[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Benefit claimants 'still seen as scroungers' - Carers UK Forum

Benefit claimants 'still seen as scroungers'

Discuss news stories and political issues that affect carers.
Interesting but overall depressing read.....although mentions that carers seen more favourably than other benefit claimants.
The perception of people on benefits as "scroungers" is as deep-rooted as ever, while there is broad public tolerance of the wealthy even in a recession, research has found.

A report published today by the Joseph Rowntree Foundation (JRF) and the Fabian Society says that despite government antipoverty drives, most people believe high incomes are fair and based on effort, while people on low incomes largely deserve to be poor. The financial crisis has produced greater distaste for the "super rich" but has had no impact on wider attitudes to the income gap between rich and poor, the report claims.

Echoing the Victorian concept of the "deserving" and "undeserving" poor, negative perceptions of benefit claimants were countered by strong sympathy for the working poor and for groups such as carers.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2009/ ... n-rowntree
I get more and more anxious every day about our future.
Do I deserve to be poor?

I wake up dreading the post, or the news, in case anything has changed and we have to find more money to pay out. The only way we can afford to buy furniture is through a catalogue, so that we can pay weekly. It is a struggle to get from day to day, never mind week to week.We have sat down this week, working out if it is better value to buy our petrol at Tesco, and get our points, for vouchers later in the year, or from Asda, where it is 2p a litre cheaper.
There is a film on at the cinema later this week, (My sister's keeper), which my daughter and I would love to go and see,having both read the book, but a cinema ticket is £5, and we cannot afford that, plus petrol,and the toll for the bridge.

I know that there are people who abuse the system.There are plenty more who are in real poverty.
Aw Daisy - if they would sort out the level of Carers Allowance we could have a little bit of much deserved timeout couldn't we. Image

marie x
PREVIEW: What's in tomorrow's Society Guardian supplement?

* Feature: Fraught in a trap - Benefit scroungers if they don't have a
job, irresponsible if they do - lone parents now face sanctions under
proposed back-to-work welfare reforms. By Amelia Gentleman
As you all know every time i post i always ask for the carers allowance to be raised and therein lies the problem it`s the scroungers syndrome there is one reason why the government will never ever raise the carers allowance, say the allowance was raised to £150 per week and you still had to "prove" that you work as a carer for the minimum of 35 hours per week ( for family member , friend or neighbour ?) how many would move from other benefits - after all the government want the unemployed to find work the disabled are being encouraged to retrain and seek work as are single parents just how many of these so called scroungers would move from one benfit to the carers allowance, it is often quoted we have some 6 million carers yet at the moment only about 700-000 are in receipt of the carers allowance the government assume that if the carers allowance was paid at the rate of £150 per week some 6 million would claim the allowance we are victims of our own bad publicity its high time we put carers into box`s out of the 6 million how many really care 24/7 and depend on the carers allowance.
When the credit crunch first hit us i can remember one "expert" talking on radio about how to survive the credit crunch her main idea was to " maximise " your income she told listeners to claim all they could one thing that annoyed me was when she advised people to see if they had a family member who was " ill " and in receipt of certain disabled benefits she then informed one and all that they could then claim the carers allowance she also told them that if they had elderly parents see if they could claim A.A. that would also open the door for the carers allowance now to me that is scrounging .
i can remember one "expert" talking on radio about how to survive the credit crunch her main idea was to " maximise " your income she told listeners to claim all they could one thing that annoyed me was when she advised people to see if they had a family member who was " ill " and in receipt of certain disabled benefits she then informed one and all that they could then claim the carers allowance she also told them that if they had elderly parents see if they could claim A.A. that would also open the door for the carers allowance now to me that is scrounging .
It is indeed called income maximisation, and its a vital part of any strategy to counter poverty, George. The problem is that there is higher take up of non-means tested benefits amongst the better informed folk (many of whom are also better off) than there is from the "honest poor". Many the time I have encountered carers and disabled people who just struggle on because of ignorance, not even claiming their rights.
There is no place in this society for the disabled, we are hated, hated as scroungers, benefit thieves, the recipients of special privileges, a drain on society, useless eaters, the Untermenschen, when you have experienced this hatred in action you understand this.
Are you OK, Annie? Sure it can be tough out there for anyone, whatever the label; disabled, black, teenagers, unemployed, women, businessmen, lawyers, social workers, Catholic, Muslim, gay, Polish, Romanian, politician....

Politician? Well, yes, them too. We seem to need to blame groups of people for our woes, whatever they are.

Even men are not immune - we seem to get blamed for everything: just ask any man!

I think everyone feels a bit bruised from time to time. It would be nice if the world were a gentler place, but sadly it just ain't. Image
There is more interesting info on their website. They have a whole programme aiming to change public attitudes by raising awareness of the realities of poverty.
Public attitudes also have a direct impact on the day-to-day quality of life of people experiencing poverty. Public awareness of UK poverty is low and attitudes are often harshly judgemental of those on low incomes.
http://www.jrf.org.uk/work/workarea/attitudes-poverty
I agree with Parsifal, recently I seen a programme on disabled children growing up through the years, one young girl had something wrong with her foot, to cut a long story short her hospital doctor was pleased with her progress and stated "She is doing well, she will be a contributer".
I actually thought it was such an insensitive comment and immediately thought of my own son who this doctor would clearly have a very dim view of.
There is no real comparison with other groups, no one would be caught on camera stating the birth of a child had gone well because they were a white, male with all systems functioning.
The name of the game is to be born physically and mentally normal, live your life working and paying taxes and then have the good grace at 65yrs old to pop your clogs.
The elderly and disabled are no better thought of because previous years of contributing are disregarded and they are seen as a drain on society.
Vicky