[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
900,000 Oaps failed by a lack of home help -Carers UK Forum

900,000 Oaps failed by a lack of home help

Discuss news stories and political issues that affect carers.
They are left alone to do everyday tasks.
This was in one of the papers the other day.
Hundreds of thousands of elderly people are struggling to get out of bed in the morning, wash themselves and prepare meals because they are not getting enough support at home.
David Cameron has allowed home care support to be withdrawn from thousands of people, this is a false economy and one of the main causes of the intense pressure on A&E.

There is plenty more in the article, the councils are cutting social care which is causing a generation of older people facing loneliness, neglect and struggling to cope at home.
Not just older people are being failed - so are young severely physically disabled people such as my 29 year old son!

Eun
It's across the board but the largest single group of people receiving care services, and the ones most likely to vote, are pensioners. They're also the ones most likely to buy newspapers. So much of the political and media rhetoric revolves about the people who they think keep them in work.

It's also why yesterday's scrounger suddenly becomes a sainted pensioner who worked all their lives today when they have a "significant" birthday...
As Eun says it is not just Oaps, another lady I help has arthritus, only in her 40's, she has applied to the council who have refused all help.
Again it is left to family and friends to help this lady.
This Country is a sheer disgrace & the Government should be utterly ashamed in the way that poor elderly people are being treated. Why? What have these poor people done to ever deserve this treatment?These Elderly people are to scared to speak up. Its un utter horror. Amandah
amandah wrote:This Country is a sheer disgrace & the Government should be utterly ashamed in the way that poor elderly people are being treated. Why? What have these poor people done to ever deserve this treatment?These Elderly people are to scared to speak up. Its un utter horror. Amandah
Apart from work hard, pay taxes and national insurance in the hope of being cared for in their old age, nothing. :(
I have been a carer for my wife of 34 years just gone. And I'm not a scrounger, the last person to say that ended up trying to prove that. We are carer's, being paid to care. We are not on the dole and scrounging as some make it out.
This really makes me so sad that this wretched Government are really letting so many people down. If it wasnt for us carers many people would simply not be able to cope.Everything seems such a fight. What a terrible state things have become Regards Amandah
The elderly should be treated with more respect by the social services etc. For most of their lives they have paid into this service. Not forgetting the nat., insurance etc. You and others have paid for this service and you should get it without any complaints from the council etc. Mybe in what I'm going to say now might cause problems. If you don't pay you don't get.