21 HOUR RULE ? CA : Eligibility / Studying / Developments : The Sole Thread ANYWHERE Dealing With This Abnomation !

Share your petitions or campaigns here.
66 posts
Day 19 ... nothing in from the NUS.

I'll give them until the 23rd. October ... one callender month ... before " Gently " approaching them again.

If we are to move forward , best done in collabration with them as opposed to flying solo through my local mp.

Feel free to add any comments ... after all , I will not gain anything from this Issue.

.... but hundreds of thousands of others just might !!!
Thanks to the Eye , another politician reaffirms his belief in education being a major priority :

As per our inhouse heckler for the previous incumberent :

" What about carers and students with caring duties being excluded , squire ? "
Just to record one comment from a CarerWatch blog , 2010 , I came across whilst searching the old archives on another issue ... always the way ?
Jayne Stevens Says:

16 October 2010 at 17:02 | Reply

I have a real-life issue with carers allowance right now, in the fact that my carers allowance has been stopped because I am attending a ‘full-time’ uni course which is in fact 11 hours taught (total 20 hours including homework as per tutor). Previous legislation considered full-time to be over 21 hours but when I rang to clarify last week was told that in the last week it had been changed and there was no definition of hours and CA would be stopped forthwith. My argument is that my caring responsibilities remain the same and when Im at Uni my son is at school and I do my homework at home to make sure I am always around if he needs me.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and if anyone has similar issues please contact me.

Jayne .... cold comfort some 7 years later but .... hundreds of thousands of students with caring duties / current carers needing to brush up / improve their educational prospects once the caring ends ... have also fallen victim to this abhorrent rule !!!
Copy of my email just sent to the NUS hierarchy :

Ladies ... a callender month since I was last in contact.

21 Hour Rule ?

Certainly hundreds if not low thousands now not enrolled
in further education courses which have recently commenced
in this year alone.

Even with the House seemingly otherwised engaged in dithering
over Brexit and the UC rollout , Social Care is waiting in the
wings ... and will be pushed forward as breaks in the system
become more apparent.

Then , a clear opening for carers to make their presence felt ...
through individual mps as opposed to anything else.

As an opener , two issues :

21 Hour Rule / Free Public Transport

You will be aware from past emails of the background to both.

The question ... are the NUS in or out when it comes to the
presenting both issues ... particularly the first as there is a clear
overlap of mutual interest.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Feel free to contact me for any further , or background ,
information.

Kindest

I will publish any reply ... identities removed to apprease the " Watchers. "

Still no news as to which mps will constitute the next All Party Carers Group ... now 4 months since the GE.

No doubt , the House's version of " Speed dating " has yet to take place ?
Still no reply from the NUS.

Okay , nothing ventured , nothing gained.

In line wth the Travel issue , little more I can do other than to diarise forward.

One shot at the most ... the timing is crucial !
Seek and ye shall find ?

Another potential player ... Learning and Work Institute ( L & W ) ... Guardian article back in 2015 ... recommendation to remove the 21 Hour Rule.

A copy of my email to them follows ... copies also to my two contacts at the NUS :

Hi ...

The abhorrent 21 hour rule which has blighted the lives of
thousands of student carers , and family carers , from seeking
further education ( Students ) and re-education / training ( Family )
to enhance future employment prospects.

Long thread on this very Issue on the Carers UK forum :

CUK : 21 Hour Rule thread

As I type , very much in limbo as the House continues
their pantomine with others issues ... very much a case
of timing ... future Carers Strategy timing unknown ....
probably moved up in the timetable if events force the
Government to act sooner than they anticipate.

Anything to add , or recommend , from your end ?

Kindest

Probably a dead end but ... no stone should be left unturned !!!!
Nothing from any source ... we really are on our own with this one ... no great surprise ???

There is support ... and there is support ?

We support ... who out there supports us ?

Too many white feathers around ... non combatants ... support ?

What do the late 60s card carrying students make of the silence on this issue from the NUS ?

