[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Better lives for older people - your views wanted - Carers UK Forum

Better lives for older people - your views wanted

Discuss news stories and political issues that affect carers.
JRF read here

Politics (and panic) aside, what actually makes for better lives for older people?

It's a question it makes considerable sense to ask if we are going to embark on real change. The Joseph Rowntree Foundation is doing precisely that - looking at finding better lives for older people with high support needs in the community - see the Better Life page. It's part of a much broader and wholly admirable project for improving lives, involving people who need services, practitioners like me, policy makers, service providers… in fact, anyone and everyone with good ideas to offer. So does this include you?
What about a better life for young disabled people as well? And for their carers. Everything seems to be focussed on elderly people in the news etc.

Eun
Hi Eun,

If owt comes through I will post it here.

x
I would suggest that the reason that older people are in the news is because they receive a particularly bad deal, frequently written off and denied services because of their age, many receiving very low standards of care in hospitals and the community and, because of the demographics, there are and will be more of them as my generation enters old age. This does not negate the lack of quality services, for people of other ages who require care but it goes some way to explaining why older people are in the news and have become a political football, not an enviable position to be in however you look at it, all they, and we their carers who often have to speak for them because they are rarely listened to, want is good quality and appropriate services without having to fight every inch of the way.
Makes you wonder Annie, just how much of all these issues would be as high on the agenda if not for the election Image . About time they all got down to some real policies and not the personality campaigns that seem to be taking place.
What about a better life for young disabled people as well? And for their carers. Everything seems to be focussed on elderly people in the news etc.

Eun
Hi

I somtimes think is it worth me staying on this site when i see remarks like this quote.

Any government would be pleased to see remarks like this knowing that carer's are divided.

Most probably older Carree's are completely knacked by the time they have reached old age and most have worked all there life's i know that's a dirty word's to say have worked all there life's but it is true so don't begrudge them there little extras.

It's seem like i haven't got it you cant have it.

When i was younger i had been brought up to respect my elders and i did these day's it's me first the rest of you can get stuffed that's not my principal i say fair share for all if someone gets something that i don't get and if they deserve it good luck to them not it's not fair i ain't got it.( just get a life).

I am very annoyed about a remark like the quote above and yes i am offended and feel offended for all other older people at least we know how we stand with you and this is me talking not as a Moderator and these are my thoughts not CUK's.

John
I agree John. I do not usually talk about my own situation on this board but I have just spent the past five-and-a-half weeks firstly watching my 85-year old husband being written off, firstly neglected on an acute ward and then fighting every step of the way for a rehab ward placement and then rehab at home, now he is home I am currently fighting for physio for him, anyone who thinks that the elderly are advantaged over younger disabled people needs to open their eyes, my experience is not an isolated one.

Whatever our situation we all have our problems, our battles to fight, to try and divide carers into the advantaged and disadvantaged, the deserving and undeserving is an insult to all of us, whatever our situation we are all carers, that is all that matters. Six million united carers or a number of fragmented small, single issue groups fighting their own corner to the detriment of the majority, which is the most likely to achieve something for all of us? I know what I want, six million united carers fighting for themselves and for each other.
I agree John.
I think it's a shame the two of you are focusing on differences rather than appreciating there are all manner of people suffering - and they're in their own little world too - after all, it's what's important to them.

The difference is a 'me too' thing - similar to apparently being in the slowest lane of the motorway when it's nose to tail in all lanes. No one wants to be left behind and when you 'appaently' feel that others' voices are being 'more heard' you tend to shout up for your own corner to apparently redress the imbalance.

Older folk aren't more important than any other 'deprived' group and we all need to do what we can for all groups.

And me.

Mike.
We are not focusing on the differences, on the contrary we are suggesting that focusing on the differences is divisive, I was commenting on the suggestion that there was more focus on older people than on younger people and illustrating that this is not the case, each group has its own problems, I thought that was clear in both of our posts, please read my second paragraph which opposes the divisive attitudes of some carers, the very attitude that you suggest I endorse:
Whatever our situation we all have our problems, our battles to fight, to try and divide carers into the advantaged and disadvantaged, the deserving and undeserving is an insult to all of us, whatever our situation we are all carers, that is all that matters. Six million united carers or a number of fragmented small, single issue groups fighting their own corner to the detriment of the majority, which is the most likely to achieve something for all of us? I know what I want, six million united carers fighting for themselves and for each other.
As for me being in my own little world, the same applies there too, you clearly have not read some of my other posts on this board, I believe that the issues need to be looked at from a wider perspective than that of personal experience.

Wonder why I rarely post here Image ?
I will try again what i said or hinted at was the quote i put on my posting was about being divided.

I didnt make two issues i said it was wrong or words to that meaning (ie) that you should not criticise the older generation for supposedly or possibly getting a better deal than a younger group.

I also said if anybody that deserved or got a better deal than me i would say good luck to them.

If that's making differences then i am guilty of doing so but please read my posting carefully and i think you will see i am asking for carer's to be united not working in fragments.

John