[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Another rant by a scum of the earth lowlife carer - Carers UK Forum

Another rant by a scum of the earth lowlife carer

Discuss news stories and political issues that affect carers.
A big thank you to Tameside Council.
  • Thank you for closing down one of the two higher dependency daycare centres in 2012.
  • Thank you for making me fight (despite promises) to get my father transferred to the other centre.
  • Thank you for informing me that the access criteria have now been changed to exclude wheelchair users such as my father.
  • Thanks for nothing.
I'm getting really sick and tired of this, not looking after my father but being stabbed in the back by officials moving the goalposts.

Regards,

A Lowlife Carer
Dave, I've only just seen this.

Pretty sure that choosing to refuse a service to a wheelchair user without reasonable grounds could be seen as discrimination. Worth a go.
Apparently the grounds are that their contract doesn't cover moving and handling. So wheel chair users can go provided that they can self transfer, people like my father though are excluded. The sickening thing is that the staff are all trained in moving and handling (something I manage to do on my own), hek the place that they closed down used to do it as standard.

Sadly that one was private and I think that this one is council owned, which knowing my luck probably means that they're exempt.

That said I will write to the Councillor and MP. Whatever happens though, I will not agree to standard daycare as that involves unaccompanied transport and a very long day for my father.
Again, that sounds like a total copout. Moving and handling is rarely stated specifically on contracts, but is a required training for all care staff anyway. Moving and handling to assist someone using a wheelchair in a day service would be a "reasonable adjustment", especially if the building they are using is wheelchair accessible.

Complain to the council giving them the contract. Ask for their social care contracts and compliance department, or equivalent. Going through your councillor is even better though.