[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Boyzone singer Keith Duffy talks about his daughter's autism - Carers UK Forum

Boyzone singer Keith Duffy talks about his daughter's autism

Discuss news stories and political issues that affect carers.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... apart.html

The moment their baby says its first words is etched in every parent's memory.

For Lisa and Keith Duffy, it was a heartbreakingly long wait before they heard their daughter Mia speak for the first time.

Sam_B
I'm pleased ABA worked so well for them, sadly it isn't an option for most kids with autism, it has to be hard fought for at tribunal.
My son is 11 and we are still waiting to hear his voice, meanwhile education thinks strolls in the park and visits to Tesco are the way ahead Image
Vicky
ABA doesn't work for everyone so it's good to hear about a child it has worked for.
Yes it is good to hear, but the story is as much about trying to get early intervention, my son was dx at before 2yrs old and had no early intervention.
ABA doesn't work for everyone but it is the only intervention that has some scientific proof behind it, unlike TEACCH that is wheeled out irrespective of outcomes, no one ever went to tribunal for TEAM TEACCH nor are they likely to if my sons experience is anything to go by.
All the children should be given the chance just as they are in the mainstream, we don't hear primary school teachers making big decisions about which children are most likely to benefit from Maths so we will just go for walks instead, can you imagine the outcry?
Vicky
I agree, absolutely. Early intervention is the key, Vicky, always. Too often parents are left hanging between diagnosis and support and the opportunity for greater progress is lost. There's no getting the lost time back.

TEACCH really only provides a firm structure and very small steps. I don't see it as anything other than a way of helping those people for whom even the smallest change or lack of clarity is too much, or someone who is going through a really stressful time and needs additional structure.

Personally I think it's too easy to become wedded to one single idea when autism is such a complex condition with so many facets, and too many professionals hit on one preference or another, for whatever reason. The hard part is finding what works for your child.

And yes, I can just imagine the outcry! Image
http://www.itv.com/Lifestyle/ThisMornin ... fault.html

I only have one word to express my reaction - Wow! I think Keith is articulate, well informed, proactive and speaks about this with such a passion...
http://www.itv.com/Lifestyle/ThisMornin ... fault.html

I only have one word to express my reaction - Wow! I think Keith is articulate, well informed, proactive and speaks about this with such a passion...
Seconded.

Thx for sharing that link Lola

x x x