[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Blue badge drivers face new medical tests - Carers UK Forum

Blue badge drivers face new medical tests

Discuss news stories and political issues that affect carers.
Around 2.5 million people currently pay councils in England and Wales for the badges, which allow free parking in pay-and-display bays, at meters and even on single- and double-yellow lines.

However, ministers estimate that around half of the users are not really entitled to the badges - and the fraud costs town halls millions of pounds a year in lost parking fees and fines.

Under the Government's plans, to be announced within days, councils will be given additional powers to impose checks on applicants similar to those undergone by people claiming disability benefits.

At the same time, ministers will announce an increase in the price of a badge from £2 to £10. The price rise for the badges, which last up to three years, is the first since 1983.
in full here
Pembrokeshire County Council do not have free parking for disabled people. Blue badge holders pay the same as other car park users.
So that means that disabled people are going to be even WORSE off.
The ConDems will not be happy until all disabled people are shut behind closed doors and never seen in public.
I know it is supposed to stop fraud, but why don't they start by targetting people who park in disabled bays without blue badges?There are enough of those about, including two people from a BBC antiques programme last week, in full view of th TV cameras.
I was going to suggest a reform of stopping those parking in disabled bays with no blue badge to display as well - ignorance is NOT a disability Image

The days of so-called "free parking" are long gone anyway - everywhere we go, there are either barriers or private car parks so we have to pay and display, too so the only "perk" we get is a bay near the entrance of the car park and that's if we are lucky after wading through the ignorants who can't be as$ed to walk
Apart from a small hospital car park that charges in our town, all other spaces are free. It is only a smallish shopping centre but no charges are incurred anywhere.
If you are a war disabled pensioner, and in receipt of the war pensioners mobility supplement
W.P.M.S. the "blue badge" is guaranteed ----
Or maybe was guaranteed, George? Be interesting to see if those on higher rate DLA mobility component will also have to undergo medicals.
Annie, my lil old lady gets AA and shes just been put through some tests as originally she got hers through dr signing forms. Most involved walking lengths of corridoors with 'assessor' walking behind. Sit down, stand up. Could she walk any distance on her own. That sort of thing.
As it happens she walks using a stick and also holding on to me. Other times we use her wheelchair. What she never picked up on was that room for the assessment was furthest from the buildings entrance. Your 'test' literally started before you seen them, if that makes sense Image
Councils already have powers to check eligibility-I hope this isn't a ploy to tighten eligibility and then label previous legitimate recipients "scroungers"-it is also very lazy journalism and is obviously a Government press release -unquestioned or invesigated-many blue badge holders are not drivers
Annie, my lil old lady gets AA and shes just been put through some tests as originally she got hers through dr signing forms. Most involved walking lengths of corridoors with 'assessor' walking behind. Sit down, stand up. Could she walk any distance on her own. That sort of thing.
As it happens she walks using a stick and also holding on to me. Other times we use her wheelchair. What she never picked up on was that room for the assessment was furthest from the buildings entrance. Your 'test' literally started before you seen them, if that makes sense Image
Testing people who have already qualified or who have strong medical evidence and whose mobility is not going to improve is pointless and a waste of increasingly scarce LA funds. Most of the blue badge fraud and abuse is due to able-bodied people either misusing a disabled person's badge or parking in disabled bays without a badge, making disabled and elderly people go through medicals will not stop this. Of course the beauty of these proposals is that people entitled to badges, especially older people, will decide not to apply for them if it becomes too onerous or too expensive enabling the government to then roll the reduced number of applications as proof of fraud.
Just today we had a government minister on our local news saying the number of people who did not appeal decisions was proof that people were not really disabled, talking about ESA mind, but the principle is the same.
Vicky