[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Anne Maguire - Welfare reform interview - Page 3 - Carers UK Forum

Anne Maguire - Welfare reform interview

Discuss news stories and political issues that affect carers.
Unfortunately the reality of disabled people's lives and those of their carers seems to have conveniently slipped under the government's radar, or has it?. The government and its advisers have hijacked the social model of disability and used it for their own ends when in fact disability is a complex mix of medical factors and social barriers. Believing that by moving the social barriers to work the majority of people with disabilities will suddenly be able to work is simplistic in the extreme as we all know. Or perhaps this is simply an ideological and cost-cutting exercise and the government has chosen to promulgate a model of disability which fits in with their aims.
Instead of targeting the disabled and those that care for em,why dont they target those that can work but dont want to.concentrate on getting the druggies into rehab etc and back to work.that would be more logical.my wife would give anything to be able to go out to work and i'd dearly love to clamber behind the wheel of a forklift truck but being realistic the only way thats gunna happen is if she dies before i reach retirement age.in short its impractical.
GUARDIAN ON LINE CHAT TO ANNE MCQUIRE.

MY QUESTION TO MS ANNE MCQUIRE VIA LAUGHINGLY CALLED ON LINE CHAT BUT YOU COULD NOT RESPOND TO HER COMMENTS.

Linda Pestano asks via email:

Our daughter lives at home aged 24 she has Downs Syndrome and severe Autism, she requires 24-hour care or supervision. My husband works full time and heavily subsidizes our daughter's income as she only gets Incap benefit he can get NO tax allowance for this I am now 61, I will be caring for our daughter for as long as I can manage so that will be well into old age. I cannot get carer's allowance due to the government's overlapping pensions rule since I get a small state pension from the age of 60.

My question is this-: Why can't families like ours be given the same allowance help as a foster family would get if our daughter was placed with a foster family? after all it costs the same to keep a person like our daughter where ever she lives. It seems your policy is to drive families like ours with adult offspring still cared for at home into a desperate state of impoverishment.

AnneMcGuire - 03:13pm Sep 8, 2008 GMT (1.1)
Linda, Thanks for your question. I am concerned when you state that your daughter's only income is Incapacity Benefit, as I would have suggested that judging from the information you provided that she may also qualify for some of our other disability benefits, notably Disability Living Allowance, which potentially could give additional financial support of up to £113.75 a week.

I appreciate that you are disappointed that you cannot receive both Carer's Allowance and your State Pension. Again, I hope that your have asked our benefit helpline to ensure that you are getting your entitlement - for example if you are in receipt of Pension Credit, then you may be entitled to a carer's premium of £27.75 per week.

The Benefit Enquiry Line phone number is 0800 88 22 00 or Textphone 0800 24 33 55.

PLEASE NOTE MS ANNE MCQUIRE DID NOT ANSWER MY QUESTION JUST QUOTED MY DAUGHTERS DLA OF £ 113 .75 AT ME WHICH CONSISTS MOSTLY OF HER MOBILITY FOR HER CAR, PETROL AND KEEPING IT ON THE ROAD.THE REST IS HER HEATING COSTS THEN BLITHELY WENT ON TO SAY I SHOULD LOOK AT PENSION CREDIT.

THE EXTRA MONEY WE WANT IS TO KEEP OUR DAUGHTER NOT TO LOOK FOR PENNIES ANY CIVILIZED COUNTRY WOULD BE GIVING ELDER CITIZENS BY RIGHT

YET ANOTHER P,R EXERCISE IN SPIN WHEN WILL WE EVER LEARN
Linda, you could write to her direct and say you felt your questions wasn't fully answered.
thankyou i will do that Image
www.annemcguiremp.org.uk

mcguirea@parliament.uk

office in sterling 01786 446515
Anne McGuire
But I want to make it clear that although carers undertaking 35 hours of care a week would be getting JSA, there would not be any requirements to look for or go back into a job. Carers would not be required to do anything more than they do at present and there would be no change to their benefit income. But every carer’s situation is different, and for many caring is temporary role. Over half of all working-age carers not in work, say they would like to work again at some point. This change would help us to make sure that help is available to carers who want to find a job or combine work with their caring duties.
I would like to know just what the governments idea of ' temporary' is .............

So, lets get this right...
no requirements to look for or go back to work.....
would be no change to their benefit income
If that is the case, why the hell change it Image Image

If carers move to JSA that will be another battle to take on, as not only will the fight continue to get a fair deal but it means arguing the case to get Carers recognised all over again.

The whole thing stinks.
It's an irrelevant point to talk about a "temporary" role as a carer. Most carers fall into the bracket of caring for under 5 years, but the impact goes on long beyond that time, not least because of the delays in being able to claim DLA/AA and the financial impact that creates. There is no understanding - but I'm increasingly of the opinion that there is no understanding because the will is not there to try to understand.
what gets me is ive been told that the first question when you apply for J.S.A. is are you available for work if you say no then you dont get any benefit also J.S.A. is means tested therefore someone like me who has a small occupational pension would move onto J.S.A. but would in fact receive no benefit at all therefore i would be £200 per month worse off however i have also been told that all those on carers allowance will still be entitled to the carers allowance when J.S.A. scheme comes into force .
when you go onto J.S.A. you have to declare why you can not work if you are a carer you will then have to be interviewed by an advisor to be free from seeking work but will it be means tested or not if i was to move onto J.S.A. and it was not means tested as it is now i would in fact be about £40 per month better off it`s like the first tier of the 2two tier system .

George- if we were to lose my carers /j.s.a. we would not be able to survive and the old doll has realised that the only way out would be for me to return to work and for her to be placed within care home at an extra cost to the state of ???? hundreds of pounds per week the whole system is just crazy and its clear to me the lunatics have taken over the asylum .
Hi George
The only carers being moved onto JSA at the moment are carers who claim income support and carers allowance. As income support is means tested I premsume that is why Anne Mcguire has given an assurance that no carer will be worse off as if a carer passes the means test for income support then presumably they will pass the means test for JSA.

Carers with part time jobs earning under £95 a week, savings over the income support limit or other family will remain on carers allowance (for the time being!!!!!!!!!)
Rosemary said:
If carers move to JSA that will be another battle to take on, as not only will the fight continue to get a fair deal but it means arguing the case to get Carers recognised all over again.
Like Rosemary I have serious concerns about the future of carers allowance and about how we as carers are going to be able to fight to improve carers' incomes when the only benefit that distinguishes carers from other benefit claimants applies to less and less carers.

Carers need a separate benefit!

Anyone fancy protesting outside their job centre with a placard saying Caring is Work

Belle Image
i understand what you say but it was said that the J.S.A. was to replace carers allowance however i do understand that carers who do not claim any other benefit except the carers allowance will remain on carers allowance however at what rate J.S.A. is £60 per week carers allowance is as we all know £50 a week so if because i dont claim any other benefit i will not see any extra help but if i did claim other benefit i would by moving fromm carers allowance to J.S.A. see a rise of £10 per week iam confused dotcom .

GEORGE=====