[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Abolish Carers allowance? - Page 2 - Carers UK Forum

Abolish Carers allowance?

Discuss news stories and political issues that affect carers.
Hi
I don't see why you would think that we should be able to claim DLA if we were fit.
We might as well say because we are worn out and old before our time that we should claim old age pension.
I for one have never been able to claim C/A because of the overlap rule if we start trying to get a benefit that is there already for the purpose of others we might as well say we are fostering and let them pay us that amount.
But it ain't going to happen so let's keep asking for a fair deal for carer's.
Because if we start asking them to give us an existing benefit they are going to find a way of stopping us getting it.
John.
I might not have a physical disability, but I am unable to lead a normal life. Out and about i have the same restrictions as my wife in her wheelchair, I am unable to have time to do anything that would take me away from her for any length of time. having to deal with medical emergency's with no support from the medical profession. (its not there fault) As a carer I suffer from sleepless nights stress, frustration, hopelessness, fear and depression, every day.

I could go on about how much caring affects peoples life but the genuine carers out there know anyway.

If the above happened at least i would feel that this government recognised that carers lead a very restricted life and contribute to this country by saving money and resources by being willing to sacrifice their chance of a normal life.

After all we are supposed to live in a welfare state

I care for my wife because I love her, not to make a living.

Caring for a loved one and family member we should except family responsibility and stop shouting that we want minimum wage or get the same as foster carers

I do not want a wage. Anyway how can it work if they pay us for 35 hours per week. Carers put in a lot more then 35 hours so people will still complain that they are not getting paid extra.

Comparing us to foster carers is wrong as well, they are caring for a child that is not a member of there family, In my opinion they should be compensated. They are giving a chance for the child to have a normal family life instead of being stuck in a child's home.

All I want is recognition of what Carers do for this country with our own benefit. CA is not that benefit as I stated in my first post it is a waste of time and the running costs could be better spent else were.

I have being a carer for 15 years and a full time unpaid carer for 5 years.

Kevin
Hi Kev
If you have read my post's on this site and the old CUK site you will see I always say I am not a carer just doing what any decent husband would do.
I too don't get paid and I have always said I will always be there for my wife who is also in a wheelchair because of Amputation's.
I agree I too am not looking for a wage and I sometimes get told on this that I cant live on on my loving thoughts that I have for my wife but that's the way I feel about her we have been together since our early teens that over 40 years now.
And we have lost children plus we have adopted some too and have children of our own so we know about taking children out of care homes we have done it and don't want thanks for that as they have given us our rewards.
I just thought asking for DLA was a none starter but I can see where you are coming from.
Kind regards John.
John, I thought the person you care for had to get either DLA or AA for you to qualify for Carer's Allowance?
Kev4's suggestion makes no mention of those of us who receive CA because of AA, only DLA.
Kev4's suggestion makes no mention of those of us who receive CA because of AA, only DLA.
Anyone that is entitled to claim CA under the present rules would be entitled to claim.

We keep shouting about removing the overlapping rule, I read somewhere The government would not remove it, because it would affect people claiming other benefits, not related to carers and cost to much.

So instead of shouting for something that's not going to happen, lets come up with alternative suggestions.

There are plenty of intelligent people that are Carers who could come up with far better ideas. We have to think practical and not passionately about how to improve our life's, which in turn would probably improve the life's of the people we care for.

Kevin
We keep shouting about removing the overlapping rule, I read somewhere The government would not remove it, because it would affect people claiming other benefits, not related to carers and cost to much.
Carers UK has been campaiging against the overlapping rule for many years. The answer is always that the government will not abolish it and htis has cross party support. However we have argued that carers shoudl be made an exception to the rule.

Thge problem is that the rule is at it's basis a reasonable one - the premise is that you cannot claim for the same thing twice. So for example, I doubt many would disagree with the fact that you cannot claim unemployment benefit if you are drawing a state pension - that is what the overlapping rule is. The problem is that caring is classed as a work replacement activity and it shouldn't be. Under present rules carers are effectively paid for what they don't do (paid work) rather than what they do (caring) - this is an outdated notion and that's why any changes to benefits have ot be fundamental.

Kev's idea is interesting - it is saying carers have disability by association. This is exactly what Sharon Coleman is claiming at European Court - that she was discriminated against at work not because she is disabled but because her son is.

Matt
Rosemary has posted this link elsewhere but this article is arguing (rather more well written) much the same thing as we are discussing here. a very good read

http://www.newstatesman.com/200706280006

Matt
A excellent article,

when is the Sharon Coleman case due to be heard?
If we paid every adult in the Uk a social wage of say £250 a week whether they worked or not, and the rate of income tax was a flat 50% for all income over £250 per week, would that be a disincentive to work? . Probably not.
i like the sound of where your thoughts are going kev.

have i got it right. a carers caponant to middle or higher DLA /AA paid direct to carer, no matter what other benefit the carer receives. i.e. retirement pension, income support.

sounds worth considerable consideration Carers UK.

pam