[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Stay in for up to four months possible - Carers UK Forum

Stay in for up to four months possible

Guidance on coronavirus and a place to share concerns and support
Omg face self isolating for that long as have underlying health condition. To make it effective my whole family will have to do the same, as many others in the country!

Better than the alternative. But it's a long time. My worry is it will be longer.

I can't stay in for two days normally.. but if my life depends on it.

How will others on here cope with that?
I'll go out in the New Forest and have a walk on my own. I dread the phone call that asks me to have my son home again as there is no one available to care for him. I'm not supposed to care for any one ever again.
All the issues we have had over the years, bad weather, snow, health scares, no extra help has ever been provided.
We have just been left to cope on our own.
I have a 78 year old brother with LD he lives with me I am 60 so to make it work I would have to go into isolation as well. I will end up behind bars if I have to be with him all the time if he does not go to his Day Centre which will probably be closed anyway :(
Feel the same - would be totally suicidal if with my husband for 4 whole months.

I am 58. I WILL go out - will need to frankly as we do not do everything on line. But I will be extra careful to limit it to just necessary things and wash my hands before and after.

That said, self limiting anyway as the hotel where we have the Book Club is not taking non essential bookings, the Wine Club has been cancelled and so has Rotary. I am very worried the vets will close or have limited hours opening.

I took a taxi to the vets today as normal and guy said that the pub he was at last night was doing a roaring trade but he also mentioned the panic buying.

We have an upstairs and downstairs bathroom but only one kitchen although he usually has fortisips so hopefully it will be ok but I do hope they do not try to MAKE carers totally self isolate too as most of us are sensible to do it to the degree that will work for us. Also is anyone worried what would happen if our caree needed non coronavirus treatment? I guess it just would not happen?
I feel the same Lindi. S and I will go loopy if S is home all the time. Also his anxiety will go through the roof if everywhere is closed.

BB, We will still be walking for exercise, too.

Helena, Special Olympics is cancelled, my Uni is closing / everyone to work online.

Lonfonbound, am sure we’ll all be left looking after each other.

Melly1
I don't mind the social isolating at all, I'm perfectly happy in my own company, I'll be going out in the New Forest for a couple of hours as usual most days, and I don't have to self isolate until June 23rd. ;)
Ayjay,
enjoy your walks. How fab to have the New Forest on your doorstep.

It’s different when you have a caree who can’t be left alone.

Being with S 24/7 is tough as no brain break.

We live in a town and although we do have parks they are full of dogs off leads and S is dog phobic. Looks like we'll be walking around the streets.

Melly1
Hi I am trying to be upbeat as pos about next few weeks/month? I care for my mum, she is 84 and has c.o.p.d. and asthma, it’s just me and her living together, I’m her full time carer she’s def in the danger category and need to do everything to protect her. Have had major falling out with my sister and her husband who usually visit mum Saturdays, I feel anyone who insists on visiting should wash hands soon as coming in, no hugs, sit well away from her and wear a mask, my sister is annoyed I’m insisting on these measures and and sat right next to mum for 4hrs. Can I really be wrong here? Would love to know unbiased opinions
Melly1 wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:51 pm
Ayjay,
enjoy your walks. How fab to have the New Forest on your doorstep.

It’s different when you have a caree who can’t be left alone.
Melly1
Thanks Melly. Yes, the NF is a definite bonus, and once you get to know it there's always somewhere quiet, even on Bank Holidays if you don't mind a bit of rough terrain.

I don't think I could cope with that: I've been looking into respite breaks recently and I can potentially get up to 3 hours per week (I know I can allow that to build up) but I can get two or three hours out anyway, so it's pointless.

Sue_170912345 wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:50 pm
I feel anyone who insists on visiting should wash hands soon as coming in, no hugs, sit well away from her and wear a mask, my sister is annoyed I’m insisting on these measures and and sat right next to mum for 4hrs. Can I really be wrong here? Would love to know unbiased opinions
You're not wrong at all, the more contact with other people and the more people that those people have had contact with equals more risk. That is completely irrefutable. How does your sister think that it's spread?

Fortunately my caree is as fit as a fiddle (apart from the MS and its multiple nasty symptoms), she's never even had the flu and very rarely gets a cold, so I'm not too concerned about the carers that come in four times per week.