[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Another young person with special needs is murdered - Carers UK Forum

Another young person with special needs is murdered

Discuss news stories and political issues that affect carers.
Mail on Sunday, the story of Gemma Hayter.
Words fail me, all were found guilty, don't know what the sentences were but anything short of life until they die would be too lenient imo.
Reading the story of these fine examples of human garbage you can't help but see the irony, they referred to Gemma as "that thing".
When is disability hate going to be treated as seriously as race hate? Do carersuk have a line on this because it's no wonder carers like Fiona Pilkington are driven to do the unthinkable.
Vicky
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... d-fun.html

Another tragic case. Image These are becoming more & more common. It is a real concern for me (being the Mum of a young adult with special needs). My DD needs some independence but is so trusting and because she has no friends of her own, she thinks it's wonderful if anybody even speaks to her. Every time she goes out I worry until she comes home and I drum into her that she must NOT talk to strangers or ever go off with anybody.
I'm afraid it's in one ear and out the other most of the time though.

Social workers don't want to know and don't care that she has no social life but for the 3 of us, it's a real problem. I think it makes these young people almost "desperate" for friends. I have had several rows with social workers over this but I get nowhere.
A friend of mine has sadly been involved in this case for ages as she works with Warwickshire Safeguarding Adults Board, she said its made hel ill reading whats happened and the things she has seen.

Its a sad world we live in
it frightens me. What kind of Society do we live in, that youngsters can be so cruel?
I know what you mean, Vicky. And frankly the government's take on disability isn't helping.

Have merged the two topics about this story to try to keep things "tight" - it's a tough subject and it's both a news item and something that needs a campaign. Too many are dying "for fun."
A friend of mine has sadly been involved in this case for ages as she works with Warwickshire Safeguarding Adults Board, she said its made hel ill reading whats happened and the things she has seen.

Its a sad world we live in
Maybe you can pick her brains on our behalf then Nilla. I'm not blaming your friend obviously but if it's made her ill reading and seeing what's happened then all staff involved should be working like stink to make sure that vulnerable people ARE being safeguarded.
This is another terrible story. There are so many unscrupulous people out there willing to take advantage. Often though, it seems the police can do very little at onset because the disabled person (who is all trusting) enters into the "friendship" willingly.

I have heard my next door neighbours (not-nice side) threaten their children with the "man next door" (my gentle S) - so they will grow up fearing/hating disabled people .... Image Children aren't born with these prejudices, they are fostered in childhood and carry on into adulthood.

Melly1
Melly that is shocking, you must have felt terrible hearing that.

I read some of the news but couldn't read all of it, was heartbreaking..

This really need to be addressed, My son is 9, with Autism, he is just beginning to get other kids say a few things to him in the playground at school or at the park, only last week called a baby and an idiot due to him having stabilisers on his bike. How dare they be so nasty.

Told Zac to be the better person and walk away..but he does not understand why people are nasty.

Sad world we live in.
Sad world we live in.
Very sad. Always has been , always will be. In town or country, tower block or cottage, there are always going to be stupid and brutal people who take advantage of vulnerable individuals for their own disturbed purposes. Luckily this kind of incident is still incredibly rare. But human nature is not going to change: and some safeguards can also be very oppressive. This young lady apparently rejected help and support, as was her right. Sadly she paid the ultimate price for her decision, but we simply cannot have social services taking total control of every individual whom they deem vulnerable, that is also unacceptable. Which means they will get it wrong, some of the time.
There's another report in our paper today - this time of a County Council employed support worker who "borrowed" £2,000 from a man with learning difficulties, depression and anxiety who he was supposed to be caring for.