[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
WHY I LEFT CARERS FORUM FOR A YEAR - Carers UK Forum

WHY I LEFT CARERS FORUM FOR A YEAR

Take part in research or give your opinion in a survey.
TOPICS NO LONGER WERE GOOGLED.I DONT KNOW WHETHER THIS WAS CARERS UK POLOCY OR GOOGLE POLICY,WHATEVER IT WAS BAD.CARERS JOBS ARE GETTING HARDER AS SERVICES SHRINK.WE NEED TO MAKE OURSELVES MORE VISIBLE.I HAVE RECENTLY BECOME A CARER FOR A PATIENT WITH A STOMA.HOSPITAL ADVICE ON DISCHARGE OFTEN WRONG AND OPTIMISTIC-EXPERIENCE SAYS OTHERWISE.AFTERCARE' IN THE COMMUNITY VIRTUALLY DOESN'T EXIST.WITH PREVIOUS DECADES OF EXPERIENCE IN MENTAL HEALTH I'M ON A STEEP LEARNING CURVE.AMBULANCE CALLED TWICE BUT DIDNT COME UNTIL CALL ASSESOR PHONED PATIENT.IS THIS ACTUALLY LEGAL?
I've just checked, and I think you are right.
The owners of any website or forum can refuse entry to Google for all kinds of reasons, including preivacy, but it might also be counter-productive by denying searchers the ability to obtain useful information.
I'd appreciate an informed discussion on this - is Google banned, and if so why?
Interesting: you can google the forum, but googling a topic name won't do it. This is just a guess - and probably wildly out - but I suppose it's because some of the topics are blocked for members only: it may be that to retain that privacy means none of the topics can be googled or people might get in via a back door?
Its strange indeed, and worth asking. I mean, if I am having problems with some obscure software issue, there is almost always a forum dedicated to downloading drivers for legacy versions of Winmac 3 O/S or whatever, so why isnt this forum routinely crawled by the bots?
Although the bots are a good idea for getting information seen by many, it depends on exactly what the forum in itself is used for since we all know that the internet is used to deal with a whole host of sensitive issues.

In this case, we know that we are a bunch of carers who look after people with a wide range of disabilities. Now, these disabilities can mesh together to create a person. Some people end up more vulnerable than others as a result of this.

Personally, I think I'd stop using this forum if the bots were allowed to crawl it.

My reasonings for this is the loss of privacy - I tend to post a lot of personal stuff in this forum and this is stuff that I wouldn't usually talk about elsewhere out of fear that I could be identified. If this was to happen, I'd never rest wondering id anyone would use this information to harm us in some way.
Well, thats funny Beck, because the link you use on your own footer leads to some very sensitive material - delicate yes, but incredibly valuable. Anyone can join here. It seems to me the best assumption to make is that everything we write online will potentially be on the front page of the Sunday Times/Sun/ etc...
Yes, I have chosen to make some very personal information public, but that is the point, I've CHOSEN to do it of my own free will without having bots trawling through my head and picking out all of the "juicy bits" to publish on google and who knows where else for all to see and help themselves to in order to create a fantasy life of their own.

You'll also note that I very seldom use images of my caree's when I write... more often than not, my images are images that I've found on flickr rather than images from my own personal library - although I do have a few of my own recently.

There is information that I have talked about on here that I wouldn't write about anywhere else (like the more personal aspect of trying for a family and the time I was slapped by my mother for example) and there is yet more I'd like to share... but I guess I won't get to if you want the bots crawling through here.

Although it's not strictly related to caring, it has come to my attention over the past couple of days that people have been stealing pictures from facebook groups and crafting a fantasy life out of them which they then use elsewhere. This is so bad that people are now being asked to remove and watermark their images before they re-upload them - which is fine for those who know how to watermark their images but not so good for those who don't.

Considering that you yourself have uploaded un-watermarked images here on CUK, I'm surprised that you now want the bots to trawl the boards and have access to your caree and what he looks like which could place him in harm's way for the undesirables of society.
Who, me?
My son trains every week at a boxing gym, he's compact and muscular: nobody messses with him. And he has a lot of mates: anyone touches him and they will be pulped in this former mining community where people look after "their ane folk" .
I'm not a big fan of secrets or privacy, but I can understand why some people are. My son's picture has been the very positive and public face of Downs Syndrome on Wikipedia for eight years - "Down_syndrome has been viewed 600162 times in the last 90 days". (the file also links to dozens of other articles, so it has been seen several million times in total: this is probably the most viewed image of a person with Down's Syndrome anywhere on the net)
Sure the picture has taken some abuse over the years, (mainly because of the goofy home-made haircut!) but then, in some ways I'd rather the haters got the chance to vent their spleen against disabled people in public so we can start to figure out the size and nature of the hate-problem, and how to start to tackle it. It has to be down to public education, backed up with some sanctions against serial offenders perhaps, of which the most effective is peer-disapproval. See also: http://thestir.cafemom.com/big_kid/1366 ... tos_of_boy

There are more ways that you can hurt someone without being physically harmful - such as finding that your images have been stolen and are now on an online memorial site with a different name to them or that they are now illustrating A.N Other's work quite nicely (thank you very much) and all the texts accompanying your pictures are things that you disagree with.

It's also worth noting that not all communities are like yours - especially in the bigger cities where neighbours change regularly and gangs exist... we do well to know those who live next door - never mind those who live at the end of the street. I personally hear disabled people referred to in a insulting manner on a weekly basis in my community - and I sure as eggs don't want it on here as well.

I've never hidden the fact that I've provided care for 4 vulnerable people in my time as a carer - and these are people who would be left open to all sorts of exploitation if they were to be recognised by anyone - purely because they don't recognise who is genuinely a nice person and who is a scam artist... they have and will hand over sensitive information when asked because they don't like to say "No" or "I'm not interested". I can only do my best to keep them safe though because I have to sleep sometimes.