[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Need serious advice - Carers UK Forum

Need serious advice

Useful links, tips, and advice on how to be active
Hi everyone, I really need some advice on the carers and my mum as in my opinion they are outright neglecting her and no one takes any concerns seriously at all. So my mums only 60 and has severe multiple sclerosis and her condition in the last couple months has drastically gotten worse and in that time she started having different carers come in (same company new people), and in that time the quality of care has gotten abysmal and her condition deteriorated rapidly. One of these "new" people they sacked as she left people in chairs all night after deciding she couldn't be bother to turn up for her calls and didn't inform anyone that she wasn't doing it (honestly why oh why would you employer her again, the fist time she was terrible and its just the same now, somehow manages to "full bed wash" her and feed her breakfast in 20 minutes (takes 10 minutes to eat), how they do her that quickly is beyond me).

Her skin has started getting really bad recently as her position is never change and has a lot of skin rubbing together, she has developed a sore in her groin where the skins been rubbing together so she's on antibiotics, steroid cream and barrel cream. The wound is nasty and stunk, I don't get how it hasn't been noticed before it gets to the stage its infected and stinky. Since this happened (3 days ago) she's since developed another sore where her calf rubs on her back, when the first one developed I told the to put barrier cream where the skin rubs to prevent it happening (they clearly haven't done it and she's had the barrier cream since she's been bed bound so theirs no excuse for it not being used but then the new people haven't been trained to do it).

Two weeks ago she was having a bad day and couldn't go in her chair properly, since then she hasn't got out of bed as waiting for a review, for ONE bad day. No trying her the next day or anything and anyone knows people can have bad days, especially with MS I don not get how an office can know what someones like when they've never done it. I did have a go at them about it and told the manger to try, knowing full well if they'd have tried then she would have gone in fine her muscles were too contracted the other day but they're fine now. They also need to reposition her every call and hoist her out of bed to prevent these sores etc. but in the last 3 days she's been lifted once. They seem to think repositioning is simply pulling her up when she's slipped but theirs no relive for her bottom or the lower half of her back, and when she was getting out of bed and into the chair she had no issues whatsoever. Also, her shower chair broke and the physios have had 5 months to replace it yet have failed to do so, emailed and phoned social worker for update she never answers or gets back rang the OT who said someone would be out 3 weeks ago but never happened.

Because the haven't been doing any repositioning the muscles in her legs have become that tense and are continually contracting, so much so her feet are right up her back and she's constantly laying on one. In the 4 years she's had these carers I haven't ever noticed them try and straighten her legs or do any exercises with them despite the physio recommending thats exactly what they need to do. Its so bad now we have to ply her full of morphine just for her to have any pain relief and even then she's still screaming out in constant pain, and clearly the carers can't be bothered to do anything to make it better.

I've also asked the carers to wash her hair every other day, it takes 5 minutes and they're fully capable yet they find it so hard to even do that, despite it being the same carers 4 days of the week. I've now tried enforcing her hair washed everyday as they can't do it every other to no avail, I've told them hundreds of time and emailed the office 4 times yet all I get back from the office is "The staff have been advised to wash your mum's hair, but it is not recommended that her hair be washed every day". WHY, I've asked 3 times and its what my mum wants, she's always washed her hair everyday and thats how she likes it yet they seem so hellbent on her not being able to make up her mind about something that makes her feel better yet when they half heatedly ask if she wants to be lifted out of bed (which I don't think she should have a choice in the matter as its vital for her not getting pressure sore or worsening her already bad legs) and the issue is not time they get an hour in a morning yet it's constantly 20 mins.

The other issues are; food not being heated properly and they don't read the instructions, general timekeeping (call times range between hours), no following care plan, not doing what you tell them (they go to mum and ask if its okay to not do what I've asked them), having full blow conversations in another language which confuses my mum, no fresh drinks (on numerous occasions I've come to give her some juice in her water bottle and the waters been in that long it stinks, I really don't know how hard it is for them to change it every single call and something you shouldn't even have to check).

On top of all of this her social worker doesn't listen (or give a toss), CQC can't take individual complaints and the ombudsman wont do anything as the council wont respond to a complaint (I have complained what seems like hundreds of times to the council about the company and the social worker only to either hear nothing back or just get a letter to go to the social worker (how does that work that you complain about the social worker and then get referred back to that social worker?) On top of this also she had a cancer scare last year in which diagnosis was delayed as the carers never got her ready for 3 appointments and could have had a serious impact on her health as a result (kinda wish is was so I didn't have to watch her be abused tbh) and in January they dropped her on her head as they didn't strap the strap in the hoist properly, at the same time the council was investigating them for the neglect of another patient) yet the company still can't be stopped.

