Carers Pay to travel in London

Share your petitions or campaigns here.
141 posts
Amanda's petition ... 4,054 as I type ... any increase is appreciated.

To add insult to injury , Glasgow has announced a 40% increase in bus fares :

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/1581 ... the_young/

Backlash over 'unfair' new Glasgow bus fares impact on the young.

Diarise forward ... once a date for the " Carers Strategy " is announced , I will then progress this thread together with the 21 Hour Rule one.
An interesting article from the Sheffield Star ... the travel element highlighted :

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/prime-mi ... -1-9040184

Prime Minister to meet young carers from Sheffield to discuss Government policy.

Prime Minister Theresa May has agreed to meet a group of 'inspirational' young carers from Sheffield to discuss Government policy.

Sheffield Central MP Paul Blomfield said youngsters in the city who care for parents with acute illnesses have 'practical ideas' on how politicians can improve their own lives.

His comments came in front of a packed House of Commons full of fellow MPs during Prime Minister's Questions on Wednesday.

Mr Blomfield praised city charity Sheffield Young Carers and spoke about a case of a child from the age of eight supporting her father with illness while juggling school.

Sheffield Young Carers is an independent charity dedicated to supporting young carers across the city. The charity has been running since 1997.

The charity is also backing a petition set up by Heeley MP Louise Haigh calling for free travel passes for young carers to help with education and training.

Speaking in Parliament today, Mr Blomfield said: "Sheffield Young Carers, is a group for inspirational young people who balance all the normal challenges of their young lives with the demands of caring for a parent or a sibling often with acute needs.

People like John who's been caring for his mother with fibromyalgia from the age of 10 or Pheobe who's supporting her father with mental health problems from the age of eight.

They have some practical ideas about what the Government can do to make their lives easier. Would the Prime Minister like to meet them and hear their proposals?

In response, Prime Minister Theresa May said: "There are many young people who are caring for their parents and sometimes caring for their other siblings as well, all to often going unseen and unheard.

One of the things we are doing as a Government is trying to ensure we do see more opportunities more ability to identify to assess young carers and their families and to support them and to make the rights of young carers clearer.

I know the Department for Health & Social Care is intending to publish a plan setting out our targeted cross-government action on this area but I'd be happy to meet with the group of young carers to hear directly from them."

Fine ... what about the BIGGER ISSUE in providing free public transport for ALL carers ?

In addition , NO MENTION of the 21 Hour Rule regarding the bar for many carers seeking further education ?

When one is planning to launch an assault on the enemy's position , one has to marshall ALL resources ... and not just send a mere 10 / 20 in the hope that they will breach the front line ?

At times , I despair ... and this is one of them !

What price for a supporting organisation , unrestrained by charity considerations , to be behind the front line marshalling all available resources ????
Brief update.

Reads now pass 13,000 ... this thread means a lot to many carers !!!

Amanda's petition has now reached ... 4,499 ... as I type.

In two other threads , the " Carers Card " has been mentioned.

What an opportunity for BOTH our supporting organisations to work together on this.

One swipe and ... free public transport , free prescriptions ... to name just two spin offs ???

I'll update again as soon as there is an opportunity to advance forward ... especially as " The Carers' Strategy " is due some time in the summer.
Curiosity ... possibly my biggest asset ( Or liability ? ) when it comes to carers ?

Trawl and thee shall find ... from 11 years ago ... dovetails nicely into this thread.

https://www.carersuk.org/forum/news-and ... travel-695

ELEVEN years and counting ... needless to add , no " Red " dared add a comment ... one of the few threads at that time wherein a Red did not make a comment ... on behalf of Carers UK ... views were exchanged freely ... then !

Otherwise , a cynic like me just might just ask ... " Have you found the burial plot amongst all the other unmarked graves , yet ? "

#############################################################################################

As an aside , anyone venturing through the old threads ... in particular 2007 & 2008 ... what a difference , interaction between posters and CUK ... exchanging views / ideas ... as if it were a partnership.

Fast forward to 2018 and ... they say that the past is better than the present ???
An article from the Guardian on a wheelchair bound person's trials and tribulations on the getting around by train and London Underground :

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... led-person

Always a good challenge for any politician.

Put said politician in a wheelchair , and get him / her to travel across the Smoke using both modes of transport !!!

To add a little flavouring , a Saturday during the footie season ... marauding gangs of hooligans chasing each other over the whole system !!!

Slightly over the top but ... ensure chosen " Volunteer " gets plenty to drink before setting off ... how many Underground stations have wcs ??

