[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Systems of support for mental health carers - Carers UK Forum

Systems of support for mental health carers

Take part in research or give your opinion in a survey.
Hi,

My name is Anna Booth and I am a research assistant working on a project called REACT (Relatives' Education and Coping Toolkit). We are putting together a supported self-management toolkit for carers of people with recent-onset psychosis. The hope is that this toolkit can be offered to carers for them to work through in their own time with occasional support from a carer support worker. It should be a package that provides carers with information and helps to reduce their distress.

I would be grateful to hear the opinions of people who have experienced similar support systems before. Alternatively, are there alternative methods of support that you have received that you found particularly helpful/unhelpful?

Many thanks for your help,
Anna
At last!

One thing I'd like to see included is something, in plain English, saying the following:
1) What carers and others living with the person need to avoid doing (in order not to make the condition worse);
2) What can be done to help the person as well as what can be done to help the person help him/herself;
3) What to expect (side effects etc) from any medication or other treatment, how to cope with this, and how long this may last;
4) Who to contact if there's an emergency or sudden worsening;
5) Who to contact when it's not an emergency, but the carer is worried or unclear about something.
wow would have been nice to have been offered something like this- have been dealing with pyschosis for past few months and got no help for me- he got some help in the end as it was so bad nearly had to go back to hospital. good luck with this1
Nobody appears to believe Carers anyway.I echo what goose has said. My situation only eased when I reached breaking point, but my son is not even being treated anymore, as he says he can manage, even after the latest emergency admission for problems brought on by mental illness.

I have done lots of research on the net,and presented evidence to the Mental Health Team, which included a basic timeline of his life,but that was put to one side. I believe we will find my son dead one day, when not even the side effects of his medication were addressed after one emergency admission.

I have been told by varying people in our county, who have relatives with mental health problems that they believe the same as me, Carers are NOT listened to, even though all literature on the subject advises Drs to listen and note what relatives say and notice.

Good luck.
Well said Daisy.