Must be a few others amongst our ranks ... 6 million + ... a few hundred still left on here ?

In those days , a " Coup d'etat " within hours ???

A few might now be in our " Marvellous " care homes ?

" Time for bed , grannie. It's 7 o'clock , way past your bedtime. "

" Don't you grannie me. I was at Greenham Common you know ! "

" Sounds nice . Big house , lovely garden , nice view ? "

If that's typical of this Sad New World , should we just give up all hope ? ... which is exactly what the System wants us to do ?

" Know your place , and don't ever forget it ... we throw you enough scraps from our table as it is ... don't ask for anything more ! "

Not much difference from the days when there really was a Lord on one's manor ?

Diarise forward in line with the Travel thread ... a question of timing.
An interesting one ... a couple of the " Players " listed earlier joining forces ?

http://www.southwalesguardian.co.uk/new ... rent_laws/

Young carers team up to tackle current laws.

Young Adult Carers in Carmarthenshire have launched a national campaign to change the law in respect of the length of time a young carer can study and still receive Carers Allowance.

Current eligibility criteria for Carers Allowance states that a carer must provide 35 hours or more care per week, must not earn more than £110 per week and cannot be education, training or employment for more than 21 hours per week.

Carmarthenshire Young Adult Carers (YAC) have teamed up with the Carers Trust and Fixers organisation to launch a parliamentary petition to seek to change the 21 hour rule which it says discriminates against carers who wish to study to improve their employment prospects and to reach their full potential in life.

20-year-old Lucy Prentice recently attended an Ammanford Town Council meeting to discuss her involvement in the campaign.

Lucy, from Pencader, said: “When I was 11 my mother was rushed in to hospital.She had suffered a bleed on her brain.

“Ever since it’s caused a lot of mental issues such as severe anxiety, depression and she also suffers from memory issues as well.

“There are only two of us at home so she’s dependent on me now. I’ve got to be there to take her out shopping, to pay her bills.

“In the future I really want to work in animal care, but I feel as if the system’s going up against me.

“We need support and signatures to better our future.”

The campaign hopes to achieve 100,000 signatures for the debate to be held in Parliament.

Member of Parliament Jonathan Edwards, who attended the official launch, said: “We first have to remember that caring is not a uniform job in which every carer undertakes the same role. Caring comes in many forms and, depending on an individuals’ need, their carers may deliver around the clock care or work with professionals to share caring responsibilities.

“At the heart of this campaign is enabling young adult carers – those who selflessly help look after their loved ones – to study and improve their future employment prospects.

“Many carers and their families experience financial hardship due to an illness or disability within the family, so the current 21-hour rule increases the likelihood that a cycle of financial hardship will continue if young people aren’t able to get good education.

“I don’t doubt the current legislation was deliberately designed to save the state money, but the government must recognise that one small change to the law will better support young adult carers.

“I’m very proud to see young people in Carmarthenshire establishing a national campaign which seeks to make life better for young adults across the UK.

Softly , softly approach ... a petition ... doomed to failure ???

Missing the whole point of an UNITED front involving ALL players !!!

Still , another " Player " to add to the List.

The Players ?
NUS ... Contacted by me ( Student angle , carer angle secondary ... not exclusive ! )
Local mp ... Contacted by me
Other mps ... Awaiting on local mp to confirm contact
All Party Carers Group ... Awaiting on news as to being involved
Government ( Education Minister ) ... Unknown but would be involved at some stage
Carers Day in the House ... First goal , awaiting news from local mp
NUS ( Wales ) ... Contact with Welsh Government / Education Minister
Carers UK ( Wales ) ... Involved somewhere with Wales
Welsh Government ... Contacted by NUS ( Wales )
NUS ( Scotland ) ... Campaign with Scottish Government ( 21 Hour Rule unlikely )
Scottish Government ... Contacted by NUS ( Scotland )
Carers Trust ... Putting their nose in Scotland ( NO mention of the 21 Hour Rule ... as can be expected ! )
.... and now Carers Trust ( Wales )
Learning and Work Institute ?