Now my mum's social worker has left (HORAYYY!!) but we weren't made aware or anything like that, which is a joke in itself and we have a meeting tomorrow. How the hell do I make them listen to me and my concerns? At this point I feel its pointless but I'm not giving up, I've emailed fresh complaints to the council. We need a new company or a home as it too much to deal with, I can't work as I can't trust the carers and have absolutely no life just watching everything the carers don't do and rectify the matter and I'm only 25! The social worker dose not take her going into a home seriously, and they wont get her a new company as "there isn't another company" which is BS if I ever heard it.

Before you start and say "the carers have a difficult job" I don't want to hear it, these carers a lazy and don't care and have enough time to do it properly and if they can abuse someone in this way and not do anything about they're just dirty abusers that need sending to prison and when they drop the soap they truly know what abuse is. The most vile, evil people on this planet. She's scheduled for 2 hours and 15 minutes of calls a day and all she's getting is about 45 mins, the carers are happy to sit outside in the car for an hour after they've left rather than do the job properly.
That's a terrible situation. It is beyond comprehension that no action is being taken.
They are not giving care, it is abuse and neglect, derogation of duty and abuse of contract.

I don't have any answers beyond what you have done.
Please keep checking back for replies.

Can you try covert camera(s) to reveal what is or rather what is not happening?

I understand your frustrations as a care company we used went from bad to worse. I terminated the contract forthwith when things came to a head but they were nowhere near as bad as what you have described.
I suggest you try a slightly different approach: use the words "Safeguarding" and "Neglect."

If your Mum is verbal, record her comments about the care workers, how she feels, what she wants. I'm assuming she tires easily and that you'll need to take more than one recording to get everything. Play that to the social worker and point out that the ball is now in their court to take action. Better still, get her to say what she wants to the social worker but make sure the social worker does not interrupt as this may break your Mum's concentration.
Thank you everyone for your advise, unfortunately my dad is now very sick on top so I now have the both of them to do absolutely everything for :(. They aren't helping at all, so much so I'm that P***ed off with them I've just told them to do one, for two whole days they haven't even washed a bowl or plate that they've used. I NOT DOING IT. It will get to the point where they have to do it cuz im not. Ill hide me and my dad a couple plates bowls etc and just leave the rest to pile high F*** em. They've used a whole tube of cream in days, theyre only meant to be applying small amounts ffs. Ive not got to spend another hour on the phone and walk to the chemist to get more, I have zero time for my bloody self ffs.
Jamie
It is a dreadful predicament and an awful case of incompetence, neglect and abuse.

Have you contacted the Ombudsman(?) about this? is it time to take that step?

Rant.
Breathe.
Rant.
Draw breath.

I don't have any expertise legal or otherwise advice or magic wand, however I've had issues with poor care from a care company before and involved the CQC but in the end I ended the contract as they just got worse.
To my mind all these things not being done are contempt for client, contract and employer, no teamwork, no demonstration of management or supervision - it is basically a frustration of contract in my mind and a complete system failure at this extent of poor fullfilment of contract.

How about approaching it in the eyes of an auditor on the company.

As you've pointed out they need to get their own house in order so that they can get yours in order.

Care sheet jobs not done- clients needs not met - neglect, abuse, derogation of duty, misconduct, frustration of contract, no teamwork, contempt of customer, management and company no supervision or no effective supervision.

Phoning to ask if ok not to do xyz - coercion? laziness? Wanton and brazen laziness and neglect, misconduct.

Company policies not upheld - client complaints and issues not resolved, carers not speaking English in front of client.

Complaints not resolved, issues recurring - breakdown in management responsibility, lack of supervision, procedures ignored, complete disregard of clients, does it take the ombudsman, a solicitor, filmed incidents going in a tv programme or a coroner report/inquest for them to get compliant?

Time creepage for calls - more clients than carers can handle do the ones who get you into trouble, the quietest ones last. More carers required.

It seems that the care company needs to go back to basics with your mums care, brief the staff again on the care plan and their duties when there and to address all the issues and ensure they don't happen or better still a change of team and for them to do spot supervisor checks.

I am sure they will have policy about only speaking English in front of clients, find out and ask them to address that because it is disconcerting for the client and plain rude.

Unscramble it all
detach emotion and anger
Be pragmatic
Keep the letter short and punchy if you can to one page
add attachments eg impact statement - the non-compliance and the effect eg your mother seizing up
do bullet points of the issues
Do statement paragraphs about it
do an impact statement paragraph or two

They need an immediate rebrief of the carers on policy, care plan etc

As others said CC the MP, CQC, Soc Svs, head office

Tell them if there is no improvement in xx weeks you will be contacting the Ombudsman and your mothers solicitor.
Breezey wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:24 pm
To my mind all these things not being done are contempt for client, contract and employer, no teamwork, no demonstration of management or supervision - it is basically a frustration of contract in my mind and a complete system failure at this extent of poor fullfilment of contract.

