Calling Carers across England!

Take part in research or give your opinion in a survey.
FYI: This is the same study that I advertised in a previous post - but after discussions we have widened the catchment area for the study to the whole of England.

Calling Carers across England!

Are you:

• Married to, living with, or civilly-partnered to someone that is physically disabled?
• Does your partner receive a personal budget to help pay for their social care costs?

If you have answered ‘YES’ to the above questions, please read on.

Introduction
My name is Dr Emma Richardson, and I am a Researcher at Carers Federation Ltd, a Nottingham-based charity that provides services for carers.

In collaboration with Dr Mary Larkin (De Montfort University, Leicester), I am doing a piece of research that will investigate the personalisation agenda from a carers’ perspective.

I would like to find out from you:

• How your partner is using their personal budget
• How this may have affected the relationship that you have with your partner, as well as other people
• How your life may have changed as a result of your partner receiving a personal budget

We are conducting this research to try and find out how the personalisation agenda, i.e. putting people in control of their own social care, is affecting the relationships between couples, where the disabled partner receives a Personal Budget, and the other person has been, or is their carer.

We would like to speak to 40 carers whose partner is physically disabled. By this, we mean someone whose partner has:

• A mobility or physical impairment, or
• A spinal cord injury or disability, or
• An acquired or traumatic brain injury, or
• A visual or hearing impairment,

How do I take part?

If you decide to take part in this project we will ask you to:-

• allow us to interview you for around one hour
• allow us to digitally audio-record what you say to us so that we can type it up

We can interview you in your home, or if you would be more comfortable, at a public venue, such as your local carers centre. Telephone interviews can also be arranged.

As a token of our appreciation for taking part in this study, we will give you a
£10 High Street voucher, which can be spent in a number of well known shops.

If you decide that you would like to take part in this research, please
contact Emma on 0115 962 1776.

If you are unsure if you are eligible, please contact me, and I will be able to help you.

What will happen afterwards?

After the interview, you do not have to do anything more. If you wish, we can send you a written copy of the interview so that you can read it, change anything, or add anything else that you may want to say.

We will use the information you provide us with, in a completely anonymous
format, to write journal articles for publication, give presentations on our
findings, and give recommendations about how carers can best be supported as service users become responsible for managing their own care via the
Personalisation Agenda.
We will send you a summary of the study results in an easy-to-read format once the study has completed. We anticipate that this will be in October 2012.

What are my rights?

It is for you to choose if you want to take part in this project.

If you decide to take part and later change your mind, you are free to withdraw from the project at any time.

There are no right or wrong answers, we are just interested in hearing about how your relationship with your partner might have changed since your partner has received a Personal Budget to help pay for their social care.

Any personal information you provide will be kept confidential. No information that could identify you will be published.

How do I get in touch?

Please telephone, e-mail or write to any of us at the contact addresses below.
We are happy to answer any of your questions.

Dr. Mary Larkin
School of Applied Social Sciences
Faculty of Health and Life Sciences
De Montfort University
Leicester
LE1 9BH
Tel: 0116 257 7985
E-mail: mlarkin@dmu.ac.uk

Dr. Emma Richardson
Carers Federation Ltd
1 Beech Avenue
Sherwood Rise
Nottingham
NG7 7LJ
Tel]e.richardson@carersfederation.co.uk[/url]
If I am the sole 'Carer 'for my wife, and I am, can she claim a personal budget? I didn't think she could. Are they means tested? If my wife is entitled to have a personal budget, how does she go about getting one?
If I am the sole 'Carer 'for my wife, and I am, can she claim a personal budget? I didn't think she could. Are they means tested? If my wife is entitled to have a personal budget, how does she go about getting one?
I'm sorry, but this is something you'll have to take up with your local authority, as I have no idea about policies and procedures in Somerset.
Hello! I am bumping this thread in case there are any carers out there who did not see this thread a few months ago.
How are things going with the study, Emma? Our problem locally is that too few personal budgets have really rolled out as yet.
Hi Charles.

Things are starting to pick up; i've been busy with a couple of other studies, which have quietened down, so I've been back on this, trying to raise awareness, and it's paying off, I've had a fairly constant trickle of participants, i've got 8 so far, a few on a list to call back (in the process of moving onto PBs from DPs).

So it's getting there - am hoping for a 'surge' in the next few weeks, as various organisations are sending information out on my behalf to their memberships, putting information into Autumn newsletters, etc. So fingers crossed!