[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
2019 Carers Week - OPPORTUNITY LOST IN SHAMBLES! - Carers UK Forum

2019 Carers Week - OPPORTUNITY LOST IN SHAMBLES!

Share your petitions or campaigns here.
Post a reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
There's a whole page of my local paper devoted to "Carers Week".

A quarter of the page was provided by Bluebird Care, so all to do with PAID carers"
A quarter of the page was a huge advert for Wiltshire Foods.
Another quarter devoted to disability bathrooms.
The rest was shared between
An article about how to get a Disabled Facilities grant (re the bathroom).
A small ad for New Forest Disability (excellent advice bureau)
An article entitled "What is Carer's Allowance?" possibly from CUK - no mention that over pension age people don't qualify

And finally, something entitled "Carers at breaking Point" by CUK -
WITH NO MENTION THAT CARERS ARE UNPAID CARERS
NO MENTION OF OUR FORUM.

My area has the highest population of elderly in the country. I'm dismayed and so disappointed.
Needless to add , it's basically a week for all those attached to us to smile for the cameras , pat us on the head and
... for the second year running ... encourage us to take up our concerns with our local mps.

( Remember last year BB ... adwards ceremony for paid carers ... with a Carers Week banner in the background ? )

The cry has gone out ... THERE'S MONIES TO BE MADE ... as amply demonstrated by BB's local rag.

As for US , we can sit and watch them going through the motions ... end of week and ... just how much has changed
in CarerLand ?

Here in Worksop ... as mentioned elsewhere ... my local food bank will continue to provide essential supplies to those
carers amongst our ranks who need them.

If any of our supporting organisations want to help us ... by all means send over a few volunteers to assist.

We have also put aside some tar and feathers ... in case one of those volunteers starts rattling a collection tin ...
thus competing for much needed resources ... we use ours to FEED and CLOTHE carers in need.

Like all other food banks , entirely run by volunteers ... not a penny squandered on wages !!!

Meanwhile ... up the road in Sheffield , this is just one of the events for needy carers to attend :
Council and Carers Choir

Aimed At:

All carers

Offered By:
Date: Monday 10th June 2019
Time: 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm
Where: Moorfoot Building

I wonder what songs those in the queue at the local food bank , a few hundred yards away , will be singing ...
especially if the supplies run out ... as what has happened at several food banks lately ?
"Food Glorious Food"? We do seem to have returned to Victorian times.
For many areas , they haven't really recovered from those days ... mining , steel making , manufacturing , fishing ...
all now gone and what's left a mere shell.

4,000 + food banks ... diseases rife that were last seen in Victorian times ... 14 million surviving below the official poverty line.

Yep , many have come along way since those times.

However , a sizeable minoriy .... including HALF the carer army ... are regressing fast back to those times.

If your old / disabled / caring , there is a seat reserved for you on that express train to Victorian Times.
I get papers for one of the caree's including the local rag, the latter I glanced through and there was nothing whatsoever on carers week. There was some bits about volunteers, hospital heroes... double spreads on the library closure protests, the Magna Carta. Typical tory rag.

From our local "carers hub"

https://us8.campaign-archive.com/?u=b9a ... 93db0abd2d

If I recall correctly, Chris' old stomping grounds - nowonder you are up north now. Its bloody terrible down here - the crime is at the worst in living memory and has engulfed not just the main town but all surrounding areas (people pegged onto the police doing bugger all) which is saying something, my parents started out in a rough area - bath houses were still in use then!

I don't even know where to start with food banks.. most of us that have pitched into the voluntary sector or had circumstances leading to being a past service user even would know they've always been a thing.. just in a much less significant capacity than today.

I think farm foods advertising isn't actually that bad BB, they are such an essential service for certain people (especially those with dietary needs) and while I know it seems little than a glorified meals on wheels its one of the few things out there that still works as its supposed to. Some good people work there.
Yep ... Southend-on-Sea ... passed through there on me way to work for 8 years ... afterwards , spend another 7 years
on a neighbouring manor.

Just love what's on offer down there ... are these " Activities " mirror imaged across the country ?

( Morris dancing in the shires perhaps ? Where's Mo when he's needed ? )

Food banks ?

When 100,000+ of our fellow carers needed to visit one in the last calender year ... on the finances front , everything else
including those collection tins pales into insignificance ... I'm now an " Extension " to the local one on this manor , Worksop.

( Farm Foods ? Good relationship with our local one ... about 150 yards across the road from me ... we continually pester ,
they continually deliver ... even drop stuff off to us if we are running short occasionly !

Their 7.5 kg bags of spuds for £ 2.99 ... one lasts me 6 days ... VERY sort after by us ! A couple tend to go awol at times ! )

Excuse me for asking but ... any demos planned anywhere ?

( Sponsored " Guide dog " pile onto buses to highlight the no free public transport issue ... complete with as many
carees in wheelchairs as possible ... perhaps ? )

CUK itself led one just under a decade ago ... stuff of legends so I was told ... nothing more on that or I will be breach of the
Forum rules ... no Committee Room booked ?
Instead of organising these events they should be organising a march on parliament !!!!
Been there , done that ... as far as CUK are concerned ... 2009 ?

Nope , traditional methods aren't working ... quite a lengthy exchange on this one on CarerWatch ... available
from the archives ... now past a decade ago !

Our best ally ?

A JUDGE ... his / her ruling ... preferably a Law Lord .. and a 100% majority decision at that.

( 2 ladies recently won judgement against the DWP ... recorded elsewhere ... which resulted in more monies for millions of claimants ! )

Anything else ?

Old hat and ... dare I say it again after a decade ... futile !

( At least Charles isn't around anymore waiting to shoot me down in using that word ... circa 2006 , Old PRT forum ? )
I couldn't say Chris, I don't really have much in terms of contacts here anymore in fact this is probably the most isolated I've ever been. As touched upon in another thread many of us are just knuckling down and trying to survive right now, which is concerning because my gut tells me worse lies around the corner in the upcoming years.. and my instincts are usually right, its how we've managed till now.

As far as the hub goes, they are in partnership with the council (they assess people for carer assessment referrals), you have to be registered with them to access their services (something I've been very vocal regarding the legality of, in the sense of why we're being made to volunteer so much sensitive information to what is basically a third party/unknown entity in order to access a council service), on top of the bad experiences I've had with social services itself that bridge is not just burned, it disintegrated.

I share the opinion that carers week for many appears to have succumbed to monetization and is becoming a simple show case for the paid/professional sector.. which is irony at play when you consider why it originally came about.

I am quite sure before the week is through we might see articles, or bits of news even talking up carers week, and the contribution made by those doing what they do.. and thats fine, but personally I see it as just words, I can't do much with that.
Hubs / carers centres ... like the one in Bromley that needed £ 500,000 for the year to keep going ?

( Never got to the bottom of that one ! )

I presume organised and run by academics and / or suits ?

Therein lies most of the answer.

Those run by volunteers / carers themselves ... and at street level ... are often the best.

Why ?

Quite simple ... everyone talks the same language and no outside influences from any supporting organisations !

As for Carers Week , CUK should always ask themselves one question ... " What would Mary Webster have made of all this ? "

Perhaps the same reation as if Nye Bevan was being asked about the present state of the NHS ?

His reply would have been unprintable !

And , not only for being in Welsh !