How about approaching it in the eyes of an auditor on the company.

As you've pointed out they need to get their own house in order so that they can get yours in order.

Care sheet jobs not done- clients needs not met - neglect, abuse, derogation of duty, misconduct, frustration of contract, no teamwork, contempt of customer, management and company no supervision or no effective supervision.

Phoning to ask if ok not to do xyz - coercion? laziness? Wanton and brazen laziness and neglect, misconduct.

Company policies not upheld - client complaints and issues not resolved, carers not speaking English in front of client.

Complaints not resolved, issues recurring - breakdown in management responsibility, lack of supervision, procedures ignored, complete disregard of clients, does it take the ombudsman, a solicitor, filmed incidents going in a tv programme or a coroner report/inquest for them to get compliant?

Time creepage for calls - more clients than carers can handle do the ones who get you into trouble, the quietest ones last. More carers required.

It seems that the care company needs to go back to basics with your mums care, brief the staff again on the care plan and their duties when there and to address all the issues and ensure they don't happen or better still a change of team and for them to do spot supervisor checks.

I am sure they will have policy about only speaking English in front of clients, find out and ask them to address that because it is disconcerting for the client and plain rude.

Unscramble it all
detach emotion and anger
Be pragmatic
Keep the letter short and punchy if you can to one page
add attachments eg impact statement - the non-compliance and the effect eg your mother seizing up
do bullet points of the issues
Do statement paragraphs about it
do an impact statement paragraph or two

They need an immediate rebrief of the carers on policy, care plan etc

As others said CC the MP, CQC, Soc Svs, head office

Tell them if there is no improvement in xx weeks you will be contacting the Ombudsman and your mothers solicitor.

Hi Beezey thank you so much for this advice. Sorry its took a while to respond, I've been that bogged down and my dads gonna be in hospital quite a while it seems so its just complete stress at the moment.

I've had a very productive talk with the new social worker today, and my mum actually managed to speak up for herself as well (something she struggles with) and me and my mum were both on the same page in regards to the issues. The social worker actually listened to the concerns and seems like she wants my mums care to get better and whilst they may not be closing down the company as I want she is actually willing to listen. Without me even having to bring up direct payments the social worker said it may be an option for my mum again and if we knew anyone who could potentially do it, and it just so happens that the carer whom my mum had before the agency is starting to look for a new job! The old carer did actually carer for her and do everything for her and we never felt she was unsafe in her care. I'd even be willing to help with the manual handling if need be and it would be much less of a hassle than having these lot in 4 times daily. Needless to say both me and my mum are very happy with the response so far and we have a meeting to discuss further next week, honestly feels like so much of a relief for the social worker to actually listen and not just straight up dismiss concerns and willing to do something about it (the other was the complete opposite). By the looks of it she's read all the notes, she's seen that lots of complaints have been made about the lack of care. She did suggest a meeting with the manager of the company until she realised how many of the complaints are the same thing over and over and nows she's just coming on her own to see the issues and report it back to the manager to fix, thats not a bad thing in this case, the company manger always has excuses (short staff, COVID, the sun came out today etc.)

I've also used two CQC inspections against them, the CQC have found numerous faults with safety, effectiveness and management. The CQC have told them (3 years ago since the inspection) they need better management, actually give staff inspections (they still don't), they even found they don't even follow through with their own procedures, they don't log complaints to improve, DBS check staff and there's widespread evidence of law breaking. CQC seems pretty pointless like surely they ought to be closed and made to improve and you'd think the owner would fire the manager when they've had consistent inadequate rating by them and they're constantly "requiring improvement".

Things are actually seeming that I may be able to have a life after all, and the hope of that is such a relief. Its soo difficult seeing your mum in this situation day in day out, you can tell she's really happy she may get the old carer back and its something she wanted since she forced to leave. I'm just so happy that it appears to be going in good direction and hopefully I wont have to keep watch all the time and be able to go and do things without having to worry.
Hi Jamie

No worries, you've had a lot on.

Glad to hear about the social worker and your mum.

I'd exercise some caution with the old carer if she is working as a self employed carer, what happens if she is ill, on holiday or has an emergency? Will she have insurance etc as a self employed?

The SW has got the measure of that company and their failings.
Unfortunately the CQC doesn't have any teeth. The next step is the Ombudsman, solicitors, newspapers or if there are other care companies, change to one of them.

There is hope and things are moving in good directions.

Good luck.