CARERS' LETTER FOR MPs, etc.

Share your petitions or campaigns here.
Hi, Lou,

So what does it matter so long as individual carers who post on this board see a vision and follow it? It is individual CARERS who will be sending the letter - individual carers who who work, live and breathe real caring 24/7 - not any organisation! That's the whole point behind the letter!!!

I don't think any reply from CUK will be from 'faceless officials', I think it will be from real people who are/were carers themselves and who empathise with with our lives and our purpose. However, having worked in the legal department of the Charity Commission for many years, I can understand why this letter could compromise their charitable status. This isn't niaivety, this is an attempt to challenge the government and get a fair deal for carers whilst keeping the charities which support us within the bounds of British Law.

Love, Pysie
Hello Pysie

What a great letter from Cheryl, took alot of time on her part to do that and though some Carers can add delete where necessary, she has certainly covered a majority of it - well done to Cheryl and also to you for helping her get this letter Attention

I have my letter ready and waiting and at the moment I have secured one local news paper for Carers Week to print it! I am also going to email it to everyone I know and print copies for friends and family. You just tell us the day its to go and I'll be ready.

Take care
Maryann x
Quick refresher to keep the letter prominent!
Carers Uk is unable to endorse the letter, but more than happy for the letter to be shared among carers. The problems cited in the letter are encountered by our Advice Workers when dealing with carers on a day to day basis.

The reason for not endorsing the letter is that as a membership organisation we had a debate at one of our AGMs where a motion was passed setting out our policy in relation to Carer's Allowance, namely that it should be raised to the level of the State pension in the short term and to the level of the minimum wage in the longer term.

Overall responsibility for our campaign policy remains with our Trustees who are elected by our membership. Any changes to our campaign objectives would need to be agreed by our Trustees.

you may also be aware that we launched an investigation into the impact of caring on carers' finances back in November. 3,000 carers have told us about their stories. Watch this space for the results...

Gavin
Hi, Gavin,

Thanks for your reply. I am sure we all understand why PRTC feels unable to endorse the letter publicly. The policy you quote would go a long way to helping carers financially and is, I suppose, what most carers are demanding of the Government. Good luck in pressing it forward!

I wonder how many carers know that the Royal Commission on Care of the Elderly recommended CA should be raised to the same level as Basic State Pension in 1999? That was almost 10 years ago!!!!

The level of CA is not the only issue to be addressed, though. As you will know from various web-sites, carers are becoming increasingly frustrated by the Governmnet's attitude. Yes, we understand it would cost the country a huge amount to give us a genuine 'fair deal', but we are fed up with being the 'cinderella' in Government priority.

In the end, we are all fighting the same cause. The 'Letter' is a further attempt for individual carers to make their views known and to raise the profile of caring. Hopefully it might suggest that there are many, many carers who have not been given the opportunity to participate in consultations with organisations or govrenment departments but who, nonetheless, struggle with their caring role.

Thank the Trustees for allowing us to use this board, please. And are we able to contact CUK carers' centres direct?

Best wishes,
Pysie
I can't understand why CARERS UK can't endorse this letter. It's a great chance to embassess the government but it's being turned down?

EXACTLY HOW do Carers UK claim to be the voice of carers when it won't endorse a carers letter? This place IS as bad as I was told.

OK can your CEO endorse it PERSONALLY? That would give the letter some credibility otherwise it is just another load of ranting by whining carers, or is that what carers uk wants it to look like?
Pysie,

I fully agree about fighting the same cause.

We want the proposed National Strategy to be really forward thinking so that the Government words New Deal really mean something. We are holding three consultation events where carers will meet with Government Ministers http://www.carersuk.org/Getinvolved/Eve ... tionEvents.

we are also planning a major event on 8th November in London where carers will have the chance to debate the future support for carers - I'm sure funding for social care as well as carer benefits will be hot topics. We want to invite Government ministers along to hear from carers directly and to help shape the New Deal/Carers Strategy. we will let everyone know about the details shortly.

Gavin
Pysie,

I fully agree about fighting the same cause.

We want the proposed National Strategy to be really forward thinking so that the Government words New Deal really mean something. We are holding three consultation events where carers will meet with Government Ministers http://www.carersuk.org/Getinvolved/Eve ... tionEvents.

we are also planning a major event on 8th November in London where carers will have the chance to debate the future support for carers - I'm sure funding for social care as well as carer benefits will be hot topics. We want to invite Government ministers along to hear from carers directly and to help shape the New Deal/Carers Strategy. we will let everyone know about the details shortly.

Gavin
Canwe take this as a 'no' then? I mean about your boss not personally endorsing this letter? If it's a no then you are not fighting the same cause are you? How can you be fighting the same cause, do YOU have to live on under 50 pounds a week? Do you have to work every day of the week 24 hours a day? Unless you do then you don't have an inkling what carers go through and it's insulting to say you do know

So nice to see rural carers won't be able to attend these 'major events' as usual.

I want to knwo when we are going to see some backbone from this so called voice of carers
Hi Lou,

Our Chief Executive is in exactly the same position as other staff at Carers UK in working to the mandate of Carers UK members, so does not personally endorse letters. Our members elected our Trustees who set our campaign objectives. Our members also passed a motion specifically setting out our campaign objective on Carer's Allowance.

Much of the content of the letter referred to echoes with what Carers Uk hears from carers.
Soem of the specific points about what needs to change in the letter are Carers UK policy, but some are not, but we certainly want to encourage debate.

with regard to what we are doing i replied earlier that Carers UK will shortly be publishing the results of what 3000 carers told us about the impact of caring on their finances to bring attention to this injustice.

Gavin
Hi, Gavin,

Many carers find it difficult to get to meetings at the best of times. I live in Norfolk and it would be impossible for me to get to London for a day. (Mum won't have any strangers looking after her.) Why are there no regional consultations in far-flung places like Norwich?

Also, I must admit I am rather cynical about these kinds of consultations and see them as a waste of time. In my experience, they are usually stage-managed with a panel of politicians who answer pre-selected questions - a bit like 'Question Time' - and there is little time for genuine debate. It's usually a question of just sitting and listening to the opinions of politicians and pre-selected speakers with, perhaps, a two-minute slot for comments from the floor. (Please forgive me if I am wrong in this instance.)

Having said that, I DID take part in a government consultation a few weeks ago. I had volunteered for this through the PRTC site. Two people from the DWP and a PR company have been travelling the country listening to carers over 50. They visited me in my own home and we were able to discuss a variety of issues on a one-to-two basis for several hours.

However, they have interviewed very few carers, and thousands of carers have never been given the opportunity to speak for themselves. This is the point behind the 'Letter' - to allow carers who otherwise would have no contact with 'officialdom' to make their own personal views known. The letter is designed as a template which can be sent as it is or adapted to suit individual opinion.

(I would add that it seems the 'New Deal' which Gordon Brown announced in February is NOT a 'new deal' because, generally speaking, it promised nothing that carers could not already access!)

Kind rgards,
Pysie