[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
New tool for Instant messaging GPs for Carers - Carers UK Forum

New tool for Instant messaging GPs for Carers

Guidance on coronavirus and a place to share concerns and support
Dear Carers UK Forum,

This is my first post and I wanted to start by saying a big hello and thank you to all of the essential teams during this time.

By way of introduction, I’m part of an NHSx approved messaging and communication tool called Pando. Over the last 3 years we have grown to become a 50,000 strong network of doctors and nurses in the NHS. https://www.nhs.uk/apps-library/pando/

We’re now exploring making the network available to carers as an instant way to contact GPs and other healthcare professionals for advice and guidance.

We’re hoping to speak to anybody who may be willing to help test and refine this instant type of communication, and we’d love to use your feedback to make it better and more valuable.

As one example of how the platform is being used, it enables care teams to immediately speak with a GP, Community Nurse, or specialty doctor in their CCG or Trust as an alternative to 111 during very busy times.

Please take a look at the the following video and if you would be interested in becoming an early part of the project just let us know! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSoH71P ... e=youtu.be

Best regards,

Philip
Founder
https://hellopando.com/
This sounds really interesting. I'll take a look this evening. We need all the help we can get at the moment.
Could you please clarify if this new tool is for PROFESSIONAL carers or also for those who care for friends/family in an unpaid, non-professional capacity (the unacknowledged, forgotten army that saves the Government in excess of £1 billion per annum)

Carers UK is actually a charity that supports and advises those in the latter category.
Sounds all very good. The big problem us unpaid carers have is that we contact our GPs but find it difficult to get a timely, let alone instant, response! Messaging is one thing, two way communication is something else!
Hi Susie, thanks for the question. We'd like to make the tool available to as many carers as possible. Professional and non-Professional. After-all, many of the same challenges are faced.

If you would like to discuss I'd be very pleased to arrange a call.
Regards,
Philip

edited by Moderator to remove personal email address
susieq wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:12 pm
Could you please clarify if this new tool is for PROFESSIONAL carers or also for those who care for friends/family in an unpaid, non-professional capacity (the unacknowledged, forgotten army that saves the Government in excess of £1 billion per annum)

Carers UK is actually a charity that supports and advises those in the latter category.
Susieq,

So what I took from it is in its current state, Pando is aimed towards professionals/those who are employed within the NHS, Local Authority, or secondary care (care homes, care agencies).

Like a wider-reaching take on Hospify, which itself is an NHS approved app aimed at deterring professionals from sharing sensitive data over less secure/mainstream software like WhatsApp, the latter being more familiar to many here. Hospify itself came about because the government wants our health service off of pager technology (which to me is dumb because hospitals and mobile phones don't get along.. its why roughly two thirds of hospitals still use pagers)

Another comparison I guess could be Slack, which is like a business enterprise take on WhatsApp.

Going back to the app itself sheres no mention of unpaid carers at all, you can not physically register on their website without providing information of your "employer". While it is free for employees of the NHS, unlike the health service itself which remains "Free at the point of use" for patients, this app appears to have much of its functionality behind a paywall/monthly subscription.

It looks cool but don't know if its meant for the likes of us.

Best Wishes
Hi Honey Badger, thanks for engaging on this topic. You are quite correct in that platform has traditionally been exclusively available to NHS staff, and private healthcare organisations.

Given the acute pressures of COVID-19, and the acceleration of technology within healthcare we are now exploring the value of the tool for wider groups, including carers both professional and non-professional.

If you would be amenable we would greatly value the opportunity to discuss the big problems faced by non-professional carers that could be improved through communication or access to advice & guidance via our tool.

There is no cost associated with this, and we would be hugely grateful to learn more about how we can add value.

It's our mission as a company to build the largest communication network in healthcare, for the doctor, the nurse, the carer and in time, the patient.

Open to your ideas and looking forward to talking!

Yours,
Philip
Philip,

Please see this thread by Michael

https://www.carersuk.org/forum/44/your- ... ices-40471

The problem by large is access to healthcare itself. We are by hazard of occupation as much patients ourselves as we are carers for others, some of either having health needs coming into the role, or picking them up as a consequence of doing it so long without support.

Many of us have loved ones who require around the clock care and can not be left unattended, including myself.

We pull 100+ hour weeks in working conditions which would be a national scandal if it occurred within the workplace.

I would recommend going through the main website (www.carersuk.org) and reaching out to the organizers, then maybe you can collaborate on a questionnaire - I feel like as a community we respond really well to providing that sort of feedback

Best Wishes
I've been a somewhat sceptical cynic for pretty much all of my life, and I think that once the Covid 19 problem is done and dusted, the unpaid carers will be dropped quicker than I binned my wife's cack filled knickers this evening, (I'd cut them off with a pair of scissors, there was no way I was dragging them off all the way down her legs in that state).

I just can't see this surviving long-term as a help for unpaid carers: can you imagine what it would do to every GP surgery in the country if the 5 million plus unpaid carers had instant access?
Ayjay wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 12:05 am
I've been a somewhat sceptical cynic for pretty much all of my life, and I think that once the Covid 19 problem is done and dusted, the unpaid carers will be dropped quicker than I binned my wife's cack filled knickers this evening, (I'd cut them off with a pair of scissors, there was no way I was dragging them off all the way down her legs in that state).

I just can't see this surviving long-term as a help for unpaid carers: can you imagine what it would do to every GP surgery in the country if the 5 million plus unpaid carers had instant access?
Dear Ayjay, I very much agree with you, and I'm grateful for the hard question.

A simple app can not possibly hope to solve every question and challenge faced by carers, yet we hope to explore the possibility that a new channel of communication between carer and clinician might help for some things.

Your point around sustainability is a very valid one. If technology can provide an advantage, and I believe we have seen a glimmer of potential during this crisis through video consultation, I would very much like to understand how we might be able to support carers in a way that would be sustainable, not just for COVID-19 but beyond. This generally means starting small, and in a focussed way.

Is there, for example, a particular type of question, which perhaps with a picture could be relatively quick to answer providing you have access to a GP, Tissue viability nurse or Community nurse?

Many thanks for the suggestion by Honey Badger. I direct messaged Michael Carers UK with the suggestion of a questionnaire, and soon hope to be in a position soon to ask in which ways better access to clinical advice and guidance might help.

Yours,
Philip