[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Change the “Wait and See” Policy please; it’s wrong! - Carers UK Forum

Change the “Wait and See” Policy please; it’s wrong!

Share your petitions or campaigns here.
My mam is demonstrating dementia-type behaviours: she's become verbally aggressive, suspicious, paranoid, a hoarder (cash and food), childish, easy provoked, impulsive, nice-in-the-morning - but evil-incarnate-at-night, mistrusting and self-centred, and forgetting what day it is (and she will argue blue if you tell her the correct date). She’s doing bizarre things like shopping for a huge amount of food, then the next day – turning off the fridge/freezer; had I not noticed it – all her meat stocks would have thawed. She even once sent a £100 cheque to the Prince of Wales.

I spoke to the Admiral Nurses. One said that it’s hard to diagnose Dementia since there is no official “test” for it. All the GP and “experts” will do – is run a basic Memory test: “John Bull, lives in 23 Carmine Street, Essex;” they chat – then at the end – they ask the name and address. Mam just passes it – almost perfectly; she’s better than me! Then there’s the “Clock drawing” test, which she passes too. There is the more arduous 20 min cognitive test that a Phycologist conducts – but she gets through that no problem. So according to their tests – mam is perfectly able to use her memory; she has “Capacity.”

But these “tests” do not address the change in her behaviour and personality, as I’ve listed. The only thing that my mam does not yet display is lack of decorum. She is well dressed most of the time. She appears lucid when you talk to her seriously. Since she still has "Capacity" the Social Services will not take her in hand. She's still treated as a person with rights and her wishes are respected. The Police are involved and many times - they've mentioned more care is needed. But Social Services will not do anything until she loses "Capacity" or poses as a physical danger to others. That means – she’ll need to go out butt-naked into the streets or play with her excrement.

They really want my mum to lose her dignity before acting to restore it. This has to be against human rights. The NHS policy is wrong in this instance. It’s like they are wanting a house to first burn down, before they impose fire-prevention methods; it’s kinda too late then.

I’ve nothing against the NHS; it’s an organization trying its best to deal with one health-crisis after another. But this policy of waiting for Dementia to be fully developed – is next to criminal negligence. It’s patently obvious – it’s unethical and wasteful of resources.

The Police are forced to deal with cases like this; wasting their time. The tax-payer money my mum will squander since she’s now been given “control” over her Pension and DLA – should cause the public some concern. And the suffering and disturbance the patient will inflict on the Carer, Friends and Neighbours – is without monetary compensation.
I understood that a CT scan would show any brain abnormality, because with dementia type illnesses the brain gradually shrinks? There are others here who know far more than me about this. I just know how devastating an issue dementia is. I've lost a wonderful grandmother, mother in law and sister in law to the illness, and I'm worried that my lovely niece may well succumb to the same problem one day.
Victor_1805 wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:44 am
My mam is demonstrating dementia-type behaviours: she's become verbally aggressive, suspicious, paranoid, a hoarder (cash and food), childish, easy provoked, impulsive, nice-in-the-morning - but evil-incarnate-at-night, mistrusting and self-centred, and forgetting what day it is (and she will argue blue if you tell her the correct date). She’s doing bizarre things like shopping for a huge amount of food, then the next day – turning off the fridge/freezer; had I not noticed it – all her meat stocks would have thawed. She even once sent a £100 cheque to the Prince of Wales.

I spoke to the Admiral Nurses. One said that it’s hard to diagnose Dementia since there is no official “test” for it. All the GP and “experts” will do – is run a basic Memory test: “John Bull, lives in 23 Carmine Street, Essex;” they chat – then at the end – they ask the name and address. Mam just passes it – almost perfectly; she’s better than me! Then there’s the “Clock drawing” test, which she passes too. There is the more arduous 20 min cognitive test that a Phycologist conducts – but she gets through that no problem. So according to their tests – mam is perfectly able to use her memory; she has “Capacity.”

But these “tests” do not address the change in her behaviour and personality, as I’ve listed. The only thing that my mam does not yet display is lack of decorum. She is well dressed most of the time. She appears lucid when you talk to her seriously. Since she still has "Capacity" the Social Services will not take her in hand. She's still treated as a person with rights and her wishes are respected. The Police are involved and many times - they've mentioned more care is needed. But Social Services will not do anything until she loses "Capacity" or poses as a physical danger to others. That means – she’ll need to go out butt-naked into the streets or play with her excrement.

They really want my mum to lose her dignity before acting to restore it. This has to be against human rights. The NHS policy is wrong in this instance. It’s like they are wanting a house to first burn down, before they impose fire-prevention methods; it’s kinda too late then.

I’ve nothing against the NHS; it’s an organization trying its best to deal with one health-crisis after another. But this policy of waiting for Dementia to be fully developed – is next to criminal negligence. It’s patently obvious – it’s unethical and wasteful of resources.

The Police are forced to deal with cases like this; wasting their time. The tax-payer money my mum will squander since she’s now been given “control” over her Pension and DLA – should cause the public some concern. And the suffering and disturbance the patient will inflict on the Carer, Friends and Neighbours – is without monetary compensation.

This is an ongoing crime against humanity; and it’s being allowed here in the UK – the supposed font of all that is Law-abiding and Civilized! It’s a catastrophe! In this context – the NHS is utterly reprehensible as well as Social Services.
I can't help, but I can confirm that you're 100% correct.

My wife "passed" all those tests, albeit it would have been a disappointingly low score if there was such a thing, (I was there for the last 15 minutes), fortunately she doesn't sound as bad as your Mum, (yet), but we know our loved ones better after 50 years than any psychologist ever will after 50 minutes and my wife is definitely not the same person that I married, either mentally, or more noticeably, physically.