SOME ADVICE PLEASE

Take part in research or give your opinion in a survey.
My father in law has Alzheimers and my mother in law finds going away on holiday now rather difficult. I therefore looked on the internet for somewhere for them to go away with support. The only place I came across was Vitalise. I have booked them into an Alzheimer's Week in October.

I started to look into whether I could set something up on a smaller scale. I have done alot of research, found a property and now want to know whether any one would come and stay before I make that final plunge. Many people have told me it is a much needed service but I need people to start knocking on my door!!

I am working at the moment as a Practice Nurse.

I am hoping to offer a sitting service if needed, as well as accompanied or unaccompanied trips out. I would take a maximum of 4 couples at a time. They could stay upto a week at a time.

I would like to find out if you think there is a demand for this sort of care and support.
CSCI have told me i would not need to be registered

Any advice you can give me would be much appreciated. Image
I really want to do something to help carers and sufferers of dementia and I am wanting to open a guest house specifically for people to come and stay and get some support while they are on holiday. I am a nurse and having been in touch with the Alzheimers Society ,Age Concern and local carers I understand this is a service not provided for.
I would really appreciate getting some feed back as to whether you think I am doing the right thing.
Has any one been to Vitalise? I can't seem to find anything else like it.
My father in law has Alzheimers and his wife has given up going on holiday as its too difficult. Need it be??
In anticipation of your replies.
Sallie
Hi Sallie,

Whether you are doing the right thing is something only you yourself will be able to tell.I have no idea of regulations etc when you set something like this up.

However,if you google...."respite holidays for disabled people",it will give you further information about what is already in place.When I googled it, there was something in the region of 150,000 + results....a lot of reading material for you... Image.

Also try....."holidays for alzheimer's "..just make sure you tick pages from the UK.

Whatever you decide,good Luck.

Rosemary
There a few things that might help with your research on our links page

#The Kiloran Trust is an organisation that runs a large house in west London where carers from across the UK can go for a holiday / supportive break
# Holiday Care Holiday and travel information for disabled and older people.
# Holiday Homes for the Handicapped A charity providing holiday accommodation for disabled people.
# Disabled Access Holidays features holiday destinations that are suitable for disabled travellers in a number of different countries.

All the relevent links are here -
http://www.carersuk.org/Information/Fin ... anisations

PS _ Moving post to the requests/consultations area
Thank you for your advice. I still think however most places are geared for disabled people, respite care for sufferers or just for carers. I am aiming to have both carer and sufferer. I have spoken to Kiloran trust. A very helpful gentleman. Yes it is upto me at the end of the day. I am able to offer accomadation in my own home for the time being without being registered. I have spoken to CSCI and they say I do not need to be registered.
Why would you have a problem with being registered? As a carer, I would like to know that I could take a break in this kind of holiday, and that you would be able to provide that kind of support....
Hi Sallie, I think this is absolutely fantastic that you want to start something like this up. I've been mulling around with the idea for a few weeks and will probably keep doing it for a while. I work as a home help and a lot of the time some of my clients say they'd love to go somewhere for a few days. Your first one will be a learning curve as you'll maybe say you should have done this or that differently but everyone needs a break, so you go for it.
Hi Sallie, I think this is absolutely fantastic that you want to start something like this up. I've been mulling around with the idea for a few weeks and will probably keep doing it for a while. I work as a home help and a lot of the time some of my clients say they'd love to go somewhere for a few days. Your first one will be a learning curve as you'll maybe say you should have done this or that differently but everyone needs a break, so you go for it.
Thank you for those words of encouragement. What I really feel I need is a partner, someone who is much more experienced in dementia than I am. I am doing it from my own home for now so if you want any brochures let me know and i will send you some.
Thank you for those words of encouragement. What I really feel I need is a partner, someone who is much more experienced in dementia than I am. I am doing it from my own home for now so if you want any brochures let me know and i will send you some.
For something like this I would also recommend a partner but make sure it's someone who pulls their weight and who you can count on 100%. I'm quite pally with an outreach worker for alzheimers and I'm sure he could provide useful info if needed. I've got to go back to work now but I'll pm you later.
I have set up a web site and I am going for it!! Image
I would be interested to know what you think about the web site. It still needs work doing to it but it is a start.
http://www.dementiaguesthousecare.co.uk