For the cherry on the top ... Oyster card ... under funded !!!

One very interesting bit of for us carers :

And there are many other things that could be done to improve the experience of disabled people travelling, such as a Turn Up & Go system that actually works across the country, more dedicated assistance staff, and free travel nationally for carers and assistants.

Logical as ... night following day ???
When one spends a few minutes going through the ARCHIVES , little diamonds often emerge :

https://www.carersuk.org/forum/news-and ... gners-3084

2008 ... Carers UK are " Aware " of the problem , will continue to lobby.

2016 ... Carers UK step back in and , Policy Team will " Look at this Issue in the New Year. "

2017 ... Spring ... Issue snatched back from Carers UK ... who are , presumably still lobbying ?

In short , a decade ... and assuming how much carers spend when accompaning their caree on public transport , adjusted for inflation ... a sum of £ 1.3 BILLION +/- 5% has disappeared from many pockets / wallets in CarerLand !!!

That fact alone should tell any reader how vital this Issue is for carers !!!

The only consulation for the Class of 2018 carers is that most buses and trains now have " Wheel on , wheel off " facilities for wheelchair users.

Not so in my time , I pushed my mother in a wheelchair virually everywhere , and in all weathers.
An article from across the water ... Ireland ... and how free travel on oublic transport has effected them :

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/f ... 69806.html

Free travel for nearly 1m people cost €77m in 2017.

The number of people availing of free travel has dramatically risen along with the ageing population over the past decade.

More than 900,000 Irish people, mainly pensioners, availed of free travel last year which is an increase of 42% since 2007 when 637,312 people had a free travel pass.

Ireland’s population has been getting steadily older since the 1980s, with over-65s seeing the largest increase in population in the last census, so the number eligible for free travel is expected to continue to rise.

Figures released to Fianna Fáil TD Robert Troy in a written question reveals that there are 908,675 customers in receipt of free travel.

Regina Doherty, Minister for Employment Affairs and Social Protection, said the free travel scheme is available to all people aged over 66 living permanently in the state, along with other qualifying applicants.

“The free travel scheme permits free travel on most CIE public transport services, Luas and a range of services offered by some 80 private operators in various parts of the country for those eligible under the scheme,” she said.

The free travel scheme was introduced by the late Charlie Haughey in 1967. It is available to all people after their 66th birthday if they are living permanently in the State.

Others who may apply include those in receipt of the disability allowance, blind pension, carer’s allowance, and invalidity pension.

Free travel is available on all state bus and rail services and Dublin’s Luas along with a number of private operators.

Last year, the State paid out more than €77m on the scheme which allows passholders to travel the country free of charge

That figure increased 40% from the €55m spent on the scheme in 2005.

In 2017, more than €61m went to CIE to pay for train and bus routes operated by the State body.

Just under €4m was spent on journeys in the capital on the Luas, while private operators were paid just under €9m.

The All-Ireland free travel scheme for senior citizens which allows seamless all- island travel began more than a decade ago in 2007.

It allows those aged 66 and over in the Republic to travel free of charge on all bus and rail services in the North while senior citizens from the North also travel free on bus, rail and other services participating in the free travel scheme south of the border.

Last year, just under €98,000 was spent on the cross-border travel scheme.

The Free Travel Scheme was introduced more than 50 years ago to allow old-age pensioners and blind pensioners to take advantage of spare capacity on public transport at off-peak times.

It was later broadened out to allow pass holders to travel at any time they wished.

Imagine the same concession scheme over 'ere in the UK ?

Would liberate both caers and their carees and SAVE carers alone some £ 400 / 500 MILLION per annum.

On the figures alone , IT IS VITAL THAT THIS ISSUE IS ON THE TABLE FOR THE FORTHCOMING CARERS STRATEGY !!!
Amanda's petition ?

Still moving upwards albeit at a slow pace

4,625 as I type.
Just spotted a reference on FaceAche that Carers UK are engaged with others on the subject of transport ... making it easier to visit carees in hospital.

Anyone know if THIS ISSUE is part of the discussions ?

Again , perfect opportunity ...

If not , anyone else now believe that something underhand may be going on here ???
Anyone else on a manor where discounts are now available to job seekers ?

London :

https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/a ... l-discount

Stagecoach :

https://www.stagecoachbus.com/promos-an ... k-on-board

Rail card :

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/ ... f-railcard

Carers ?

At times , anyone feel like breaking the house rules in the use of good old fashioned English expressions ???

Join the queue ... 3 miles long as I type.
141 posts