[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Help! I keep getting logged out of the forum - Page 3 - Carers UK Forum

Help! I keep getting logged out of the forum

Includes forum rules and technical help.
Woo hoo! Actually got a post up before I got bumped out...again! lol
Maybe the new site just isn't fully compatible with firefox usually my browser of choice!
Or maybe there is a rottweiler (me) standing behind you Image
Woo hoo! Actually got a post up before I got bumped out...again! lol
Maybe the new site just isn't fully compatible with firefox usually my browser of choice!
Sorry, I dont think thats whats wrong - Im using firefox and havent had any problems
Back in with I.E. I definately can't access with Firefox - very annoying funny how its different for crocus - very confusing.
I'll have to sort it out as all my other contacts,shortcuts etc. are all with /firefox and I don't really like I.Explorer much anymore!

Never mind, I'll kick about here for a while, have a wee read...and then bump back off to Firefox!
((hugs))
Marie x
Hi,
I have Firefox to marie, but had to clean everything cookies , cache, etc to get
on. took a while.
Minnie Image
I have been watching this thread with interest but have refrained from posting any offer of help because Lucy posted exactly what needs to be done to solve the problem.

However, if I may, as an experienced phpBB user, I'd like to offer an explanation for the reason behind the problem, because a few people appear to have criticised the forum software and the CarersUK team for "cocking things up".
As has been said elsewhere on the forum, the reason the forum software was upgraded was because there was an upgrade release issued. Why upgrade? Because it protects YOU and your beloved forum from hackers and spammers. Over time, hackers manage to develop ways to infiltrate the code the forum software uses, finding loopholes in the code to exploit. When these loopholes are discovered, updates are provided for protection against such exploits. Therefore it is imperative that forum software upgrades are performed.

A side effect of such major upgrades can affect users (members) if there is a) a change in log-in storage details (cookies) or b) there is a change in the way cookies are handled. Cookies are not the chocolate chip variety you eat but a computer term used to describe the storage, on your own machine, of information pertaining to a particular website or web page for easy reference/access for when returning to the same website/web page. For this reason, clearing your cookies (and sometimes your cache too) will solve the problem.

I can confirm that this forum software IS compatible with Firefox (Direpox LOL) and in fact all other major browsers so there is NOTHING wrong with the forum software, the forum or the upgrade. The problem rests with YOU, the member, if you ARE having problems of course.

Please follow Lucy's instructions in the OP and in particular, the link to the WikiHow for clearing browsers cookies (for Firefox - http://www.wikihow.com/Clear-Your-Brows ... es#Firefox ) But before you attempt to clear your cookies, please remember to CLOSE any open web pages, especially CarersUK, first.

If you are STILL having problems then I recommend that you download and install a program called CCleaner (otherwise known, seriously, as Crap Cleaner) http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/standard and run it. It will not only clean out your, erm... crap (including cookies, cache) but make your computer run a bit faster (because it has cleaned out the erm.... crap!)

If anyone has problems with CCleaner and wishes to try it and use it to it's full potential, let me know and maybe I'll write a tutorial for it, including screenshots to guide you.

I said Maybe! Image
Hi,
Very good info Gary, I think the forum is protecting it's members too, but
a lot of our pals our stranded and cant get back on.
I use CCleaner too, to clean the rubbish, very good advice.
Minnie Image
....buta lot of our pals our stranded and cant get back on.
I do sympathise but if members were to carefully follow the simple instructions, I'm sure they could soon be back in a jiffy.

Failing that, those who are using Firefox (which I hate) and really hate Internet Explorer (I don't blame them) have you considered trying another browser such as Opera Browser?
http://www.opera.com/download/
Very interesting gary. I always use ccleaner at the end of every day, so maybe thats why I havent had any problems.
Sorry that people are still having trouble logging in, but Gary has summed it up - we have to upgrade the forum every once and a while to prevent viruses and bugs. When we've done this before, it hasn't caused this problem so we didn't anticipate it this time! It's nothing to do with the other changes like making areas private or renaming sections, it's a separate issue that we just happened to do at the same time.

The solution is to follow the instructions posted here: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=19883#p217292

If anyone has any trouble doing this though, please email me on lucy.tully@carersuk.org and let me know what browser you are using. I will then send you step by step instructions suited to your browser.

Unfortunately, it's something that we can't 'fix' from our end, as Gary explained (thank you!).

We are very sorry for the disruption, but upgrading the forum is essential to protect it from viruses. We are available to help you follow the instructions if need be - just get in touch Image Really don't like the thought of people being unable to log in Image

Lucy
I'm on IE and I use CCleaner............amongst other things.