[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
AA/DLA possibly under threat- Benefits and Work site - Page 3 - Carers UK Forum

AA/DLA possibly under threat- Benefits and Work site

Discuss news stories and political issues that affect carers.
All this information and mis-information
All those names above have been contacted.Will keep you posted as to any replies received.
Conversion of AA and DLA to part of a package of care to be administered by local authorities has been on the table for some time, whether or not it will happen is anyone's guess but it does seem popular with the government, strong opposition from the general public would seem to be the most effective way of killing the idea off but I suspect that the general public do not worry about such things until it affects them. I think that people with disabilities and their carers have lived with uncertainty for too long, it is about time the government recognised that if carers were not able or willing to care, and being able requires sufficient funds to pay for the additional costs of disability, this country would be on its financial knees, quite how we get that message across to them without walking out en masse is beyond me, we have tried hard enough Image .
I think the Individual Budget, Self Directed Support (whatever you want to call it) changes to Social Care are happening by stealth. My social worker recently told me we had to have an IB for my son and "everyone in our area now has one" which is totally untrue.
The IBs are to include funding streams from SS, the Independent Living Fund, Health, Disabled Facilities Grants and eventually DLA. The Social Worker will help you complete a Self Assessment form which will indicate how much money they feel you need via a RAS (resource allocation system) You will be gven the money and off you skip to buy and organise your own support. Take a look at the In Control website lots of happy stories but no downside.
I think we are sleep walking into this new system. Under current community care law once a need has been assessed it has to be met "regardless of cost". Under the new system each RAS has a ceiling and costs are kept to that limit.
I have already seen this start locally, a new Day service has started with no transport for clients. However, Im aware that they have a legal duty to provide transport but was told costs would be included in IBs so that clients could use bus/taxi or mobility vehicle. That will mean the end of Community Care transport and create a huge saving for Local Authorities

dla

DLA is 4 folk like my husband who cant work. It as i see it is a sort of wage 4 him although its not a lot but its smthing??? how can they take this away form him. Hes had cancer and is incontinent and scitzophrenia. OH MAN R THEY REALLY TAKING IT AWAY???
I'd like to say something about Rosemary's comments on scaremongering because I also worry about the many people who read the forum, who are perhaps not as clued into campaigning and the debate will think the government is going to take away DLA and AA. Let's be clear - there are no concerete proposals to take away DLA and AA.

However - some bright sparks in government are mooting the removal of AA as an idea "for discussion". That's all it is at moment. BUT and this is a very big but - It is crticially important that we all vocally show government this idea just won't work.
And that's the rub, because "ideas" germinate into "policy" at the drop of a hat if they are not stopped dead in their tracks.

What concerns me is that in one breath they say that AA and DLA are very flexible, universal, etc., and they don't want to lose that - and then talk about needing to design a new way of achieving what is already working!!! There's an old saying: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
I think that there are sufficient references to AA, and the possibility of DLA, becoming part of social care funding in the consultation document, including discussion of how this could be extended to devolved government, plus this has been mooted before and the Local Government Association has come out in favour of the idea, for this to be a strong possibility, note I do not say probability.

I think that it is one of those ideas which needs strong enough opposition to remove it from the proposals now because, although it will take time, I do believe that unless the idea is blocked now it will eventually happen and it has far-reaching implications not only for us but for those who find themselves in our position in the future. We are talking about massive year-on-year savings in the benefits budget, I have done some calculations, and a huge reduction in the funding to LAs in the future, it has enormous short-term fiscal advantages to the Treasury and political advantages to a government which is becoming increasingly unpopular.

The organisations which represent us, carers and people who have disabilities, do need to get the message across to government and the general public that although it appears advantageous to the taxpayer it is not as fiscally attractive as it appears, it will actuallly increase the cost of care because, in the long term and at a time when demographic changes will increase the demands on social services, caring for a relative will no longer be a financially viable option for many.
caring for a relative will no longer be a financially viable option for many.
We also have the other side of the coin, in that those who have children do not want them to go through what many of us have done/still doing.

Another concern is that as people are living longer,taking care of spouses', how many of them will actually be fit enough to care themselves or simply left to get on with it.

It is a must that we have more preventative measures put in place and not just the direction it is taking wherein eligibility criteria is tightened so that only those classed as critical receive help.
For all the government rhetoric there are no preventative measures in place locally and I know that other areas have the same problem as ours does, services which were once available to the long-term disabled are now concentrated on those acute conditions and our only access is via self-funding through the private sector which for many is not an option.
I sense a lot of conservatism here, a tenacious holding on to what we have. But why should it be so sacrilegious to discuss radical alternatives to the present ramshackle systems of welfare, some of which go back to the 1940's? I go to my local library, I can read the minutes of Parish meetings held in the 1800's where the merits of paying a pittance to the local widows of men killed in the pit were being discussed along with their morals. Things move on, thankfully.

We are now just about to enter the second decade of the 21st Century, and I would welcome any ideas, however outlandish, for improving the system. And as for "In Control" , well I think it is absolutely marvellous that my son could spend three weeks on holiday this summer with relatives in New Zealand rather than be forced to use a local residential respite service for kids with disabilities costing twice as much per week.
And as for "In Control" , well I think it is absolutely marvellous that my son could spend three weeks on holiday this summer with relatives in New Zealand rather than be forced to use a local residential respite service for kids with disabilities costing twice as much per week.
I agree with you Rob.
In Control,DPs',Individual Budgets, Personal Budgets, they are all great schemes, for those able to access them.They can in many situations improve a persons life so much, as you show us with your J.However, it is the ones who dont qualify, who dont get any services from local soc services wherein likes of AA/DLA are a lifeline, not just something they claim.

As regards the govt saying any changes would not affect existing claimants,does that mean we should just sit back.Dont take this the wrong way Rob, as after many chats we have had I do know a lot about J, about how much you and L want for him, but there is still an awful lot of work for the govt to do before they reach any sort of similar services for the elderly.

There is no bottomless pit of money, govt will never be able to give LAs' enough money to provide care for all those that need it.At least with AA/DLA there is a national entitlement that means people can use it to help with their dependency.