[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Carers Pay to travel in London - Page 6 - Carers UK Forum

Carers Pay to travel in London

Share your petitions or campaigns here.
183 posts
Taxis are defo a travel option however bro has a freedom pass for tubes and buses (so he should be able to travel free) and he can't use it unless a carer goes with him (me) to support him and that carer has to pay.

It doesn't sit right with me that I should be out of further out of pocket when I'm caring. Fair enough if I'm travelling alone then I understand I should pay (maybe a concession rate if on a low income) but if I'm moving bros wheelchair (which he couldn't move otherwise) etc then I'm essentially having to pay to care! Disabled people have guide dogs who go free, walking sticks, glasses, wheelchairs, etc ... if a carer is 'essential' then I think they should go free. They are a 'reasonable adjustment' to enable access in my mind ... which is why, I imagine, venues eg cinemas, concerts, etc offer free carers.

I do see that there could be a legal / equality argument ... I'm not clued up with all of that at the mo.
I do see that there could be a legal / equality argument
That's precisely why our supporting organisations should handle this issue given their experience , and contacts in the legal field.

It would be a reasonable assumption that our caree supporting organisations are also aware of the problem , as would be numerous mps from issues raised by carers in their own constituencies.

Let's all sit back and await developments.
Just a nudge to get this important issue back into the spotlight.

Views are increasing as opposed to falling off.

Issue posted on several other web sites to bring it to the attention of as many readers as possible.

If any reader sees a carer orientated forum without the link , please post it on there !
An opportunity for the Voice to add concessions for carers to a forthcoming Bill ?

https://www.theguardian.com/public-lead ... st-economy

Strike while the iron is hot , no good " Lobbying " after the debates end , and the proposed Bill reaches the next stage ?

Lobbying ? Occasionly , lobbing a brick is more effective ?
Not carer related but .... an initial DWP decision that beggars belief !

https://www.theguardian.com/public-lead ... st-economy

If any reader thinks that there is not a war going on out there , think again ?

Not bullets or bombs , that's not our way.

And yet , the effects can be just as deadly for many of our fellow citizens.

Thanks to the recent one-on-one with Helena , CEO , we are now assured that the policy team have instructions from above , adding to Nikki's assurance back in December.

One perverse argument that both fits in with present Government policy , and the lack of knowlege of what carers do / are , would be :

" Okay , we'll arrange for all carers to be issued with a travel card whereby they travel half price when accompaning their caree. In turn , all travel cards now issued to all carees will enable them to travel at half price when their carer accompanies them. Simples ? "

Net result ? Our caree pays our fare with no loss to the transport system !

0 + 1 = 1 , 1\2 + 1\2 = 1.

Assume 1 in 100 carers use the transport system tomorrow , that's 60,000 or there abouts.

Each carer pays on average £ 3 full fare.

That's £ 180,000 ( £ 64.8 million over a 360 day year ) for just one day straight out of those carers' pockets !

Put another way , that cost equals a rise of £ 3 per week for all carers currently claiming Carers Pittance.

For some of those carers , no hot meal for them tomorrow as their caree's needs take priority. Perhaps even a food bank if monies are that tight ?

Increase the numbers / level of fares and the figures are astounding.

Time is money ... and the clock has been ticking on this one !

There's enough ammunition to fight several battles contained within the earlier postings.

It's amazing what information there is scattered across the threads if only they are read by those with the power to act ?
One of the campaigns doing the rounds.

https://www.change.org/p/free-concessio ... -kingdom/c

Despite the continuing low numbers , the comments made by people signing the petition are of great interest ... especially to anyone reading this Thread with the power to act , and bring this " Abonimation " to the attention of a much wider audience.

As an aside , I wonder if any member of the Policy Team who attended the David Mowat / All Party Carers Group in the House two days ago mentioned this issue ... or would that have breached established protocol to be observed at such meetings ???

And , let us all once again take note.

If carer travel concessions become a reality , it will be of more financial benefit to the 6 million carers out there than any other measure ... including Carers Pittance which is currently claimed by , around , 1 in 12 carers !!!

The stakes with this one are the highest yet.
Chris From The Gulag wrote:Thanks to the recent one-on-one with Helena , CEO , we are now assured that the policy team have instructions from above , adding to Nikki's assurance back in December.

One perverse argument that both fits in with present Government policy , and the lack of knowlege of what carers do / are , would be :

" Okay , we'll arrange for all carers to be issued with a travel card whereby they travel half price when accompaning their caree. In turn , all travel cards now issued to all carees will enable them to travel at half price when their carer accompanies them. Simples ? "

Net result ? Our caree pays our fare with no loss to the transport system !

0 + 1 = 1 , 1\2 + 1\2 = 1.

Assume 1 in 100 carers use the transport system tomorrow , that's 60,000 or there abouts.

Each carer pays on average £ 3 full fare.

That's £ 180,000 ( £ 64.8 million over a 360 day year ) for just one day straight out of those carers' pockets !

Put another way , that cost equals a rise of £ 3 per week for all carers currently claiming Carers Pittance.

For some of those carers , no hot meal for them tomorrow as their caree's needs take priority. Perhaps even a food bank if monies are that tight ?

Increase the numbers / level of fares and the figures are astounding.

Time is money ... and the clock has been ticking on this one !

There's enough ammunition to fight several battles contained within the earlier postings.

It's amazing what information there is scattered across the threads if only they are read by those with the power to act ?
Elderly and some disabled people have a freedom pass that entitles them to travel free ... why should they have to pay half of the carers travel when they don't have to pay for their own? (would disabled people who don't need carers go free and those who do have to pay half their carers travel? This would be unfair) Why should a carer have to pay anything when supporting the person they care for?

A guide dog travels free, presumably as it is the 'reasonable adjustment' that enables the disabled person to travel, so why does a carer have to travel to do the same?!
Elderly and some disabled people have a freedom pass that entitles them to travel free ... why should they have to pay half of the carers travel when they don't have to pay for their own? (would disabled people who don't need carers go free and those who do have to pay half their carers travel? This would be unfair)

Just one ( hypothetical ) solution that may be offered in the perverse way carers sometimes are seen to benefit when in reality the actual postion is neutral when factoring in said change to our caree's position.

In short robbing Richard to pay Paul ... a political ploy seen across decades.

Perhaps we should ask our caree to carry a white stick whilst we dress up as a dog ?

Crazy .... but in reality , is it not a clear case of discrimination as mentioned earlier in this thread ?

###########################################################################

Perhaps I should put a clock on this Thread ... ticks over day by day.

Display would be two numbers ... days passed since Nikki's assurance in December , the second being the number of days times a value in £'s ... just as a reminded of how much money has disappeared from carers pockets / purses in travel costs.

Today ... Day 86 ... £ 180,000 per day ( Including weekends ... we care / travel on all 7 ! ) ... that makes
£ 15.480 MILLION folks .... and money clearly talks !!!

A parody of that other clock which records the National Debt ... the figures on that one spin too fast to read beyond being in the trillions if adding on off balance sheet borrowing !
Tick tock.

Tick tock.

Whilst that infamous clock ticks on , and the numbers after the £ sign increase , another campaign worthy of being recorded ... seems doomed to failure BUT , at least some others are trying to help make this Issue known :

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/ ... for-carers

Tick tock.

Tick tock ....
183 posts