[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Updated: how to send / receive PMs - Carers UK Forum

Updated: how to send / receive PMs

Includes forum rules and technical help.
To send a PM ( private message)

1) click on a members name - takes you to their profile page and then you can click on 'Contact (their name)" which takes you to the PM section. The person to whom you are sending the pm to name appears under the 'Add Recipients' box in the "Recipients" section. This gives you a new pm to which you need to add a subject and then type your message and click on Submit in the usual way.

2) click on the 'Speech bubble' icon under the members username/avatar in the panel to the right of their message. This will bring up the pm section with the message you are replying to shown in quotes in the message box and using the title of the original topic. You can either reply at the bottom of their message are delete it and just type your reply and click on submit in the usual way.

3) Click on the Private Message tab at the top of the page on the righthand side of the grey banner. Click on 'New PM'. Now you will have to "Add Recipient" - type the members username EXACTLY as it appears in any of their messages, then click on "Add". If you mistype their username it will tell you the user doesn't exist. Then add a subject and then type your message and click on Submit in the usual way.

To check for PMs
Click on the Private Message tab at the top of the page on the righthand side of the grey banner. Click on any messages listed to read them. Once you gave received 200 messages, you will have to delete some before others can be released into your inbox.

You can set up notifications to alert you to PMs via your User Control Panel.
Dear Melly

My emails stay in the outbox and I cannot get them to go through. A lady I message most days is getting worried that I have not replied to her. I do not know how to correct this? I have to say that I am not the most technical person around but have been using this system happily for a while. My inbox is not up to capacity.

I am happy to give you and/or the lady I message my personal email but do not want to have it displayed for everyone to see.

Best wishes

Helena
Hi Helena

I've emailed you instructions on how to change your PM settings.

For anyone else reading this.............................

If your sent messages are being held back or you are not receiving messages then check your PM settings in your User Control Panel (the "folders" there only store 200 messages)

You can reset your private message options to automatically delete the oldest message when a new one arrives and to automatically delete the oldest Outbox message when you send a new one.

1)Go to your "User Control Panel" (click on the red icon with your username - top right hand corner; it's under the login icon in the little menu

2) Then click on "Private Messages" and click on "Rules, folders and settings" in the left hand menu

Once there click on "Delete oldest messages" and then click on "change" at the bottom of the page - the system will then automatically delete the oldest message in your inbox/outbox when a new one comes in.

If you have a number of messages waiting transmission in either folder you can delete a number of old ones at one time.

1) go to your Inbox and/or Outbox
2) down the right hand side you will see check boxes
3) click in the box against the ones you want to delete
3) go to the bottom of the page to the box that says "Mark/unmark as important" - click there and you'll get another little menu.
4) Click on "Delete marked" and then click "Go" - it will ask you if you are sure, click "yes" and it's done