Timing STILL not right ... Brexit is acting as a curse for any other matters , including the continuing meltdown in the NHS and social care.

After all , what takes priority over preservation of wealth and power ??????????
Unusual article BUT ... may provide some background as to why we have not heard from the NUS.

Especially important as they would have been the standard bearer for this issue ... which affects family carers as much as would be students !

https://www.morningstaronline.co.uk/art ... 0the%20nus

Leftwingers decry the ‘total lack of transparency’ in the NUS.

LEFTWINGERS condemned a “total lack of transparency” in the National Union of Students (NUS) today, as the organisation’s annual conference came to a close.

The three-day gathering saw the re-election of a number of candidates backed by the organised right wing of the NUS, including incumbent president Shakira Martin.

The only leftwinger to win a key position was vice-president for union development Ali Milani, another re-elected incumbent.

Tensions between the union’s factions peaked yesterday afternoon, when scores of activists occupied the stage at the SEC Armadillo conference centre in Glasgow.

The activists were protesting at the refusal of conference organisers to allow extra time to debate motions.

Among the motions dropped from the agenda were calls for abortion rights in Northern Ireland — where the pregnancy terminations remain illegal — and the decriminalisation of sex work.

Supporters of the occupation said it indicated a wider discontent with the culture of the organisation.

Hope Worsdale, a student activist at the University of Warwick, said: “As well as showing crucial solidarity with sex workers and women in Northern Ireland, the stage occupation clearly demonstrated widespread dissatisfaction with how NUS is run.”

She said students were “fed up” with NUS chiefs making decisions “behind closed doors, with a total lack of transparency,” and described the leaders as “irrelevant and unaccountable.”

Following the occupation, the conference was temporarily suspended, with officials reportedly citing health and safety concerns.

Ms Martin, who was once associated with the student left, was supported by rightwingers when she ousted Malia Bouattia as NUS president last year.

Since then, she has led the union through a turbulent period, including allegations of bullying at NUS headquarters that she denied.

The NUS has expressed support for the recent lecturers’ strikes over pensions, but leftwingers say the organisation has failed to offer meaningful solidarity.

Ms Worsdale added: “The left must unite to reclaim NUS and transform it into a radical, democratic, grassroots organisation.

“The student movement is advancing beneath NUS’s feet. National conference is currently totally disconnected from what’s going on at a campus level and this must change.”

Some elements in the above article certainly strike a chord when it comes to our own supporting organisations ?

After all , if the members are NOT being heard , what's the point of being a member ?

For the NUS hierachy , one question ... Why are they silent on this issue which has affected HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of student and family carers over the years ?????????

Diarise forward until such time as the Carers' ( Non ) Strategy is rumoured to be on the House's radar.
Following Shakira's reelection as NUS president , a copy of my email to her follows :

Second Term ... Congratulations ... Or Should That Be Commiserations ?

Hi Shakira.

Whatever ... time to rerevisit the 21 Hour Rule witch precludes thousands
of student and family carers from seeking to better their education prospects ?

Carers Strategy is due this summer ... possibly part of the Social Care Green Paper
.... and it is ESSENTIAL that we get this Issue on the agenda.

If not , a whole generation may pass before this abhorrent rule is challenged again.

Running thread on the Carers UK forum ... link follows ... now down to a crawl as
all likely allies in this have remained silent ... NUS as well :

https://www.carersuk.org/forum/news-and ... ents-29098

On behalf of the family carer army ... a mere 6.5 million or so ... PLEASE have a read
( No prisoners have been taken ) or , at least , have one of your " Minions " take this
Issue on board.

How many potential students have fallen foul of this Rule ?

If not for family carers , do it for them ... and the thousands that follow.

Feel free to contact me at anytime.

There are limits to what a former 24/7 , lone , carer can achieve !

Diarise forward ... in the hope that , at long last , I can move this Issue forward !!!
66 posts