[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Carers over 50. Silver surfers? - Carers UK Forum

Carers over 50. Silver surfers?

Take part in research or give your opinion in a survey.
We have been contacted by a video production company working for the NHS who are making a video to go on the new NHS Carers Direct website to celebrate "Silver Surfers day" - a campaign to (and I quote...) "give older people (over 50), a chance to get to know the Internet and to enjoy the ease and excitement that being online brings"

The main idea of the film is "to highlight how much support there is online for carers". I assume they mean this forum as well as carers direct and other websites!

They are looking for carers over the age of 50.
They would need the carer for approx half a day
They would travel to your house and the filming would be very informal - just interviewing and a
camerman.
They need to film the footage within the next 2 weeks

If anyone is interested can you email me matt.hill@carersuk.org

Thanks

Matt
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

That's it then, is it?

I'm 51 and am now an OLDER PERSON ................ that's made me very sad. Is that how we're seen ................. old? Yes, I'm a bit grey and I do dye my hair, but (over 50) it says ...

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! don't like it.
The NHS regards anyone over 50 as old.

Social Services say old age starts at 65. All of a sudden I like social services! Image
I've been going online since 1982, actually a long time before the Internet was even invented, we had various dial-up services even then. As a kid in the 1960's I used to do my drawing on waste paper from my dad's office mainframe computer readouts.... I think the term is a bit patronising, it was actually our generation who invented the internet, maybe we should be calling them "wet-behind-the-ears-surfers"
How patronising Image Image Image

Most of the "older people (over 50)" I know were using computers before that lot were even out of nappies Image Image
Matt, there's not a lot 'right' with your OP Image

Having read it, all the responses reflect my own views and I just switched off and went to bed.

Mike.
How patronising Image Image Image

Most of the "older people (over 50)" I know were using computers before that lot were even out of nappies Image Image
Isn't it just, the best deterrent to getting over 50s involved which I can think of Image Image Image .

My husband is silver-haired, I am not, we are both over 50, I surf he does not, what does that make us other than a couple of geriatrics, geriatric at 50 Image !
Can I just add that those words were not mine. Image Image My Dad is 69 rides a motorbike and has 4 laptops, blackberry and i-phone and is more computer savvy than anyone my age. Knowing his response to being called "old", I did suspect that saying 50 was "old" would be like a red rag to a bull!
We're not blaming you Matt but did you not see the flak coming ? I'd guess you've not had much response by the way of volunteers and I'd also suspect all on here are too late - we've got the 'Net sussed, partly or what but probably more than they're wanting Image

"Hit any key to continue"

Err, help, I can't find the 'any' key.
To qualify as a silver surfer i would first need to grow some hair Image