[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
New research question - abuse on Carers Online Forums - Carers UK Forum

New research question - abuse on Carers Online Forums

Take part in research or give your opinion in a survey.
Hi folks: your help is needed!
I am carrying out some research and would be interested to know if you agree with these standard terms and conditions for Carers forums, and whether you have ever found any that are in your view, in systematic breach of them:
While the administrators and moderators of this forum will attempt to remove or edit any generally objectionable material as quickly as possible, it is impossible to review every message. Therefore you acknowledge that all posts made to these forums express the views and opinions of the author and not the administrators, moderators or webmaster (except for posts by these people) and hence will not be held liable.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time should they see fit. As a user you agree to any information you have entered above being stored in a database. While this information will not be disclosed to any third party without your consent the webmaster, administrator and moderators cannot be held responsible for any hacking attempt that may lead to the data being compromised.

This forum system uses cookies to store information on your local computer. These cookies do not contain any of the information you have entered above; they serve only to improve your viewing pleasure. The e-mail address is used only for confirming your registration details and password (and for sending new passwords should you forget your current one).

By clicking Register below you agree to be bound by these conditions.
If you feel that you have ever been abused online by forum administrators or members, and that your concerns have not been addressed, then please PM me and let me know.
Are we talking about the type of abuse you used to dish out when you posted under your own name as Rob Kay or when you started your own board and posted as God??

Personally I have only had abuse on this board from the same person who seems to make a habit of it if anybody doesn't follow his line of thinking.

As that person has been allowed to start posting on here again I will in future stick to the independent boards which are mostly free of abuse.

Regards Ken
As that person has been allowed to start posting on here again I will in future stick to the independent boards which are mostly free of abuse.

Regards Ken

I thought that person had been banned from this forum.
No, i have never been banned, i was suspended.

Tony
As you may all remember, Tony was suspended. Suspension is now over.

The rules over respect to all other members still apply to all of us.

Ken - I don't understand your comment about "independent" boards? Independent of what/whom?
As you may all remember, Tony was suspended. Suspension is now over.

The rules over respect to all other members still apply to all of us.

Ken - I don't understand your comment about "independent" boards? Independent of what/whom?
I would have thought Independent referred to Boards that were not controlled by established Carers organisations - like Indie record labels for example? Clearly they all take different editorial lines when it comes to defining and dealing with abusive posts, and most experienced contributors have fallen foul of the censors at one time or another, some inadvertently, some flagrantly and some just because they were pushing out the boat a bit. My own board was started partly because it published information that (whilst probably not actually libelous because it was based on published sources) - wasn't permissible on this site; partly because some people were pretending that setting up a board was a big project and took months and months of hard work, neither of which statements are true, but also of course because it was fun and this board was going through a rather stuffy phase.
Are we talking about the type of abuse you used to dish out when you posted under your own name as Rob Kay or when you started your own board and posted as God??

Regards Ken
Well, I'm not going to let that go, nor would you expect me to !!
I don't think that complaining about appalling sloppy spelling constitutes abuse, but then we all define abuse in our own way, don't we? As for posting as GOD, (with a picture of a DOG attached to the profile), that was itself both a spelling joke and an obvious jibe at folk running other Boards who claim semi-divine status and have an inflated sense of their own importance, but of course some folk just have a sense of humour bypass, don't they Ken? Image
Actually, your board was very disturbing to read, had no information that was helpful to carers and if it was meant to be humourous, did not come across that way.

Sorry, but that was the way it came across.
[quote]Hi folks]

(I have cut out the rules/conditions listed in Excalibur's original post) Please note that Excalibur has asked that people PM him about their own experiences. This of course can include any experiences carers have had of this or any other site - including Excalibur's, I shouldn't wonder. I would ask that the respect rule be applied, even in a PM, of course! Image

I'm sure that most of us have come across forums such as those described by Excalibur. There are enough of them out there. Image
Since posting this thread, I have been called or accused of being - in other places:
A Prat
A tosser
A mind-numbing hypocrite
Squealing like a little girl
A patronising prat
THE TOSSER
You know, I think I am tempted to wonder whether people using this kind of language are really carers as we know the word at all, or whether we need to invent a new word in the English lexicon......perhaps "anti-carer" - does anyone else have any other suggestions? (legal ones please!) Furthermore, does anyone have any ideas about how to deal with them...preferably terminally and with extreme prejudice. Image