bus passes. Her husband, who is disabled wrote and challenged this, and was told that if budgetary pressures ease the Council may well review this. The manager told them this was the 1st request he had received for a companion bus pass! He strongly advised them to lobby their ward councillors on this issue.

So not a solution but a possible course of action...strength in numbers, and if you're lobbying get other carers to write too.

Please do keep us informed if you write/ get anywhere.
Clare
Hi there, I know quite a few carers have had their carer/companion bus passes revoked by councils.

I just wanted to pass on advice from a carer who was told her local Council has never offered free carer bus passes.
Please do keep us informed if you write/ get anywhere.
Clare
What is the situation around the UK? Here in Scotland my son has a pass that enables him and a carer to travel completely free, which is great. You also get discounts on rail and ferries. Image
Hi - Thanks for giving the Scottish example. One for other carers to quote when making the case for bus passes in their areas.

the situation in England and Wales is that its at the discretion of councils - some provide carer companion passes but many do not, and with the recent extension of free bus passes to all pensioners has meant many authorities have cut back on companion passes.
with the recent extension of free bus passes to all pensioners has meant many authorities have cut back on companion passes.
That's so unfair, the free bus pass for senior citizen's was not supposed to be at the expense of another vulnerable group.
What a disgraceful thing to do. Image

marie x
Just had this email on this issue -

[quote]Sense is organising a lobby of parliament on Wednesday, 29 October from 2.00 – 4.30pm. We need your help to get as many disabled adults and children as possible to come to the event to lobby their MP!

The lobby is an opportunity for any disabled people (children and adults), and their carers and family members, to talk to their MP about their problems with bus travel since the Concessionary Bus Travel Act came into force in April.

Since April, many disabled people have lost their free companion pass, and many have lost the right to travel fro free at peak times (before 9.30am). This is an extremely important issue to a great many disabled people – I know that Sense isn’t alone in receiving a countless crisis calls about the issue.

Also important to point out is that this isn’t “a Sense eventâ€Â
I just wanted to remind ebveryone that this parliamentary lobby is next week. Still tiem to get involved!

Visit Sense's website for more detail.
http://www.sense.org.uk/campaigns/your_ ... us_passes/

They also have campaign actions for those that cannot attend the rally
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable