[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Warning! Caring can seriously damage your health and wealth! - Carers UK Forum

Warning! Caring can seriously damage your health and wealth!

Take part in research or give your opinion in a survey.
Those are the findings of a new survey to be published by charity Gateshead Carers Association (GCA.)
The Gateshead Carers Survey shows:
• Caring has a major impact on household finances (44 per cent of carers surveyed said they are worse off as a result of caring responsibilities)
• Caring has a major impact on carers’ health (48 per cent of carers say their caring role has made their health worse in the past year)
• Caring has a major impact on the quality of the carers’ life (68 per cent of those surveyed said that caring has meant that they have had to give up some aspects of their life such as a social life)
To make matters worse, the survey reveals that many carers are not aware of the support services available to them.
Of those surveyed, 50 per cent of carers are not aware of the Carers’ Assessment and 66 per cent had not had one.
A further 49 per cent do not have emergency plans in place for the person, for whom they care, and 57 per cent are not aware of personal budgets.
Most carers, who took part in the survey, cared for a loved one for more than 100 hours per week.
Many more carers have had to seek information and advice from charities such as GCA to guide them around the maze of services and benefits to find out what support they can claim when they become carers.
Steve Cowen, GCA Chief Officer, said: “The results of the survey bear out what carers have told us about their lives on a daily basis.
“The survey doesn’t make for light reading but it does strengthen the case of carers, in Gateshead.
“The information will be used in future campaigning work to make sure carers’ voices are heard and fight for a better deal.”
There are an estimated 25,000 carers in Gateshead, who provide approximately £1,800-worth of care each per week.
That amounts to £45 million-worth of care provided free by carers in Gateshead every week.
In total the UK’s 6.4 million unpaid carers save the Government £119 billion a year. That equates to far more than that cost of running the entire National Health Service.
The survey will be launched to coincide with this year’s Carers Week.
Caring can seriously damage your health and wealth!
It's nationwide and we all know it...................shame the powers that be don't!
Just found this thread and soooo agree with it! My earnings dropped by half but expenditure seemed to go up! I'm sick of the first question any of the professionals ask "Does your mother get Attendance Allowance?" when I say yes you can see the £ sign come up in their eyes. AA is seen as some sort of cash cow to the powers that be! Well I've news for them Mam's AA is looked on as my benefit package by the DWP! So get your paws off it!

Holidays - forget it! When I was working I couldn't have a holiday because my leave allowance was spent waiting in for "professionals" to turn up, or more often "not turn up". Now that I'm no longer working I can't afford a holiday.
There are an estimated 25,000 carers in Gateshead, who provide approximately £1,800-worth of care each per week.
So carers are worth approx £8,000 per month, or approx £100,000 per annum?

Great stuff for newspaper headlines, but I would shoot the accountant who dreamed this up.