[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
carer is about to reach old pension age - Carers UK Forum

carer is about to reach old pension age

Useful links, tips, and advice on how to be active
my carer is about to reach state pension age, and shesays when she starts drawing her state pension she will no longer be able to get carers allowance. could i have it paid to myself and pay her?
Hi Steve

Carers Allowance can only be paid to the person providing care, and if they have another benefit of a particular type - like Retirement Pension - and it is as high as or higher than Carers Allowance, the Carers Allowance will stop. It may be worth her contacting Pension Credit, though. By being a carer, there may be additional money available. The Helpline is a good place to start, on 0808 808 7777, Mon-Fri 9-6pm.
first thanks for replying,
the lady says she is willing to delay getting her state pension for another year, is that ok?
thanks
steve_2209 wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:26 am
first thanks for replying,
the lady says she is willing to delay getting her state pension for another year, is that ok?
thanks
Yes she can defer her State Pension - by deferring it she can actually build up a larger State Pension for when she does eventually decide to retire and claim it.

- see here for details

https://www.gov.uk/deferring-state-pension/what-you-get
As Susieq says, it is possible to defer claiming the pension. But the amount it gains by doing so will not replace the amount lost by not claiming it if it is significantly higher than Carers Allowance.

As an example, and using the full amount of the current pension, she'd be turning down £185.15 a week to keep £69.70 - that's a huge gap. No amount of additional pension from deferment will bring in an extra £116 a week. All you'd be doing is saving the government money.

She can continue to care while receiving a pension. In fact, only about 1 in 7 carers, if that, receive Carers Allowance.