450,000 disabled people to lose out

Discuss news stories and political issues that affect carers.
450,000 disabled people to lose out under universal credit, study finds

The commission's report, based on surveys of 3,500 disabled people and their families, says about 450,000 disabled people could stand to lose out under universal credit once it is fully implemented. Many are likely to struggle to pay for basic essentials such as food and heating, it says.

read in full here

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/ ... sfeed=true
They were talking about this on TV today, I was dismayed to learn that disabled people living alone (my son is in Supported Living) will be worse off. I'm getting more and more worried about his situation next April, with changes to Housing Benefit and Council Tax too. It's all very well saying that they are going to "make work pay" but I don't think they understand that there is unlikely to ever be any job which my son can do. Treating disabled people as "normal" people doesn't make them "normal". Apologies if these aren't PC words this week!
I think you will find other members here who relate to your words BB. I know we have some worried about ILF funding being lost too
My local authority have formally decided that M would be better off being funded by them, rather than ILF. He's been on ILF for 6 years, and it's been a total nightmare, simply because neither of the care providers ever accepted what I said was true! The LA believe that if they commission the service, rather than me, they have a lot more "clout". I just hope they are right.
Treating disabled people as "normal" people doesn't make them "normal". Apologies if these aren't PC words this week!
How do you propose that people with disabilities are treated? Many people with a wide range of disabilities do work, many more would were it not the ignorance of employers who see their "abnormalities" without recognising that they are in fact normal people who also happen to have disabilities which may place restrictions what they can do but who also have talents, skills and potential which would make them good employees given the chance and the right employment opportunities.
It appears that a little more explanation is required. My son has severe learning difficulties, brain damaged at birth, he is hyperactive, unable to read or write, a condition which is irreversible. No matter how much the government might want him to work and get off benefits, realistically, it isn't going to happen. He is going to be reliant on benefits for the rest of his life. It seems to me that this government seems to regard all those on disability benefits as scroungers and malingerers, capable of work, but unwilling to do so. The future looks very bleak indeed for those people genuinely unable to work due to disability or illness. The current disability benefit review is aimed at significantly reducing the total spent on disability benefits. When I couldn't walk two steps pain free, my own claim for renewal of DLA Mobility was turned down repeatedly without anyone properly reading the doctor's full report. Eventually I was awarded DLA, but I felt that the system was far from impartial. No matter how much they said I could walk 300 yards, I couldn't.
That does not answer the question which related to your statement about disabled people in general rather than you and your son but no problem Image .
I freely admit to having no knowledge of any benefits payable to disabled people who are working. My comments were made thinking specifically about those people who are so hugely disadvantaged in the work place that realistically they are highly unlikely to get a job, like my son with learning difficulties. Although I am well qualified for work, when I was waiting for operations on both knees, after a very serious car accident, I too was unable to do meaningful work, due to pain and the side effects of the medication. On the other hand, I have a friend with an amputated leg who worked as a thatcher for some years!
I, too, have seen this on the news today and read reports on various sites online.
However, I don't understand it. Does anyone?
WHY are 450,000 disabled people to lose out? Exactly what is being lost? Exactly what is being changed/lost in Universal Credit that disabled people get now? I know Bedroom Tax is one of them but what else? None of the news articles seem to clarify.

The only thing I *have* read is that there have been suggestions that this is nothing more than scaremongering (again!) and frankly, they could be right - unless we knew exactly what's being changed to cause these reports.
On the other hand, I have a friend with an amputated leg who worked as a thatcher for some years!
I hope you haven't told him he's not 'normal'! Image

Seriously, I find the most worrying aspect of this is the fact that people are being financially discriminated against by the Government purely on the grounds of their disability. The payments they received were to enable them to have a life limited only by their capabilities, not by the constraints of society.
So much for 'making work pay.' Image