[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Your evidence needed: discrimination as a carer - Page 3 - Carers UK Forum

Your evidence needed: discrimination as a carer

Take part in research or give your opinion in a survey.
It annoys me that the same old mis-informed rubbish is still being circulated on this CUK Board.
I was at a Carers Meeting last week when a new member turned up; she told us that she couldn't get a Carers Assessment as her father refused to have any involvement of Social Services. We soon put her right.
What infuriated me was that she had seen this information on THIS BOARD.
I must confess that this is one of my concerns when I read this sort of thing, we all get things wrong sometimes and I hope that people will correct me when I do. People new to caring who may join or may just read the board could leave thinking that they are only entitled to an assessment if their caree agrees and this is not the case. Knowing your rights is always important and it is all too easy to be put off when you are new to caring and having to find your way round various systems so having the correct information from the beginning is particularly important.
It annoys me that the same old mis-informed rubbish is still being circulated on this CUK Board. I was at a Carers Meeting last week when a new member turned up; she told us that she couldn't get a Carers Assessment as her father refused to have any involvement of Social Services. We soon put her right.
What infuriated me was that she had seen this information on THIS BOARD.
Hi Sandie

I'm sorry this happened but I don't think it's fair to blame Carers UK. If you read above you'll see the Parsifal has been quick to correct. I know it has been stated on this Board before, as Butterfly has just done, that carers can't get help if the person doesn't consent, but we ALWAYS point out that this myth is simply not true. I feel the person at your meeting had read one comment but not read the rest of the thread.

Carers UK lobbied, campaigned and was responsible for the right to have an assessment. We would not be telling people otherwise, when we all worked so hard to get the right!

Carer CAN get services in their own right, without the consent of the person of they care for. Although whether social services will provide those services is a different issue but the right is there.

I think this is a reminder to us all that the forum is a place for discussion and whilst it has proved so useful again and again in sharing information, it is not a definitive place to get factual information. It is important to read all the thread and see what others are saying, but even then we cannot guarantee it will always be factually correct. We correct things when we see things are wrong but the forum is read by me, Chris and Gavin - none of us are qualified benefits or social care advisors.

When people join the forum the registration page makes clear
Carers UK staff cannot give advice through the forum. Giving good quality and accurate sound advice depends on getting a full picture of your personal circumstances and Carers UK cannot do this on the forum.

Carers UK does not warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message posted in the forum and is not responsible for the contents of any message. The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of Carers UK.
The definitive place for information on this website is http://www.carersuk.org/Information

Best wishes

Matt
I apologise sincerly if anyone has been misinformed because of any of my posts.
I spoke only of my own circumstances.
Yes there is a lot of help for carers, I am unable to access it but it is there . I encourage everyone to seek help. Carers centres have a lot to offer carers who can attend, and even if they cant attend, they have a lot of valuable information to give to carers. And they will do their best to help carers.
The CUK helpline has fully trained staff who will do their best to help carers if they need help or advice.
I hope this clarifies things.
Best wishes
butterfly.
It needs to be made clear that attendance at a Carers Centre has nothing to do with the Statutory Right to a Carers Assessment. Indeed a Carers Centre has nothing at all to do with the process.
Regardless of circumstances, all Carers have this Right.
It may be that the care required is insufficient for the Local Authority to award any assistance to the Carer, as this will depend upon the assessment along the lines of Critical/Moderate/Low. Those with Critical needs will obviously be granted more help, whilst those requiring only Low rates of care will often not be granted anything.
The involvement of the Cared For person does not come into it. It is the needs of the Carer which are being addressed.
Thank you for your response Matt. I find it so frustrating (and sad) when people are struggling desperately with their lot in life, when there is help out there for those who need it.