Caring - epetition - Government reply

Share your petitions or campaigns here.
We have between now and March to make our voices heard as much as possible regarding Carers Allowance.Once their findings are published in March,if not what carers need ( and no doubt they wont be ), we can kiss any other solutions goodbye for another 10 years.

I know letters/emails etc have all been done before and we get the standard letters back but especially for those 24/7 carers sometimes they are the only options available.

Let your fingers do the walking/talking.Those that have the energy left, write to your MP.s ,local papers,national papers again.Phone your MP's office.Do anything that you have the time and will to do.Please dont sit back.I know most of you are tired,tired of being taken for granted,tired of the poverty,tired of services being cut/outpriced but this is our last chance to try achieve some real changes.

There is no answer fits all,too many different categories of carers to make sure everyone is satisfied straight away.However,reading this forum and others,listening at that Newcastle event,the 1st step has to be finances.Thats my opinion anyways and I would like to add in case anyone thinks me mercenery,I do not and have not claimed CA.Any changes will not affect me but I do know how it affects most here.

Caring - epetition reply 21 November 2007

We received a petition asking:

"We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to Increase Carers Allowance to better reward those who save the country money by their actions."

Details of Petition:

"The amount of Cares Allowance does not reflect the contribution in money terms made by the people who receive it. They save Nursing costs and Personal Care costs well in excess of the weekly amount which is at present just over £46 a week."

Read the petition
Petitions home page
Read the Government's responseThank you for your petition that closed on 17 February 2007 concerning Carer's Allowance. I am sorry for the lengthy delay in replying.

The Government does recognise that the care in the community arrangements rely to a great extent on the tremendous personal commitment of those people who are prepared to give their time so freely to their caring role.

Our social security system is one of the very few that has a benefit specifically for carers. The Government do recognise however that Carer's Allowance does not cover lost earnings nor fully compensate people for the time that they spend in such important supportive care. However, carers with limited resources can receive more substantial help from Income Support, Housing Benefit, Council Tax Benefit and Pension Credit for those aged 60 and over.

All of these can all be paid at higher rates for carers. The basic Pension Credit guarantee of £114.05 for single pensioners and £174.05 for couples is increased by £26.35 where the additional amount for carers is payable.

Carers now have opportunity to build or to continue to build entitlement to the State Second Pension. In addition, carers will benefit from the proposal in our recent White Paper on Pensions reform to move to 30 qualifying years for a full basic State Pension for people reaching State Pension age on or after 6 April 2010.

The Government are also aware that carers need practical help and the Carers Grant was introduced in 1999 to support councils in providing breaks and services for carers in England. It is worth £185million this year and next year and this means that the Government will have invested over £1billion in support for carers by 2008.

You may be interested to know that, Carer's Allowance, together with many other issues, is being examined as part of the cross-Government review of the National Strategy for Carers, led by the Department of Health. The findings are due to be published in March next year.
Can I ask that the Governments response to the above petition is posted in as many different places as possible even non carer related.Take it back to as many forums that you belong too,use the internet to spread it as far and wide as we can.I have posted it on CarersUnited and Tonys National Forum just now.

Thank you

Rosemary
I totally agree Rosemary! Shall pass the reply on to all places that I'm a member of Image