[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
SHOPPING PROBLEMS - Page 11 - Carers UK Forum

SHOPPING PROBLEMS

Guidance on coronavirus and a place to share concerns and support
211 posts
Two things that do concern me regarding food supplies:

1) Do you realise just how much of our fresh veg and fruit comes from overseas ? Strawberries from Spain; blueberries from Chile; green beans from Gambia are a few that spring to mind - just check the labels. How soon before they begin to be in short (or non-existent supply ?)

2) Our own farmers have fields full of fresh produce, but who is going to pick and pack it ? Seasonal workers from eastern European countries won't be allowed into the country so I foresee shortages of home grown produce too.Or is it all going to be allowed to rot in the ground ?
Yep ... off forum , very much in the thoughts of several contacts.

As highlighted a few months ago , the position of EEC nationals in both social care and the NHS come a hard Brexit.

Now add on the ongoing situation in areas like Lincolnshire with the harvest season soon to commence.

Further aspirated by the sheer number of non EEC nationals among the army of pickers ... Belarusian / Ukrainian / Russian being predominate.

Now technically stranded with no recourse to the UK benefit system ... most will say they knew the risks and accepted them.

Hard to socially distance themselves no thanks to the " Usual " type of accommodation made available to the seasonal workers.

Not a happy time to be a resident of Boston ... as if there ever was such a time ?
Coronavirus : Aldi, Morrisons and Waitrose lift some restrictions.

Aldi, Morrisons and Waitrose are easing restrictions on some of their products which were imposed in the wake of stockpiling earlier this month.

All the major supermarkets restricted customers to buying fixed amounts of individual items to keep shelves full.

Aldi is now scrapping limits completely on all but a few items, while Morrisons and Waitrose have also removed some limits and changed others.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52102906

Full article contains much more details ... worth 5 minutes if anyone is using ANY of the supermarkets.
Blind 'not vulnerable enough' for food deliveries.

A blind couple struggling to get online food deliveries because they are not considered vulnerable enough are calling on the government to ensure they have access to priority shopping.

Glen and Rowan Graham, from Devon, said they are scared because they cannot drive themselves to the supermarket.

The Royal National Institute of Blind People (RNIB) is campaigning to class blind people as vulnerable.

The government said it was "working to identify others who may need support".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-52115030

1.5 million ... or closer to north of 10 million ... ?
Related news item ... those numbers again ???

Doubts over take-up of UK government emergency food parcels.

Food banks and charities also warn that elderly and vulnerable people are already going hungry.

However, official guidance sent to local authorities seen by the Guardian reveals that the government anticipates that no more than 400,000 people self-isolating in their homes would sign up for free food parcels over the next few weeks, with the rest expected to turn it down because they have support from family and friends.

Separately, food banks have warned that potentially hundreds of thousands of older and vulnerable people who do not qualify for help through the emergency delivery scheme, but who are self-isolating at home, are now reliant on over-stretched food charities’ supplies to access food safely.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... od-parcels

Interlocks with other current threads ... mutual aid groups being just one.
Food banks don't need to subsidise people just because they can't get to the shops. It's just there needs to be a better delivery network. Surely this is where the Army can help, or even school kids?
Some food banks are now " Lending " essentials to the mutual aid groups.

In turn , the mutual aid groups are supplying many vulnerable people yet to be on any " official " list.

Best to view both as part of the same problem ... getting essentials in the first place , and then delivering them.

Next step will be the local farmers ... bringing them into the local network.

A case of necessity ... rather than having the correct paperwork ... or being on a central Government list ?

If left to the Government / supermarkets alone , when would any vulnerable person receive essential supplies ?
Several reports coming in of discoveries being made by local mutual aid groups who have been knocking on doors.

My local group ... surrounding ex pit village ... wheelchair bound widow ... no carer called for three days , pre payment meter run out two days prior ,
biscuits for food as no microwave meals left ...

Just one ... how many hundreds if not thousands more to come ?

A vulnerable list is one thing , the reality at ground zero ... wherever you live ... is another.
Understandably this online shopping is going to be very hit and miss for some time to come. Shame we cannot turn the clock back and see Milk men doing their Daily rounds with the basics.,

I am over 70 so really do not want to go out early mornings and stand shivering in a queue. I look after my disabled daughter who cannot get out and now cannot get a delivery slot. She is wheelchair bound and also has a low immune system so I have to do her shopping as well as mine. If there are restrictions on the amount I can buy then I have to go out shopping 2 - 3 times a week. it is madness!

So it is. "Stay at home and go hungry or feed yourself but risk catching the virus and passing it on"
Great choice !!!!
Maxwell_1602 wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:53 am
Understandably this online shopping is going to be very hit and miss for some time to come. Shame we cannot turn the clock back and see Milk men doing their Daily rounds with the basics.,

I am over 70 so really do not want to go out early mornings and stand shivering in a queue. I look after my disabled daughter who cannot get out and now cannot get a delivery slot. She is wheelchair bound and also has a low immune system so I have to do her shopping as well as mine. If there are restrictions on the amount I can buy then I have to go out shopping 2 - 3 times a week. it is madness!

So it is. "Stay at home and go hungry or feed yourself but risk catching the virus and passing it on"
Great choice !!!!
there is a 3rd option - you could contact one of the volunteer groups that have been set up across the country to help out those who are vulnerable or who have problems getting their food/medication supplies
https://covidmutualaid.org/
211 posts