[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Do you care for someone with learning disabilities + asthma? - Carers UK Forum

Do you care for someone with learning disabilities + asthma?

Take part in research or give your opinion in a survey.
Asthma UK is the charity dedicated to improving the health and well-being of the 5.4 million people in the UK who have asthma. They work with people with asthma, healthcare professionals and researchers to develop and share expertise to help people increase their understanding of asthma and reduce the effect of asthma on their lives.

Asthma UK wants to develop accessible asthma information for people with a learning disability and are keen to seek the views of carers and the people they care for.

What do you want to know about asthma and how do you think this information should be presented to ensure it is as accessible as possible for someone with learning disabilities?

If you have any thoughts or ideas for this project please email Kate Taylor - ktaylor@asthma.org.uk or call 020 7786 4923.

Asthma UK is a registered charity in England 802364 and in Scotland SCO39322
Yes and don't I know it!

Information won't help my son, who has autism, severe learning difficulties, epilepsy and seasonal asthma. But some training of GP's and asthma nurses would be helpful.

This year my son's asthma is bad so he has been on steriod inhalers for the last month. Now he has thrush in his throat, caused by the inhaler. So he's coughing from the asthma, coughing from the sore throat and generally making his throat rawer which means he's coughing even more. He has been given lozengers to suck until they are gone which means I have to spend 20 minutes, four times a day, dancing with him and sucking furiously so that he sucks and doesn't crunch. Surely there must be an easier way? GP has also told me to get him to gargle after using the steriod inhaler, to remove the particles from his throat - anyone know how to teach someone who is severely learning disabled how to do this? He uses a dry powder inhaler as the replacement of smashed spacers was too costly!

Yesterday I had to take a sputum sample - 'Just pop a sputum sample to the hospital' I was told - I shan't bother with the details, but it took 6 hours to get the damned thing. And a friend had to run it to the hospital as I couldn't get away to do it (I also care for my elderly frail Mother).

I am exhausted, my son is exhausted and still the asthma rages. And i can't help feeling there must be a more manageable way to deal with all this.