Money survey for parents of disabled children

Take part in research or give your opinion in a survey.
This in from Contact a Family - the charity for parent carers.

[quote]Counting the Costs – how are your finances in 2010?

Finances can be a major concern for families with disabled children.

In 2008 Contact a Family asked families about their finances and the results were shocking, with one in six families reporting that they were going without food and heating.

Now, two years on, we would like to ask families about their finances again so that we are able to demonstrate if and how things have changed. There is a lot of talk that the economy has turned a corner and things are beginning to improve. But we would like to know what the experience of families with disabled children is.

Counting the Costs 2010 – a Contact a Family survey of families with disabled children’s finances will hep us to raise awareness of the money worries specific to the families we support and to campaign for change.

Srabani Sen, Chief Executive of Contact a Family, said: “In these recent turbulent economic times everyone has been struggling. But it costs three times more to raise a child with a disability and families with caring responsibilities have greater difficulty working, so are more likely to be living in poverty.

â€
[quote]This in from Contact a Family - the charity for parent carers.

[quote]Counting the Costs – how are your finances in 2010?

Finances can be a major concern for families with disabled children.

In 2008 Contact a Family asked families about their finances and the results were shocking, with one in six families reporting that they were going without food and heating.

Now, two years on, we would like to ask families about their finances again so that we are able to demonstrate if and how things have changed. There is a lot of talk that the economy has turned a corner and things are beginning to improve. But we would like to know what the experience of families with disabled children is.

Counting the Costs 2010 – a Contact a Family survey of families with disabled children’s finances will hep us to raise awareness of the money worries specific to the families we support and to campaign for change.

Srabani Sen, Chief Executive of Contact a Family, said: “In these recent turbulent economic times everyone has been struggling. But it costs three times more to raise a child with a disability and families with caring responsibilities have greater difficulty working, so are more likely to be living in poverty.

â€
Turns out the survey is now closed.
My post was in Feb so not surprised it's now over. I'll try in future to make sure I put closing date on the post itself.
The survey results are here: Contact a Family

Key findings include:

•Almost a quarter are going without heating (23%). Up from 16% in 2008.
•One in seven (14%) are going without food. Down from 16% in 2008.
•More than half have borrowed money from family or friends (51%) to keep financially afloat or pay for essentials, such as food and heating. Up from 42% in 2008.
•More than 40% have applied for a charity grant. Up from 25% in 2008.
•Almost three quarters (73%) are going without days out and leisure time with the family. Up from 55% in 2008.

Interesting findings given the current political climate.
The survey results are here]Contact a Family[/url]

Key findings include:

•Almost a quarter are going without heating (23%). Up from 16% in 2008.
•One in seven (14%) are going without food. Down from 16% in 2008.
•More than half have borrowed money from family or friends (51%) to keep financially afloat or pay for essentials, such as food and heating. Up from 42% in 2008.
•More than 40% have applied for a charity grant. Up from 25% in 2008.
•Almost three quarters (73%) are going without days out and leisure time with the family. Up from 55% in 2008.

Interesting findings given the current political climate.

And they are talking about cutting back carer benefits?! What more do they expect out of us.
Its alarming, but the methodology is deeply flawed, because it isnt a random sample. The folk taking part are highly motivated self-selected carer-activists who know fine well that this isnt about social science, its about politics.
Good campaigning if you want a quick and dirty tabloid headline, poor science if you want to understand the real picture. The combined impact of Child and Working tax credits on ordinary families with children with disabilities has been transformational, in my own observation.

Suggested tabloid headline: In The Red: Hot Child Carers - Who Pays The Pauper?
(with picture of cute momma looking sad, ideally wearing stockings and suspenders)
You can argue the same for CUK reports, Excalibur, or any other charity. For that matter, most Green Papers use selective methodology to push a particular agenda.

I'm sure any suggestions on methodology would be welcome.

Re:

You can argue the same for CUK reports, Excalibur, or any other charity. For that matter, most Green Papers use selective methodology to push a particular agenda.

I'm sure any suggestions on methodology would be welcome.
The only way to cover everyone is to put the survey in a census everyone in the whole country has to fill in.
The only way to cover everyone is to put the survey in a census everyone in the whole country has to fill in.
Yes, but that wouldn't be quite as much fun or make so much mischief.
Actually, the census does contain enough data to find out whether the parents of children with disabilities are any worse off than other parents. Definitively. And I would like to know why we are always being bothered with these membership surveys when they are clearly statistically unrepresentative - its just lazy methodology and the politicians can see right through it. So why waste our time: what matters is our individual stories, not this kind of third rate research.
we are wost off now we are short to paying our monthly bills and nothing left for food. i dont no what we are going to do .we have reduced bills we will even have to get rid of the tv and washing matchine as we rent them .as we have never been abel to afford to buy them.even then we are still well short and bo money for food . i dont know what we will do.im trying to find a job as we cant get any thing from the goverment.